• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bethyboo

Lurker
Mar 29, 2012
Can anyone help me? My Galaxy Note was in my bag, unbeknown to me something kept knocking it - the phone thought I was attempting to unlock using the pattern feature I set up.

My phone is now totally locked up, and needs my google account details to unlock. I have no idea what this is :(. It asked me to open a gmail account when initially set up, I didn't even want a gmail account but I had to open one to proceed. Thought 'i'm not going to use it' so I didn't record the info.

Am very frustrated!! Have gone round and round in circles online to try to find Google or gmail info, all the network provider have said is that it will have to be sent away and have everything reinstalled - this seems a bit harsh.

Please help me!

You don't need to send it in, you can fix the problem by doing a hard reset. A hard reset will remove all of the apps and data and reset it to factory settings.

But before we get that far, did you set up a backup email on the Gmail account you setup? So you can reset the password? If you can figure out the login info or reset the password you can get in again.

If you have absolutely no way to recover the login info you can do a hard reset by following these steps.

1. Power off the device (You can do a battery pull.)
2. Hold volume up + home button + power (Should boot into a recovery menu)
3. In the recovery menu use the volume buttons to navigate up or down to "wipe data/factory reset" and then press power to confirm

The device should then reset itself to factory settings so you can use it again.

Upvote 0
So anyone who steals a Galaxy Note just has to follow these steps to bypass the security to get a working phone?

Great. :thinking:

At least if someone stole your phone and did a factory reset, they wouldn't get all of your data too. There has to be some kind of loophole or quite a few people would end up with a nice new paper weight.

It's the same with any Android device, most phone OS's have some kind of loophole for the forgetful people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones