• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Able to tell which number is being called to Google Voice?

JaSauders

Aug 2, 2011
I may be using my GV number for some side work. Thing is, I'd like to be able to see on my phone when it's ringing that the user had called my GV number so I'm able to answer it in a particular fashion.

Is there a way to set it up with a "Google Voice" notation or icon on the screen when the phone is ringing so I know Bob is calling my GV number so I can answer it more appropriately for that scenario?

You have 2 choices when using GV, neither is exactly what you want.
1) set GV up to show as your GV number for incoming calls.
2) set GV up to show the actual number of the incoming call.
If you set it up to show your GV number then you at least know it is a call for your 'side work', but you don't know it's Bob. If you set it up to show regular caller ID then you know it's Bob but don't know he's using your GV number.
This is one of only a few things that bugs me about GV. I have mine set up to show GV so I get free incoming calls but that means I am never sure who is calling 'til I answer (old school land-line phone usage style!). I deal with it 'cause free is free. My sister has hers set up the same way, she uses her GV for work and her kid's Dr's etc...that way she knows she has to answer but doesn't know which it is. One nice thing though is that you can have a separate ringtone for your GV.
Unless I am way behind the GV times, there is no way to do both...can't have it show you GV number and the person's name/real caller ID. It's one or the other.

Upvote 0
I was almost hoping there was a way within Google Voice itself on the phone to have a secondary contact list. I mean, it would be super handy to have contacts in a GV phonebook and then personal contacts in my regular number's phonebook. Then if I dial out from the GV phonebook, it uses GV by default, etc.

Oh well... I'll just try this and see how it works out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones