• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Aaack, I just realised no headphones!

GalaxyS2Kent

Sep 2, 2011
England
I obviously don't listen with headphones very often. I bought my Galaxy S22 about the first of November, but today I wanted to listen with my usual headphones, but I couldn't find a headphone jack anywhere on the phone. After doing a bit of online looking, I discovered that I have to buy some wireless bluetooth headphones! That makes my current headphones useless! I've now ordered some wireless ones from the big store online but will they work or not? Is there any way to make a regular headphone work on this phone?

Thanks for advice.

Wireless Bluetooth headphones should work. On newer Google Pixel phones USB-C headphones work, no idea if they will work on you Galaxy S22

Thanks. I've now ordered both an adapter (I still love my old headphone set) and a set of bluetooth headphones (can be used as hands-free for driving). Life is not simple!

Upvote 0
I rarely use headphones with my Z Fold 4 but when I do, it's either my Sony WF-1000s or my WH-1000 headphones. They're Bluetooth and have incredible audio response. I have an adapter for the USB-C port but only use it for recording with my condenser microphone. My wired headphones stay in the office/studio. @GalaxyS2Kent I suppose it's a foregone conclusion that your vehicle doesn't have Bluetooth...?

Upvote 0
I rarely use headphones with my Z Fold 4 but when I do, it's either my Sony WF-1000s or my WH-1000 headphones. They're Bluetooth and have incredible audio response. I have an adapter for the USB-C port but only use it for recording with my condenser microphone. My wired headphones stay in the office/studio. @GalaxyS2Kent I suppose it's a foregone conclusion that your vehicle doesn't have Bluetooth...?

Actually we have a KIA with built-in handsfree. It used to work with my phone but just quit connecting. It still works with my husband's phone, strangely enough. I've tried everything to get it to work with my phone but failed. I bought a handsfree thing that you plug into the thing that used to be called a cigarette lighter, but then have to dangle the wired microphone from the rear-view mirror but it's too distracting.

Upvote 0

Actually we have a KIA with handsfree built-in. It works with my husband's phone (A Samsung J-something) but has stopped working with mine. I've tried everything to connect but no joy!

Upvote 0
Actually we have a KIA with handsfree built-in. It works with my husband's phone (A Samsung J-something) but has stopped working with mine. I've tried everything to connect but no joy!
When you've tried to get your KIA headphones to connect to your phone, is your husband's phone in the same vicinity? If so, when a Bluetooth device is actively connected to another phone, that locks the Bluetooth device from connecting to a different phone. So even if you successfully pair your phone to those headphones, you can't connect to them unless they're not still connected to his phone. Try connecting when his phone is elsewhere or reset the KIA headphones so they're freed up.

Upvote 0
When you've tried to get your KIA headphones to connect to your phone, is your husband's phone in the same vicinity? If so, when a Bluetooth device is actively connected to another phone, that locks the Bluetooth device from connecting to a different phone. So even if you successfully pair your phone to those headphones, you can't connect to them unless they're not still connected to his phone. Try connecting when his phone is elsewhere or reset the KIA headphones so they're freed up.

Yes, we've tried that but no success. My phone never finds the KIA.

Upvote 0
Yes, we've tried that but no success. My phone never finds the KIA.

OK that is odd. I'll assume you've already done this but restart both your S22 and Kia headphones, just to be sure you're working on a 'clean slate'. (If those Kia headphones don't have an actual power switch to toggle on/off, do a reset.) On your S22 Ultra, delete any previous Bluetooth pairings to those Kia headphones, then toggle Bluetooth Off, wait a few seconds, then On again. When you try to pair up the two devices, are the Kia headphones still not showing at all?

This is a long shot but try enabling this Bluetooth Gabledorche option. Is your phone running Android 12 or 13?
It's partially functionally in 12 but should be the default in 13. It's buried in the Developer Options menu so there's a two-pronged process to control it. First you need to make the Developer Options menu visible, then you need to scroll though it to get to the Bluetooth options section. (... also there's a chance that Samsung opted to just remove the Gabledorche enable/disable option so it's not showing on your model.) Anyway, the Developer Options menu is an integral part of Android itself, it's just not shown by default so it's up to the user if they need to show it or leave it hidden. Or in other words, it's always there no matter if its menu is or isn't visible. Just be careful not to mess with any of these particular menu options unless you know specifically what's involved, but don't be intimidated by its title or anything like that.
Enable Developer Options
https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options
Bluetooth Gabledorche explanation
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-13-gabeldorsche-bluetooth-stack/

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
OK that is odd. I'll assume you've already done this but restart both your S22 and Kia headphones, just to be sure you're working on a 'clean slate'. (If those Kia headphones don't have an actual power switch to toggle on/off, do a reset.) On your S22 Ultra, delete any previous Bluetooth pairings to those Kia headphones, then toggle Bluetooth Off, wait a few seconds, then On again. When you try to pair up the two devices, are the Kia headphones still not showing at all?

This is a long shot but try enabling this Bluetooth Gabledorche option. Is your phone running Android 12 or 13?
It's partially functionally in 12 but should be the default in 13. It's buried in the Developer Options menu so there's a two-pronged process to control it. First you need to make the Developer Options menu visible, then you need to scroll though it to get to the Bluetooth options section. (... also there's a chance that Samsung opted to just remove the Gabledorche enable/disable option so it's not showing on your model.) Anyway, the Developer Options menu is an integral part of Android itself, it's just not shown by default so it's up to the user if they need to show it or leave it hidden. Or in other words, it's always there no matter if its menu is or isn't visible. Just be careful not to mess with any of these particular menu options unless you know specifically what's involved, but don't be intimidated by its title or anything like that.
Enable Developer Options
https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options
Bluetooth Gabledorche explanation
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-13-gabeldorsche-bluetooth-stack/

Thanks for taking the time to answer in such detail. Unfortunately I don't have a "KIA headphone". They're just regular headphones with wires, and my original post was my complaint that my Samsung S22 did not have a phone jack. The second problem was my phone would not connect to the built-in handsfree on my Kia car. However, I guess I'm fairly okay now.

I bought some wireless bluetooth earbuds (£21.99 at Amazon). I haven't tried them with my Kia handsfree but they connect beautifully to my phone and there is no loss of sound, clarity, etc. The only (slight) downside is that they have to be charged quite often.

I also bought a little headphone adapter (only £5.99 at Amazon) that solves the problem of listening to the phone without the whole world listening. One end connects to the phone and the other to headphone set. They work well and don't affect the sound at all.

Thanks again for all the responses. This is a really helpful forum!

P.S. Forgot to answer about the version of Android. It's 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze and svim
Upvote 0
Ahh, that does clarify the actual problem you're having.

I bought some wireless bluetooth earbuds (£21.99 at Amazon). I haven't tried them with my Kia handsfree but they connect beautifully to my phone and there is no loss of sound, clarity, etc. The only (slight) downside is that they have to be charged quite often.
Shop around for some earbuds with better batteries, I've got a pair from Anker that are relatively featureless (i.e. no active noise cancelling) and also relatively cheap (under $40) but rated to last nine hours on an initial charge. I've been able to get over 10 hours regularly. I have a cousin who recently picked up a much higher grade of earbuds (Apple AirPods Pro) for around $200 and rated for six hours on an initial charge. Granted the AirPods have an impressive list of additional features (ANC, volume control by sliding a finger along the stems, etc.) and in a side-to-side comparison do noticeably better. So you do need to take into account just what your expectations are. There's a huge number of viable choices, just don't limit yourself buy focusing on lowest cost. (.... and how you might feel if you lose one when away from home).

Upvote 0
Ahh, that does clarify the actual problem you're having.
Shop around for some earbuds with better batteries, I've got a pair from Anker that are relatively featureless (i.e. no active noise cancelling) and also relatively cheap (under $40) but rated to last nine hours on an initial charge. I've been able to get over 10 hours regularly. I have a cousin who recently picked up a much higher grade of earbuds (Apple AirPods Pro) for around $200 and rated for six hours on an initial charge. Granted the AirPods have an impressive list of additional features (ANC, volume control by sliding a finger along the stems, etc.) and in a side-to-side comparison do noticeably better. So you do need to take into account just what your expectations are. There's a huge number of viable choices, just don't limit yourself buy focusing on lowest cost. (.... and how you might feel if you lose one when away from home).

Thanks for your advice. I hope these last awhile as they're really good sound-wise and supposed to give 8 hours playtime per charge. If I ever do have to replace them, I'll spend for some better ones. I don't think I'd ever go for the AirPods Pro, though, in case I lose one. With me that's a real possibility! I guess I'm not that particular nor am I a heavy user. Thanks again.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones