1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A500 update fails

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nikana, Jul 23, 2011.

1. nikana

nikana Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    My acer a500 i just got from staples wont update.

the first thing the device said when it connected to wifi was there was a 367 meg update.

the update keeps failing at 187

i have tried factory resetting the device, and have tried restarting the update about 6 times

any ideas

Advertisement

2. 1SG31B

1SG31B Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    That seems unusual what the update not downloading. I had problems with the last 3.1 update not working, but it would download. I did not have any issue with this update it downloaded and installed cleanly.

3. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    Do you have it pluged in and is the network setup properly?

4. nikana

nikana Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Well it finally downloaded, all i did was leave the notifcation up saying it was downloading instead of hide...

butttttt

now when it unzipped it deicded to fail...

the tablet is plugged in

also the network is set up right. i have my latop, ps3, xbox, wii, and tv hooked up wirelessly

5. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    I never have been able to get any updates. So I just rooted my Tablet and installed a ROM with the update buile from XDA site. Im on my third rom. And Im loving this one. Its taken from the toshiba Thrive.

6. nikana

nikana Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    im not the best with technology. any way to get around rooting it?

7. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    You could try some more. I iwl see is anyone has any ideas and let you know what I find out...

8. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    I had this problem and got round it by doing a full factory reset twice.
    then everything was OK.

9. sharktank

sharktank Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Having the same problem here - identical in every way.
    One thing though. I was expecting a point upgrade in Honeycomb but the update number of the download is 4.0xxxx.
    Also if you look at the point upgrade of honeycomb as a raw file anywhere on the web, it is only 36mb.
    Is this 4.0x update kosher?
    S

10. jprinzen

jprinzen Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Update fails for me as well. Only once did it complete, only to fail on the install. Haven't tried the factory reset yet. Waiting to hear of some possible other answers.

11. RichardGH1945

RichardGH1945 Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Retired
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    This update has failed to install for me as well, on several attempts. It returns the message 'Invalid update install cancelled. My A500 is not rooted but has been updated successfully when first started up. I have not tried a factory reset yet.

12. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    UK
    Factory reset is the only way as far as i know.

13. RichardGH1945

RichardGH1945 Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Retired
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Tried again last evening without resetting. This time build 4.010.41 was downloaded and installed sucessfully as Android 3.1. It seems likely that build 4.010.38 was not a viable update. It is a shame that Acer do not offer explanations about their updates and differences between them.

14. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Dubai, UAE
    I purchased my A500 10 days ago and it has Android Version 3.0.1 running. Each time I turn it on I get a advice notice saying that Sysytem Update 4.010.41 (357.69MB) is ready for my device. It says I must have a network connection. But as I have it connected to my WiFi, and my internet and other stuff work ok, I guess that confirms I am connected.
    I have downloaded the Update at least 15 times, but when I install it, it returns the message 'Invalid update install cancelled', then goes to the Home screen.
    I have tried to mentally skip the reminder, but as it comes up each time I turn the A500 on it is hard to avoid. And being a complusive updater its next to impossible.
    Is the update going to give me something I don't have now that will make a difference? and if so, do I continue to torture myself downloading the update and hoping that one day it will click into place, or do I throw the towel in and say I have a lemon.
    Any advice appreciated.

15. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Dubai, UAE
    Dear Acer - All is forgiven.

I tried again (perservance is my epithaph) and low and behold the update was successfully installed.

The secret: Hold the Tablet in "Portrait orientation" during the installation process. Sounds wacky, but it works.

16. Lord of Gummie

None

Jul 21, 2011
    Web Designer
    Canada
    Knowing how glitchy Android can be at times with things like screen orientation and screen lock this does not suprise me one bit. I had the same problem with the update, out of frustration I extracted the update.zip from the Asus download file put it on the SD card and ran the system restore function by holding down both power and the first volume button (closest to power) after I shut the tablet down.

17. ShogunKC

ShogunKC Lurker
    None

Dec 26, 2011

Same situation before and after factory resets and holding in portrait orientation during the update install process as another user said is the "secret" to install update doesn't work either. Over 20 attempts now, can anyone give me direction on manual updating via the restore from sdcard which I've read another user have success with please????:thinking:

18. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    This has been an ongoing problem with every update since day one. I never had success at updates. I just gave up and rooted my tablet. I don't have to worrie about it anymore. As soon as it comes out I just get it from the web site XDA and flash it from my sd card. But I realize that isn't for everyone. There are a lot more posts on this site have you tried a search of the forum to find more info on this problem.
    Should be lots of threads on this.

ShogunKC likes this.
  19. ShogunKC

ShogunKC Lurker
    None

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks for your prompt reply spatiod!! I've decided to download from xda and flash also. Choose 3.1 cause I haven't read much yet to confirm if 3.2 is rootable yet. Seems Acer has a major unresovled issues with OTA updates. I own a 3 Asus Transformers and never had OTA issues with them or my HTC and Motorola droids or any of my customers from a variety of droid manufactures. You'd think Acer would be concerned with data integrity of their OS updates not being OTA friendly since most of us end up flashing from a third party site download which could have malware injected into image altho unlikely, not to mention 9/10 users of android's would return their device to retailer or call a tech long before attempting a flash from sdcard procedure on their own, especially with the myth fear of bricking devices improperly flashed etc.

20. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    That is true but it seems like Acer doesn't really care. I'm not fond of their support. I think they make a decent product but they suck at support. You would think they would get it right by now. I've even heard a lot of devices get bricked and boot looped cause of their updates. That is unacceptable. One other thing I like about rooting is I love being able to back up all my system and apps and reinstalling them something I think should be one all these devices including android phones. When I got my Acer I couldn't figure out how to even access any files or anything. No type of file manager whatsoever.They still have a long way to go to make this system right. And by rooting we can finely make this a usable tool.Plus its kind of fun changing it up once in awhile.

ShogunKC likes this.
  21. opaljessie8654

None

Jan 1, 2012
    I have a Acer iconia a501, I have not updated since I have bought it. It has 3.0.1 and is constantly asking me to install 4.031.26 and when it finishes downloading it fails to install. Need some help, do not want to root or factory reset :)