1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Able to use Unlocked T Mobile Moto X on other networks?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bobby2478, Jan 14, 2014.

1. bobby2478

bobby2478 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    MN
    I'm seriously considering getting the T Mobile unlocked Moto X and was wondering if anyone can confirm what networks this will work on?

I'm currently on Sprint's network, but I'm not planning on staying forever and am tired of my GS4. I've read that the Tmobile Moto X can work on ATT, but I've heard conflicting reports about whether you can use it with Sprint and Straight Talk.

Can anyone confirm if the unlocked Tmobile Moto X can be used on Straight Talk, and if you can use it on Sprint?

Or vice versa, can the Sprint Moto X be unlocked and used on other networks such as Tmobile or Straight Talk?

Thanks for helping me to pick the right version of the X!

Advertisement

2. Evo 5oh

Evo 5oh Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    Im wondering this as well. I read in another forum the guy had Moto X on sprint and was able to use the same Moto X for T-mobile

3. bobby2478

bobby2478 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    MN
    From what I've read, the Sprint version is SIM locked in the USA, so when you get the SIM unlocked it only applies internationally. Meaning even if you "unlock" the SIM for the Sprint Moto X, it only unlocks for international GSM networks. It's still locked to prevent you from activating or using it on any GSM networks within the USA (ATT, Tmobile, etc). This aligns with traditionally what Sprint has done with CDMA and their devices.

If Tmobile version is truly unlocked though, it will work on ATT, and I believe it will work with Straight Talk (although this requires modification of the SIM card to nano size, which requires you to cut it, would like verification of this also). Unknown is whether you can also activate it and use it on Sprint CDMA network.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    check out the wikipedia page for the moto X, it's helpful in showing which bands are which.

The tmo version is the same as the GSM dev edition FYI

both the tmo and att version should work on each other's networks, but not 100% of the cell radio bands overlap, and some less overlap on sprint and VZW from the GSM versions.

I dont know about how sprint locks stuff. The TMO is unlocked as is the GSM dev edition. Im not sure if ATT is locked.

5. RockyC33

RockyC33 Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2013
    Male
    California
    I am not sure if the Sprint Moto X is locked, but I do know that only a Sprint phone will work on Sprint's network. The MEID has to be in Sprint's database and non Sprint phones won't be.