• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Able to tether on a 4g phone?

I'd like to point-out that you can, I believe, safely tether via bluetooth--without any of the controversy surrounding the use of the wireless tethering apps or USB tethering apps.

My current day-to-day device, the Droid X, can tether my Moto Xoom via bluetooth and it works very well (and I believe other devices that have bluetooth support would tether just as well).

I have yet to see any post that questions the legality or morality of using such a method--especially since this ability is baked right into the DX (i.e., it does not require rooting).

I'd be very interested to know, when one of you fine folks actually does purchase a Bionic (I'm going to be waiting a bit to "let the dust settle") to see if this capability is still present.

Cheer!

Upvote 0
If you do get caught tethering, will verizon cancel your service and force you out of their unlimited data plan??

Is there any history of anyone getting trouble with this?

I'd like to point-out that you can, I believe, safely tether via bluetooth--without any of the controversy surrounding the use of the wireless tethering apps or USB tethering apps.

My current day-to-day device, the Droid X, can tether my Moto Xoom via bluetooth and it works very well (and I believe other devices that have bluetooth support would tether just as well).

I have yet to see any post that questions the legality or morality of using such a method--especially since this ability is baked right into the DX (i.e., it does not require rooting).

I'd be very interested to know, when one of you fine folks actually does purchase a Bionic (I'm going to be waiting a bit to "let the dust settle") to see if this capability is still present.

Cheer!

That sounds very very interesting. Thx for the info. Can anyone also verify that Bluetooth tether is allowed??

And does it have any disadvantages?? compared to regular tethering?

Upvote 0
I don't tether as it is right now. For one, I have a piece of crap laptop. Secondly, I barely get 3G right now, so what's the point? I'm in an area that used to have excellent 3G, but now we're all getting the dreaded 1X. From what I've heard is that they're updating the old Alltel towers to their current 3G in preparation for 4G. I dunno, but 4G can't get here soon enough.

Upvote 0
If you do get caught tethering, will verizon cancel your service and force you out of their unlimited data plan??

Is there any history of anyone getting trouble with this?

From reading here at AF for a while, there's precious few, verifiable posts from folks who've been dinged by VZW for tethering.

You should all know, by the way, we've had quite a few threads in the not-too-distant past and mainly in the DX forums that have been been "quarantined" by the Mods for discussions about tethering where people were espousing its merits and discussing how it can be done. I think the gist is that AF does not want to be a vehicle for for folks to discuss doing things that may be counter to what the carriers espouse and/or "discourage" (i.e., wireless tethering).

I don't want to re-hash a lot of what has been previously discussed so that this thread does not turn into one that also gets moved and/or locked.

That sounds very very interesting. Thx for the info. Can anyone also verify that Bluetooth tether is allowed??

And does it have any disadvantages?? compared to regular tethering?

Threads and posts re. bluetooth tethering have never (to my knowledge) been quarantined like the above / aforementioned ones have been.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Good grief,people. I tether quite a bit on my Droid and it works fine and never been 'spanked'. It's one of the key reasons I bought this phone and it sells phones,period! I pay quite enough for unlimited and very limited texting. To pay another X amount of dollars just to wirelessly connect my laptop to my phone is ridiculous and I'm sure Verizon doesn't want to push the issue in fear of losing customers over it. They like you paying your monthly bill to them. Now if you're someone who is using absurd amounts of data, say 10gigs a month or better doing it, then yea you might get a notice/throttled/spanked whatever. I don't. If I need a large DL I connect to my home network. Use it in moderation, you'll be ok....

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Good grief,people. I tether quite a bit on my Droid and it works fine and never been 'spanked'. It's one of the key reasons I bought this phone and it sells phones,period! I pay quite enough for unlimited and very limited texting. To pay another X amount of dollars just to wirelessly connect my laptop to my phone is ridiculous and I'm sure Verizon doesn't want to push the issue in fear of losing customers over it. They like you paying your monthly bill to them. Now if you're someone who is using absurd amounts of data, say 10gigs a month or better doing it, then yea you might get a notice/throttled/spanked whatever. I don't. If I need a large DL I connect to my home network. Use it in moderation, you'll be ok....

+1 Sportster...great word: moderation :).

Its usually the word "unlimited" that gets folks worked-up and starts the debate... I tell my kids, who've both been driving for a few years now, that while driving, especially on the interstate, be as safe as possible, and don't be "the rabbit" that will catch unwanted attention, if you know what I mean ;).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I see, so no one really tethers anymore? I don't want to tether for downloading purposes. I recently moved for college and this place I'm living at just has a really crappy connection and I'm not even able to play games on it... so the main reason I would tether is to play games (ie. Left 4 Dead 2, TF2, etc.)

What do you think the game is doing with the tethered connection? If the game requires an internet connection, it is downloading (and most likely uploading) information. Data is data, it doesn't matter what you are doing.

Upvote 0
What do you think the game is doing with the tethered connection? If the game requires an internet connection, it is downloading (and most likely uploading) information. Data is data, it doesn't matter what you are doing.

He means that on his computer, the existing infrastructure where he is at has a crappy connection, so he would like to use tethering as an alternate connection to play online computer games.

Reactions: whitenoiz
Upvote 0
He means that on his computer, the existing infrastructure where he is at has a crappy connection, so he would like to use tethering as an alternate connection to play online computer games.

Yes john, but what sic0048 was commenting on was the statement that whitenoiz made where he said he wasn't tethering for downloading purposes. sic0048 was saying that when playing a internet game, you are downloading (and uploading) data. Downloading a movie or downloading game data.... same thing.... data is data.

Upvote 0

I'm on my rooted nook color tethered to my rooted OG Droid right now :)

Been doing it (tethering) for over a year-not a peep from Verizon. Its sooooo nice using my nook/laptop while riding in the car on long drives. That's the only time I ever do it so not too much data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones