1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

a2sd discussion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MizzouBrent, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

For the record, I am not wiping SD-EXT when I hop from rom to rom anymore. So far it hasn't caused me any issues. I just restore about 9 apps with data on the ones where I want data to be transferred and so far no issues. Pretty nice not having to reinstall everything every time I flash a rom. The reason it works is because app data is stored in the /data partition instead of the /sd-ext partition, so it basically just leaves the base app available upon boot when doing this.

atljatl and Mikestony like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Kinda unclear here, so after you flash your rom without wiping sd-ext, would you run a command in TE to restore the link from the phone to the sd-ext?
    Such as a2sd reinstall? And then you have all apps back? (without data)

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

As long as the rom your installing has a2sd it should automatically detect

Mikestony likes this.
  4. Mikestony

VIP Member

That is freaking awesome! So I no longer need to use Titanium Backup to reinstall apps except if I want data with app installed correct?

Now, what happens when I have an app called, let's make this up, "start my car apk" on my sd-ext....now, my new flashed rom comes with that app.
    I run the a2sd reinstall command...will my apk overwrite the roms apk?

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

it depends where the original start my car that is included in the rom is at. if it is on the system partition, then the a2sd reinstall command will not move the app. you can delete the original apk and the install your apk and then move the app via dt.

Mikestony likes this.
  6. MizzouBrent

Yes and if not automatically detected just run the script

Mikestony likes this.
  7. Mikestony

VIP Member

ok...let me back the bus up here a sec....
    I'm gonna try this new rom which has dt a2sd baked in. I am currently on a rom that has dta2sd working perfectly. I download new rom blah blah blah.
    In recovery, I wipe all except sd and sd-ext.
    I flash new rom.
    My apps are not on phone right now, they are on sd-ext.
    Now heres my confusion.

1. Rx says dt will auto detect---auto detect apps on sd-ext?
    As in, I need not issue a command? And with no commands issued I have apps that are on sd-ext restored?

2. the command "a2sd reinstall", moves apps from phone to sd-ext...but why would I run that command if my apps are already on sd-ext. I just need to repair the link to them correct?
    Do I need to run the command "a2sd repair" to repair the link?

I understand the system apps are not moved, I'm just talking about apps I have gotten from play store.

8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

i have heard some guys say that they don't wipe sd ext between roms and it works for them. I haven't ever tried that myself though.

I think you would still have to restore or install the apps to the new rom before they would be recognized by a2sd to be linked from the phone to sd ext.

9. Mikestony

VIP Member

That was my thought..
    The command "a2sd remove" will take apps from sd-ext and move them to the phone's internal. Now, no apps on sd-ext.
    Now, command "a2sd reinstall" will move them back to sd-ext and will set a link to them.
    Argedion had a great write up somewhere about this, I just cant find it atm.:)

dustwun77 likes this.
  10. MizzouBrent

If it moves automatically then you do nothing. Sometimes it works that way. Sometimes it requires you to enter the script which allows your apps on the partition to be seen.

Mikestony and ocnbrze like this.
  11. MizzouBrent

No need to run repair either.

ocnbrze likes this.
  12. ocnbrze

from what i know of a2sd, the only thing that is missing from the discussion is the sym link that is created with a2sd that tells the phone where to look for the app on the sd-ext partition. i think it stores the link in system/app, but i could be wrong. i have had some success with not wiping sd ext and my apps were still there and intact. but on some roms i have had fc's all over the place.

some rom's a2sd will automatically sense the apps on sd-ext and create the link but on others it might not.

edit:i hit reply before i finished. lol

Mikestony likes this.
  13. Mikestony

VIP Member

I think I got it....correct me if I'm wrong.
    After flashing new rom that has a2sd baked in from a rom that I was using dt and have apps on sd-ext. No wiping of sd-ext.

1. New rom dt should auto detect apps on sd-ext, therefore I have all my apps appear. Yay me.

2. New rom flashed, and oops, no apps appear...run a2sd install and now I have my apps. Yay me.
    2a. or run repair also because the symlink is not there either.

Side note, I have ran into this issue with my current Decks Reloaded rom where, after a reboot, my apps are not there. I can usually get them back with a command in TE-- a2sd repair, then a2sd reinstall. Poof! My apps are back....they really never left, the were still on sd-ext.

ocnbrze likes this.
  14. ocnbrze

[​IMG]

Mikestony likes this.
  15. Mikestony

VIP Member

lol...your fingernails need a fresh coat of polish:)

ocnbrze likes this.
  16. ocnbrze

LMOA i did not notice that. oops damn me and my nail biting habit:eek::mad::D

dustwun77 and Mikestony like this.
  17. ocnbrze

so as not to hijack the other thread (its all mikey's fault:mad:) i made a new one.

18. Mikestony

VIP Member

Ah, yes, hijacked it I did:p
    Thanks for starting a new one!

ocnbrze likes this.
  19. brianvillage5

brianvillage5 Well-Known Member

When I flash with smelkus I run super wipe and clear all temp files (cache, dalvik cache, and temp. Files) when I flash a rom weather it be gb or ics all my apps are there upon reboot assuming it has dt script built in. The only thing I have to restore is app data wifi hot spots and my contacts come back with a quick Google sync. So that's my flashing process and it works perfectly everytime.

dustwun77 and Mikestony like this.
  20. MizzouBrent

Yep it's very nice. It's basically just like storing a bunch of fresh, uninstalled apk files that auto install upon flashing a rom with a2sd built in. And if they don't automatically install, just run the terminal command.

Mikestony likes this.
  21. dkl1

dkl1 Android Expert

Wow. Great thread here guys!

ocnbrze and Mikestony like this.
  22. Mikestony

VIP Member

Wassup dk!!!
    I learned something new here also thanks to some great guys!!!
    t-25 days til Decks Reloaded update!!!:D

dkl1 and ocnbrze like this.
  23. brianvillage5

brianvillage5 Well-Known Member

Boo ya can't wait for that either, but hopefully really ill be on the nexus or evo lte by then. But ill still have the evo, or my brother will.

Mikestony likes this.
  24. Mikestony

VIP Member

Mmmmm. Evo lte :D someday

Rxpert83 likes this.
  25. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Just push off that family vacation, they won't mind. ;)

Mikestony likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews