1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

About DropBox in new Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sdahe, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

Hello,

I just got a new S3 but I already had a Dropbox account... Can I still get the 50GB?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I think you may get better answers in the S3 forum as this is unique to them. Would you like me to move it over there?

3. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

Oh yes... sorry!!!

4. Unforgiven

All set, no apologies needed, its a large forum. You actually posted in a great place for support, I just thought you would get better answers in here as the 50GB free was an S3 exclusive.:)

5. lion2

lion2 Newbie

Yes you still can get the 50GB if you already had a dropbox account. When I got my S3 all I did was log into the dropbox app that was preinstalled. After about 10 minutes I got a notification on my PC's dropbox app saying that my account has been upgraded with an extra 50GB.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

It should just automatically upgrade when you sign in on your SGS3.

Some US carriers (Verizon and Sprint) did not give this away, but most carriers did. But its down to the carrier whether its provided or not.

7. lion2

lion2 Newbie

Sprint did give away the 50GB.

8. SUroot

Maybe its Verizon and AT&T then. I don't know they're all the same to me.

Anyway, my point it, you may or may not get the space depending on whether your carrier did a deal with Dropbox or not.

9. thaKing

thaKing Android Enthusiast

ATT and VZW did not participate in this program.

10. Go Blue

Go Blue Newbie

My DropBox account was upgraded to 50 GB when I activated my Sprint SG3

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

This is the email I got from Dropbox today

Thank you for contacting us. Your Samsung device is not eligible for the bonus. I'm very sorry for any confusion this has caused.

Only some Samsung devices come with Dropbox pre-loaded. You would know if you had one of these devices because Dropbox would have already been installed when you first turned it on. Your device may not be eligible due to your carrier. Several carriers have opted-out of the promotion and unfortunately AT&T and Verizon are among those that are not currently participating. As AT&T removed both the Dropbox software and the promotion from your phone, if you like you can call them at 1-800-331-0500.

Please visit our help center article for more information about our Samsung promotions:
    - https://www.dropbox.com/help/297

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

12. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Well that's a bit sneaky of the carriers then. My phone is the unbranded version and came pre-loaded with dropbox so I was eligible.

13. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

I installed kyanROM on my at&t gs3, and received the 50gb dropbox. Wasn't expecting it, and no longer on that ROM, but its definitely nice to have, being a long time user.

14. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

I ask myself why would they eliminate that from the phone.

15. Unforgiven

Probably some stooopid corporate reason. They probably have some crappy pay alternative that they want to force down your throat.

16. SUroot

Surely the drop box space is subsidised by the carrier, hence it being only 2 years.

17. Unforgiven

AFAIK it was a two year subscription as a promotion from Samsung.

SUroot likes this.
  18. SUroot

Oh I see. Well US carriers are the worst in the world for charging the earth for nothing so wouldn't surprise me that they want to limit bandwidth use or make people pay them for a service

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews