• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A2SD+ help to partition sd card

You need to nandroid backup with your old card in

Copy card contents to PC

Put new card in, mount in Recovery as USB mass storage and partition card with Gparted.

Then copy contents back and nandroid restore.

Dont use rom manager. When you restore your nandroid backup, uninstall it.

I have returned to try and do this as i was unable to get it sorted last time.

I have made a nandroid backup on the original card, copied contents to the new card. On booting into nandroid with the new card in i can select the backup, but it is unable to restore from it.

So, as before, cannot use titanium backup as the app does not show with new card in, and nandroid does not work properly.

I have been able to partition the new card, but copying vontents over does nto work either (no apps show up).

To be honest, I am quite happy to re-download all of my apps, even if i have to pay again! but I cannot even do this, as after booting the phone with the new card in, i do not even have marketplace on the phone!

Please can anyone offer any other solutions to upgrading a memory card on a rooted phone?

Upvote 0
hi,

sorry to resurrect an old thread, just want to be sure I am on the right road.

I rooted my Desire mk1 few days back.

Used unrevoked, then clockworkmod recovery.

I stupidly did not run a backup at this time (Titanium or otherwise!)

I then installed AcesMod007 2.3.3 (Sense 2.1/3.0) which worked fine bar the absence of a lockscreen.
Second mistake, I did not partition the sd card, which was the cause of the no lockscreen issue.
What is the easiest way to resolve this? Bearing in my I seem to be running an old version of clockworkmod, that does not list the option to partition sd card?
I have ordered an 8GB class 4 sd card, so was thinking of just partitioning this, using gparted.
Apologies for the essay, just want to be clear in my own mind how I need to fix this

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I have a similar issue and have read the guide. Although I am having a similar issue that I was hoping someone could help/advise to the next stage? I admit I'm a newbie so don't have a full understanding, therefore, easily could have missed a stage etc.

Basically I have a HTC Desire, I have rooted it through unrevoked.
I have managed to partition the SD card using GParted through Ubuntu
I have managed to format the drive, wipe user data and flash Miui 2.1.6 (which I believe is an a2SD+ rom - correct me if I'm wrong?)

I have installed "quick system info" which shows my A2SD storage as total - 1.43GB, Free 1.32 GB
I have been installing apps, but these still seem to be using internal storage only - in fact I just had a message warning me that internal storage was full.

In order to "force" apps to use this A2SD storage should I be doing something manually, is or could there be something I've missed?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I have a similar issue and have read the guide. Although I am having a similar issue that I was hoping someone could help/advise to the next stage? I admit I'm a newbie so don't have a full understanding, therefore, easily could have missed a stage etc.

I have managed to format the drive, wipe user data and flash Miui 2.1.6 (which I believe is an a2SD+ rom - correct me if I'm wrong?)

I have installed "quick system info" which shows my A2SD storage as total - 1.43GB, Free 1.32 GB
I have been installing apps, but these still seem to be using internal storage only - in fact I just had a message warning me that internal storage was full.

In order to "force" apps to use this A2SD storage should I be doing something manually, is or could there be something I've missed?

apps still use internal storage and by default miui will not move the dalvic cache

if the miui rom is using the darktremor a2sd script that most miui roms use
open terminal emulator and type
su
as2d cachesd

it will reboot your phone and should have moved the dalvic cache to the sdcard

btw how many apps do you have installed.

you partition is rather large btw, that will never get used. 1gb is enough and even then that wont get full before the device internal data does (it doesnt move everything)

read our a2sd "root memory" faq

Reactions: ngriffiths
Upvote 0
Hi there,

depends which Miui, there are lots such as Miui XJ, Miui AU, MIUI US etc etc etc. Please clarify or better yet, link to the version you have.

Upvote 0
su
as2d cachesd

in terminal emulator seems to have worked at least a little

I now have

A2SD storage - total 1.43GB, Free 1.26GB
Internal storage - 148MB, Free 58.6MB

so some of the internal storage has definitely transferred. Does this sound about right or with a different ROM would I be likely to see less internal storage used? Atm my main factor for ROM use is storage space (although obviously it being quick and user friendly is preferable!)

Again, thanks for all of your help - and apologies if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about - the truth is I don't really :)

Upvote 0
If a2sd commands work in terminal, then the ROM is using Dark Tremor, Liek Miui XJ is.

Dark Tremor by default doesn't move Dalvik Cache, so now it will be after that command.

Now your Dark Tremor is moving as much as any other a2sd script. Other roms wont change that.

There are other things to do that can increase the total size of "Internal Storage" however. You're probably wasting 100MB of /system storage right now for example. have a read of the root memory faq.

Reactions: ngriffiths
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones