1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A500 update 4.010.41 installation failure.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jackson1, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

A500 update 4.010.41 installation failure. Hi everyone, first time I've asked for help. Usually someone has had the same problem already and I just do some reading to find the solution. I love this forum and others like it.

Just got a Acer A500. Turned it on and it prompts me to run an update. It downloads okay, unzips then turns off. When it comes back on I get the android symbol and what I assume is an installation progress bar. This bar goes to about 10-15% then stops and I get a god damn red exclamation mark.

I then have to switch off and on to be told update failed. I've reset numerous times and tried again. Just get the same thing. I'm running 3.01 and from what I understand this update which is 350mb or something is 3.1. I want it before I start setting up the tab and stuff. I'm ready to toss it out of the window.

Anyone know how to resolve this or is there a way I can do this manually from the SD card. Where can I find this update to download?

Help! Please!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast

The only thing I heard of trying may sound weird but you can try it. Turn turn the tablet in portrait mode and lock it there then try the update. Its the same thing when you root it. It has to be in the portrait mode. I done know why but let me know if it works. Id like to know if it really does work.

Jackson1 likes this.
  3. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

Thanks for replying. I tried it a few times yesterday and again right now in portrait mode. It didn't work. I might have to download and do it manually from the sd card.

4. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

Still can't get this 3.1 update. I tried booting into recovery and it brought up this ClockworkMod Recovery by thor2002ro. This can't be a stock boot thing because I thought you needed root access to install it according to everything I've been reading.

I grabbed root checker off the market and it's not rooted now. Could the changes made while rooted by previous owner be affecting the official update installation? How can I restore it all to get the update.

Or do you think I shoud root it myself and try and flash a custom version of 3.1. I'm tired of reading about it now instead of using the damn thing.

5. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

You could try a factory reset. I did that on a rooted tab I bought and it set it back to all factory settings removing all the root stuff the previous person had.
    I think it's settings-privacy-factory data reset.

6. splatoid

I knew it was a long shot but what the heck couldn't hurt to try.

You know if you already have CWM on the tablet you can get the update from The XDA web site and put it on your SD card and install it from the CWM menu.Its really easy.

After you get into the menu and before you install the update you clear user settings ,System cache Dalvik Cache and ten install from SD card .
    I could get you the instructions if you want there is also a youtube video to show how to doe it.

Jackson1 likes this.
  7. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

I think I will try the manual update through CWM. Do you know if I need to root it again or can I just go right ahead through CWM?

@2manyPHONES Thanks but that was one of the first things I tried. Still keeps failing.

8. splatoid

You may need to root it again after your done but there is a program you can install first called root checker you can get from market and see if you will need to root again.

9. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

After more forum searching I know why it won't update, Apparently you need to be running the stock recovery to install the updates signed by acer. I found a link on xda to flash stock rom that will wipe CWM or another that will keep CWM but obviously won't get official updates.

Do you think I should flash the leaked rom and learn to use root and CWM or go back to stock? Can I ask how do you run your A500?

10. splatoid

I would leave it Root you have many more options that way. Then you can run NTFS programs for hooking up your Large hard drives.And Titanium backup and many more apps when root. I am bias though I would never go back to stock myself. just make sure you have the proper acer ROM Don't use the leaked from china ROM or you will have to update it again. If your from the US here is the stock ROM to use.
    I will post the stock ROM in a bit if you need it.

11. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

Thanks for your advice, I had almost decided to get rooted and learn more about how it all works. You have convinced me. I'm from the UK, should I not be flashing this stock ROM you have uploaded. I didn't realise there would be a difference.

12. splatoid

Here is a link to the thread with all the update packages. And a bunch of info.
    I'll let you search there Cause I have read that post till my eyes have bleed and I don't have the wherewithal to read it again. But I will help you if you need something. It took me a month of reading before I was comfortable enough to flash my tablet.

13. splatoid

I just got to thinking (i know Really?) but did this Tablet come with a SD Card
    if it does whoever sold it to you may have done a backup and it would be on the card if they did. Search the card if it has one and see what you have on it look in clockworkmod/backup.the backup will have a date on it.them you can boot into recovery and select install backup from SD card. then browse to it and let er rip.

Jackson1 likes this.
  14. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

All done, I found an almost stock 3.1 at XDA. Only change was to add superuser from the off. I'm a happy chappy now. Having CWM on already made it so fast and easy to do. Did a quick backup, now to make some changes and remove some of the crap I'll never use. Thanks for your help, it's pretty nerve wracking messing around with this and seeing constant update failures. I've just started reading the rooting guide for my Htc Desire. Next job. haha

15. splatoid

Great You wont regret it i'm sure.