1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A2SD Preinstalled?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lubberlick, Aug 21, 2011.

1. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    American English Speaking Taxi Guy
    Indianapolis
    Simple question. How do I discover if any version of A2SD is pre-installed by a rom? Would be nice to know so I don't go flashing it when its already there.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you have to read the changelogs for the rom. they are usually on the main page on xda. or if it is like mik's roms or any roms on the mikmik website there is a section for the changelogs.

3. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    American English Speaking Taxi Guy
    Indianapolis
    Ahh I was hoping for something a little more "type this into the phone, if it works then its loaded if not then no". Something I could do without digging and reading :D

4. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    i wish it was that easy. but one good habit is to checkout what the rom has to offer before flashing it. i always head on over to the devs page on xda or whatever there main site is to check out the goodies before flashing. you should know what you are flashing at all times. do not just flash just because someone says to do it.

i think that most roms these days have a2sd built in. i know the mik rom's have it. and all of the sense 3.0 roms have it as well.

5. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    i get confused reading about this and another like named app. I see the option to move apps to sd in settings, apps.

How does this work? does it free up memory and then run well from the sd card?
    don't know what the advantages and pitfalls of this are. Is it reversible?

6. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    ok what you see in settings is something called apps2sd which is something that was added to froyo when it came out. with gingerbread you can also do the same thing. unfrotunately, apps2sd does not move the enitire app. it only moves part of it. this is why any apps that use widgets, those widgets is not useable if you use apps2sd.

now for us with rooted phones we can now have some options on how to move the apps. there is one that is called darktremors(dt). it is basically a script that you can run in terminal emulator and move the apps to the sd card. you need to check the changelogs for a particular rom to see if it supports dt or not. another way is cm a2sd. this is already cooked into the rom. so again check the chaneglogs to find out. here is the script if you want it: [Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [Evo] (01/29/2011)

you need to have your card partitioned to use a2sd. so use this guide here:[GUIDE][07/07/11]How to Partition your SD Card - xda-developers. also in order to use a2sd, it is recommended that youhave a class 6 or higher. you can use a class 4, but keep in mind what is happening. since the app is on the card, your phone needs to be able to read and write on to the sd card. if your class is low then the read and write speeds will be slow and thus your apps will be slow. if you play games or anything high performance app then you definitely want a high card. for games i would recommend a class 10 card.

hope that helps. i think i'm gonna add this to the gingerbread guide.

deezndc, freeop and dustwun77 like this.
Tags: