1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root AAck, please help...rooting without computer...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sushifor5, Sep 11, 2011.

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    Mom, healer, writer, student midwife
    Northern Idaho
    I'm following mkbkr1's Guide to Rooting w/o Computer, and all went really well, yay, until I started typing the code into Terminal Emulator.

First, when I typed "su," a screen popped up from SuperUser with the little pirate guy and asked if I wanted to allow superuser privileges to Terminal Emulator. I didn't expect this...I just expected to type the whole string....but, I clicked yes, and it went back to TE and I kept typing.

So, I got thru:

su(return)
    mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_yaffs2_/system_/system(return)
    cat_/sdcard/flash_image_>_/system/bin/flash_image(return)

And then, when I hit return, I got this next line:

/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

What do I do? What have I done wrong? PLease Help!! Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. sadielynn

sadielynn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan

OK,first of ail, you haven't hurt anything,so,ya know,deep breath, lol.

First of all,anything that wants to use root permissions will bring up a superuser prompt,because you have to* give* it those permissions before it can act. This will happen the first time u use any app that requires root.

As for the terminal emulator, my best guess is:

Make sure that the flash_image file is not in a folder on your sdcard. It's referred to as the "root" of the sdcard( no relation to the rooting process whatsoever). if you followed my screenshot instructions, it should be right but double check.

Or

Recheck the text you entered in terminal emulator, and make*sure* you put the spaces in the right places. This can be extremely tricky.

When I did all this,I was never told to use that second line of text after the return,so I can't tell you too much.maybe check my old thread that you read thru before,when JerryScript walked me thru all this. Look at the text he had me use toward the end when it actually worked right.

And remember, if your not comfortable, or too flustrated right now,no harm in taking a day or so to regroup. Lord knows I did,a few times! :)

Edit: I think the reason I didn't have to use that second line of text is because i had manually moved the flash_image into the system bin with my file explorer,so I didn't have to use terminal emulator to push it there. That's just a guess tho, I don't really know if that's what the line is doing.

JerryScript likes this.
  3. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    ah, sadielynn, you can't know how happy i am to see you!!!

ok, i posted at the end of the thread on the OP "Guide to Root without Computer"...

here's what happened. i went back in to androzip and saw that i never extracted the files to the root of sd card...they were still in download folder. so, i put them on root.

then i went back to terminal emulator and typed in the lines of code...all went fine, BUT, it rebooted my phone and did NOT go to the "recovery" boot up,,,whatever it's called. it just went to my regular home page.

ugh, what now? did the root go wrong b/c the files were in the download folder and not the root of my sd card?

i'm afraid to turn off my phone and turn it into a brick. how do i "boot into the recovery menu" like i was supposed to at the end of the Guide's instructions?

thanks so much for helping me!

4. sadielynn

None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan
    Hmmm....you typed "reboot recovery" and it didn't boot into*any* recovery at all? It just booted up as normal? And you got the # after you typed SU at the being,right? If so,your still rooted

5. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    I remember seeing a # sign in Terminal Emulator.

After I clicked that last return (after typing all the code), the phone rebooted. it went to my regular screen lock and when i did the unlock, it opened to my home page...nothing else...no reboot recovery.

am i in trouble here? what do i do now?

eDIT....
    I went in to my apps drawer and saw Busybox installer...i had done nothing with it previously, just went to market and installed busybox...i didn't open it or anything. so maybe that's it?

so i just clicked on Busybox Installer icon and it's telling me busybox is not installed and what version do i want to install?

what should i pick? could that be why i didn't get reboot right?

6. sadielynn

None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan
    I'm no busy box expert,but it just might be. As for which version to install,I have absolutely no idea,unfortunately.
    I think maybe wait a bit and see if anyone else replies,as I'm not comfortable telling you to do anything else until this is sorted out,just incase.

7. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    LOL, i totally understand...i'm not comfortable touching my phone at this point, ugh! :) thanks, though! i hope someone tells me what to do! i'm tempted to just install the latest version of the busybox...i had read in another post on another forum that busybox needs to be installed in the same place as su (which is in my system/bin), but i don't know how to put anything anywhere...i'm hopeless!

8. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Hey, hey, hey...sadielynn, it's working! i just went forward, installed busybox, went back in to TE, typed up the code again, and it opened into recovery reboot! and it's currently backing up!!!

ok, yay!!! am i good?

ok, it says backup complete at bottom of screen and there's blue list at top. what do i do now?

ok, duh...i went back to Guide and just did "reboot" as he said. and it worked!

phew...i'm wiping away sweat!! LOL

9. sadielynn

None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan
    Well,the commands in term.em. are supposed to move them,I think,but I used es file explorer( a file manager like androzip) to move mine. Not sure if you can do it with any other file explorer tho,since es let's you give it root permissions to move stuff to system folders. But yeah,I would say hold off for now. I'm gonna give a shout to AndyOpie and ask him to check this thread,see if he can help out,as he is far more knowledgeable than I am with this stuff(despite his claims of "nuubness" ;) )

10. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    ok, i think i just missed you...check out the post right above; VICTORY dance!! yay!! thanks SO MUCH!!

ok, what now?! :) rest! that was a lot for my nontechnical brain!!! :)

and, now i am compelled to ask...since you typed it, what is "term.em?" what is "es file explorer?" if i have androzip am i good?

11. sadielynn

None

May 3, 2011
    Female
    Michigan
    Woo! Yup,just missed ya,lol! Glad it's working!

12. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Great job. Sorry I missed you, but i'm glad you got done. Your next step is to download and install Harmonia. Go to that thread and download the Harmonia 1.3 zip file move it to the root of the sd card, just like you did for the rooting files. Leave it zipped, do not open or unzip it.

If you have not backed up your apps, you need to now. I use Titanium Backup Pro, you can use the free version or My Backup Root. Make sure you back up your apps because they will be erased during the install of your new rom. Only backup the apps you downloaded, no system apps or settings.

Boot into your recovery, wipe data, cache.
    Under advanced, wipe dalvik cache.
    Under mounts and storage, format boot, system, cache, and data.
    Select "install zip from sd card"
    Select "choose zip from card"
    Scroll down and select the Harmonia rom zip.
    After it finishes, select reboot system.
    It will take a little bit longer to boot , but shouldn't be longer than 5-10 minutes.

You will need sign back in to google, just like you did when you first activated your phone. It will then sync and install your contacts list and gmail account.

Go to the market and install the back up program you used for your apps, run it and reinstall your apps.
    Enjoy your new phone. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

13. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Eeeek...LOL after that hair-raising experience, I don't think I have it in me to do a ROM. Seriously, I'm going to post my thanks and a couple question back over on your original Guide thread....

Maybe catch you there tomorrow? Thanks SO much!

14. yogi-4

yogi-4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Truck Driver
    Steeler Country
    Believe me Sushifor5, flashing a ROM is real easy. When your done doing it, you'll say to yourself, "Well coat me with honey and put me in a bears den, that was really simple!!". When you read the instructions it may seem ominous, but to actually do it, it's really simple. You just got to get over that first hump. YOU CAN DO IT!!! ;)

15. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    LOL...thanks for the encouragement! I will remember you said that and when I'm brave enough to try this and it freaks me out, I'll PM you! hahaha Just kidding...I do appreciate your help and everyone here who has been great putting up with me!!! :)

16. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Hey Yogi,

I just read thru the articles/tutorials you have in your signature. And now I have a question...

In the "Other Great ROMs" tutorial, it says that xionia is not always a reliable backup...and i think i read elsewhere that if you use xionia you cannot put on certain ROMs?

When I rooted according to the "no computer Guide" with gingerbreak, the recovery included in the protocol was xionia, i'm pretty sure, so that would be what I have and used.

Do i need to do a different recovery? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

17. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Xionia will work fine for 90% of the ROMs out there. There have been some reports of it not doing complete wipes, but no one has posted any evidence to back this up, only anecdotal experiences.

That being said, a recovery is easier to flash the second time than the first time. In fact, it takes about 30 seconds. All you have to do now that you have everything setup is:

1) download a recovery img file and place it on your sdcard.
    2) open terminal and type in:
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME_OF_RECOVERY.img

You can then either type in reboot recovery, or go about business as usual till you're ready to flash a ROM, nothing will be changed with your phone's normal operation.

Once you are ready to flash a custom ROM, it takes about 30 minutes to do properly. Download the ROM's zip file and a copy of gapps zip file to your sdcard, then:

1) Download TitaniumBackup or MyBackup and backup your apps, NO SYSTEM APPS!!!
    2) Reboot into recovery (use terminal, or power off, then power with 3finger salute)
    3) Once in recovery, make a backup (NEVER SKIP THIS STEP!)
    4) Here is where it can be different, if you are installing a new ROM use A, if updating a rom use B
    A) Under mounts, format the following: boot, cache, data, system
    B) Wipe cache, then under advanced, wipe dalvik cache
    5) Choose install zip from sdcard, DO NOT CHOOSE UPDATE OPTIONS!
    6) Select the ROM's zip file and install it
    7) Select gapps and install it
    8) Reboot

Your first reboot takes longer, be patient, it is rebuilding files. ;)

18. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Thanks for the instructions! My nontechy brain doesn't know what some of the above is, so if you don't mind questions:

"You can then either type in reboot recovery"
    What exactly do I type and where?

" Reboot into recovery (use terminal, or power off, then power with 3finger salute)"
    Sorry, don't understand this and it's one of my questions now that I'm rooted...how do i get into the recovery on my phone? what is power with 3finger salute? how do i use terminal? is that Terminal Emulator?

"Under mounts, format the following: boot, cache, data, system"
    Sorry, don't know how to format anything.....

"Select gapps and install it"
    What is gapps?

EDIT: you say recovery is easier to flash the second time...does that mean the recovery i ran last night when i rooted my phone is gone? i'm sorry, that sounds dumb...just don't understand the why/how of flashing a second recovery after the first i put on.....

OK, sorry, but I really am lost in this world! Thanks, though, for your time...I truly appreciate it!!!

19. Diablo2k

Diablo2k Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Three finger Salute, lol.
    Hold Volume up + Home Key + power untill it boots into recovery screen.
    Theres nothing to type, just option you select in recovery. Once your there you will see. use volume Rocker to move up and down, home key to select, return key to go back, in recovery.

I am a noob to all this, I made the huge mistake of not making a back up, and now I am stuck w/ the custom Rom, so DON'T forget to do the back up.

Other than that Installing the custom Rom is the easiest part of doing all this.

GApps stands for Google Apps, they are not included in the Modded Rom due to copyright so you must install them seperatly.

20. JerryScript

None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Three finger salute is turning phone off, the back on by holding down volume_down+menu_key+power_key till the LG logo dissappears.

Anytime you have to type in commands, it is either through terminal (emulator) or via ADB, which I don't think you're using.

The Recovery is a mini operating system, that allows your phone to be used at a very low level. Once installed, it is there until you install some other one. It has the menu options to do all the things I mentioned.

Once you reboot into recovery, you will see the options for advanced and mounts. Read the various tutorials till you feel somewhat comfy, then post more questions till you feel comfortable doing this.

21. sushifor5

None

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    OK, thanks for the info! I will continue to read and try to learn all the jargon, LOL.

Final questions for now...

Jerry, you said regarding recoveries,
    "it is there until you install some other one."

Does that mean that when I install a new recovery it overrides the current recovery?

Also, for booting into the recovery, Diablo said:
    "Hold Volume up + Home Key + power untill it boots into recovery screen."

And you said:
    "holding down volume_down+menu_key+power_key till the LG logo disappears."

Will both methods work? Are the differences b/c of different recoveries? Just wondering which one I should do or if it matters....

Thanks much!!!

22. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    No. Volume down is what you need to use. In very rare instances a "v" might be backwards. The only difference between xionia recovery and the ClockWorkMod recovery's is the selection button(the selection button on the CWMod recovery's is the camera button).

sushifor5 and JerryScript like this.
  23. JerryScript

None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Yes, when you flash a new recovery, it overwrites the old one.

With most recoveries, you can use either volume_down or volume_up with the 3finger salute.

Once in recovery, you use the volume up/down to navigate the menus, and the back button to go back to a previous menu. Depending upon the recovery, either the menu_key home_key, or the camera_key will make a selection (like clicking on it).

sushifor5 likes this.
Tags: