• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Abnormal reset - tell HTC? Message

aml1025

Android Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2013
Twin Cities, MN
3 or 4 times in the past few weeks, I have arrived home and discovered the !-in-a-circle in my notification bar, with a message that my phone has recovered from an abnormal reset, and would I like to notify HTC. I've tried reading through the log files it sends to see if anything jumps out at me, but there's not a lot that I can decipher. Also, there seems to be a significant battery drain.

What's really strange is that this problem only seems to occur in one physical location, somewhere in the last few miles of my drive home. I have noticed problems with data connection and frequent "outages" in my zip code, and wondered if those tower problems could be related.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem, or have any idea what could be going on?

3 or 4 times in the past few weeks, I have arrived home and discovered the !-in-a-circle in my notification bar, with a message that my phone has recovered from an abnormal reset, and would I like to notify HTC. I've tried reading through the log files it sends to see if anything jumps out at me, but there's not a lot that I can decipher. Also, there seems to be a significant battery drain.

What's really strange is that this problem only seems to occur in one physical location, somewhere in the last few miles of my drive home. I have noticed problems with data connection and frequent "outages" in my zip code, and wondered if those tower problems could be related.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem, or have any idea what could be going on?

That is weird can you attach the log files or link to them?

Upvote 0
It happened again - at my home, this time. I have the log file open, but it's HUGE, and the only send option I see is to HTC. I could screen shot each screen, but that would take forever. Is there another option I'm missing?

If you are rooted you can do a root search on the system partion, look for HTC log or something similar. Also on the crash or abnormal restart screen there whole be a error code usually containing a type of exception error ex. java.lang.exception (as an example)

Upvote 0
If you are rooted you can do a root search on the system partion, look for HTC log or something similar. Also on the crash or abnormal restart screen there whole be a error code usually containing a type of exception error ex. java.lang.exception (as an example)

My phone is not rooted. I got a main screen shot, and the top page of the log files, before everything sent to HTC:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbk6juo4wzudhjw/s1vBJFyhY9/Screenshots$Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-07-07.png

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbk6juo4wzudhjw/b0wnkQNZ-5/Screenshots$Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-04-08.png

(Hoping this works; I'm literally signing up for Dropbox to share these images as I'm typing )

Upvote 0
My phone is not rooted. I got a main screen shot, and the top page of the log files, before everything sent to HTC:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbk6juo4wzudhjw/s1vBJFyhY9/Screenshots$Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-07-07.png

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbk6juo4wzudhjw/b0wnkQNZ-5/Screenshots$Screenshot_2013-04-29-20-04-08.png

(Hoping this works; I'm literally signing up for Dropbox to share these images as I'm typing )

I did some digging the mipi.interrupt.status means that your device might be hacked. The msm error looks like a core linux error on what I can find. Also there is talk of the error appearing on older versions of linux and android. Did you update to the newest OTA at all? Also can you give me all of the preview screen info if it happens again? It should be about ~3 screenshots.

If you are wondering you can look here http://www.eetasia.com/STATIC/PDF/201103/EEOL_2011MAR30_RFD_INT_TA_01.pdf.

Upvote 0
I did some digging the mipi.interrupt.status means that your device might be hacked. The msm error looks like a core linux error on what I can find. Also there is talk of the error appearing on older versions of linux and android. Did you update to the newest OTA at all? Also can you give me all of the preview screen info if it happens again? It should be about ~3 screenshots.

If you are wondering you can look here http://www.eetasia.com/STATIC/PDF/201103/EEOL_2011MAR30_RFD_INT_TA_01.pdf.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Can't figure how my phone could be hacked, as I don't really do anything with it that would put it at risk... but I am checking it out as a possibility. Am I putting too much faith in Lookout to catch this kind of problem?

I did take the latest OTA update, last month I think, so everything should be as updated as possible on my phone.

Since it's happened multiple times, I've also contacted Virgin Mobile (through email) but have not heard back yet.

If/when it happens again, I'll try to get more information. I thought the preview screen was complete, but I'll double-check to make sure there isn't more to it.

And... I just got a reply email offering a replacement, with no more suggestion of troubleshooting. I wonder if this is becoming a fairly common problem??

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Can't figure how my phone could be hacked, as I don't really do anything with it that would put it at risk... but I am checking it out as a possibility. Am I putting too much faith in Lookout to catch this kind of problem?

I did take the latest OTA update, last month I think, so everything should be as updated as possible on my phone.

Since it's happened multiple times, I've also contacted Virgin Mobile (through email) but have not heard back yet.

If/when it happens again, I'll try to get more information. I thought the preview screen was complete, but I'll double-check to make sure there isn't more to it.

And... I just got a reply email offering a replacement, with no more suggestion of troubleshooting. I wonder if this is becoming a fairly common problem??

I've heard that it was mostly an HBOOT update(firmware) if that has failed it would cause a lot of problems.
Also lookout is not as good as you think. One time when I put a test virus apk (app) it didn't even detect it.

Reactions: aml1025
Upvote 0
I've heard that it was mostly an HBOOT update(firmware) if that has failed it would cause a lot of problems.
Also lookout is not as good as you think. One time when I put a test virus apk (app) it didn't even detect it.

Nothing's perfect, but your test results with Lookout are pretty disappointing.

I'm taking the offer of a replacement phone - hopefully that will take care of things for me.

Upvote 0
Are you still having the same problem?

Thanks for checking back to ask! :)

Every time I try to reply this thread in my computer, something seems to malfunction and I lose the post. Really aggravating and I gave up for a while.

When I called Virgin Mobile, they "fixed" the problem by sending me a replacement - a brand-new Galaxy Victory. So no, I'm not having the problem any more, but neither do I know what was causing it.

I still think it could be at least partially related to location/tower problems. We have a Rise and an Elite at my place that are both restarting (although not with the kind of message I was getting on my Evo), and there have been multiple outages for my zip code in the last few weeks.

I appreciate your help and suggestions in trying to figure out what was going wrong. I hate the feeling of leaving a problem unsolved... but have to admit that getting a brand-new phone was kind of nice! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking back to ask! :)

Every time I try to reply this thread in my computer, something seems to malfunction and I lose the post. Really aggravating and I gave up for a while.

When I called Virgin Mobile, they "fixed" the problem by sending me a replacement - a brand-new Galaxy Victory. So no, I'm not having the problem any more, but neither do I know what was causing it.

I still think it could be at least partially related to location/tower problems. We have a Rise and an Elite at my place that are both restarting (although not with the kind of message I was getting on my Evo), and there have been multiple outages for my zip code in the last few weeks.

I appreciate your help and suggestions in trying to figure out what was going wrong. I hate the feeling of leaving a problem unsolved... but have to admit that getting a brand-new phone was kind of nice! :)

Thats good that it is finally resolved! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones