• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About battery and Apps still running even I close the app

Hi all, I have a X-Treme Tablet 7" Android ICS, when I run app or a game then I close it, why it is still running in the background, that makes a battery drains faster, how can I stop the apps or games from running in the background, also the word "force stop", what does that mean, please explain all details to me, thank you all.

Happy Holiday

Merry Christmas

This is how the android system works. It basically takes up RAM because it makes the OS run more efficiently. It doesn't, per say, take up more battery, unless you have a rogue app/game that continues to run as if you are still playing it.

A game or app may still be running in the background after you closed it, but it is simply taking up the processes in case you launch it again, cutting down on the time it takes to get back into that game/app.

It's best to steer clear of Task Killers because they usually do more harm than good for the OS, because as soon as you kill that app, it takes battery to end it, then the Android OS sees there is free RAM that needs to be taken up so it will, once again, start that app you just killed, using more battery life in the process, when all along it was more efficient to just keep it running in the background.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
Follow these steps to stop running apps in the background

-> Open Settings and choose apps
-> You will see 3 tabs on the top called "On SD Card", "Running" and "All".
-> Select "All" tabs.
-> Choose the app you wish.
-> Now you will get 2 boxes "Force Stop" and "Disable".
-> Select disable and tap on the ok button.

Upvote 0
Follow these steps to stop running apps in the background

-> Open Settings and choose apps
-> You will see 3 tabs on the top called "On SD Card", "Running" and "All".
-> Select "All" tabs.
-> Choose the app you wish.
-> Now you will get 2 boxes "Force Stop" and "Disable".
-> Select disable and tap on the ok button.

Thank you for your replied, I will try that. If I want to run that app again, I tap on that app, it will run again, is it right, please let me know, thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean to swipe away that app when I bring up the recent apps, can you tell me more specific, thanks you.

Do you know which button is the recent apps button?

Do you know how ICS works?

I didn't ask these questions to be rude, but to find out your knowledge about the OS.

Upvote 0
Recent apps is the soft key to the right of home. It looks like two windows on top of each other. When it is open apps currently used show in a vertical scrolling menu similar to the horizontal One in iOS. To close apps displayed there you touch one and slide it either left or right which will make it vanish from the list. It wont shut down any background service so swiping away gmail wont stop you from getting any email notification, for example. You can also touch and hold and a context menu with 'remove from list' will show which performs the same function

Upvote 0
Recent apps is the soft key to the right of home. It looks like two windows on top of each other. When it is open apps currently used show in a vertical scrolling menu similar to the horizontal One in iOS. To close apps displayed there you touch one and slide it either left or right which will make it vanish from the list. It wont shut down any background service so swiping away gmail wont stop you from getting any email notification, for example. You can also touch and hold and a context menu with 'remove from list' will show which performs the same function

Thank you for your help, I understand clearly now.

Upvote 0
Do you know which button is the recent apps button?

Do you know how ICS works?

I didn't ask these questions to be rude, but to find out your knowledge about the OS.

I'm new with Android ICS, I just know a little bit how to use it, download apps, games and go on internet, I have no idea how ICS work exactly, if you are an expert about how it works then explain every details to me, thank you.

Upvote 0
Actually its like iOS in thar department. Their recent apps aren't always running but them as well as ICS if swiped away the foreground app is closed but the background service remains running. This is all documented from Google about ICS. If the system stops an app when it displays in recent apps there is a blank thumbnail when there normally shows the current info displayed

Upvote 0
Personally I don't like the idea of turning over all control of apps to the operating system. When I am done I close the darn thing. So speak for yourselves. Besides leaving apps running slows my devices down to the point of freezing so yeah I admit I use tssk killers, be it windows 8, iOS or Android

But Android isn't Windows or iOS, Google specifically states not to use a task killer because Android is written completely differently than the other os's. Using the built in task manager is one thing, using a 3rd party task killer is completely different. Leaving recently used apps in memory speeds up the device because you're not constantly loading information from slow nand storage. Also a used data cell and an empty one both use the same amount of power, so killing apps in no way can possibly increase battery life.

Upvote 0
In my experiences leaving Android apps running eats up ram and when it drops below 10MB left the device freezes and either locks up or throws tons of ANRs. Sorry I prefer to have control over my system. I don't kill system apps just User apps when I'm done with them and now my device feels like an ipad like i prefer.

This is an observation. It seems like every post you have is a critique of the Android system or a comparison of Apple and Android devices, where the Android device is always an issue. Honestly, it comes across disingenuous, complaining and in some situations your posts have included incorrect information.

Why are you using Android and the associated devices if is not to your liking or inferior for your needs??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones