• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

??? about loading music on phone and about headphones

nopeda

Lurker
Mar 25, 2017
Hi,

I'm very new to putting music on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy Express 3. I just learned how to make Mp3s from CDs using Windows Media Player. In the Windows Music folder it made a folder with the artist's name and inside that made a folder with the name of the album and inside that is each song individually. I want to put it on the phone as one album but when it loaded on the phone it did it as individual songs. Is there a way to make it all as one album so they will all play like an album? I dragged and dropped the folder they were in hoping it would at least put them all in one folder, but no it didn't include the folder and it put them in in reverse order of how they are on the album itself.

Also I'm wondering about headphones. So far I'm using my LG bluetooth and it sounds pitiful with no base or even mid to speak of. I don't mind a cord if that's the best way to go. Can anyone suggest headphones that would make a good difference, and not too expensive? Also how much will it shorten the battery charge on the phone? Is it significant enough that it's better to get powered headphones or something?

Thank you for any help learning this stuff!
David

Hello there!
I started reading your first paragraph and although I cannot help you with that, I can offer a suggestion on headphones :)
I too had the LG Platinum headphones, and while at first they were awesome, the bass seemed to degrade to the point of they sucked.

I decided to go back to corded headphones, and used in conjunction with the app, PowerAmp, they have awesome bass and really no drain on the phone battery at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTEU4V9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, inexpensive and awesome. You won't be disappointed. I have 2 pairs I love them so much. :D

Someone else can offer some other options too I'm sure and also a suggestion for your Music folder issue. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm very new to putting music on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy Express 3. I just learned how to make Mp3s from CDs using Windows Media Player. In the Windows Music folder it made a folder with the artist's name and inside that made a folder with the name of the album and inside that is each song individually. I want to put it on the phone as one album but when it loaded on the phone it did it as individual songs. Is there a way to make it all as one album so they will all play like an album? I dragged and dropped the folder they were in hoping it would at least put them all in one folder, but no it didn't include the folder and it put them in in reverse order of how they are on the album itself.

Quite frankly it sounds like WMP(Windows Media Player) did a lousy job of ripping your CDs, and organising the music. Back in the day when I still had CDs I used dBpoweramp, and that always did a good job of it. And I presume it's still good now.
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/
But about WMP, just make sure you are ripping as MP3 and not WMA, which is the Windows Media default. As Android devices tend to choke on WMA and usually don't play them, not unless you install a third-party player that does, like Rocket, MX or VLC.

Also I'm wondering about headphones. So far I'm using my LG bluetooth and it sounds pitiful with no base or even mid to speak of. I don't mind a cord if that's the best way to go. Can anyone suggest headphones that would make a good difference, and not too expensive? Also how much will it shorten the battery charge on the phone? Is it significant enough that it's better to get powered headphones or something?

Thank you for any help learning this stuff!
David

Sounds like the LG Bluetooth headphones might be cack. I use Bose QC35 myself which can be wired or BT, usually when travelling, but those are not particularly cheap. Other headphones I've not looked at much recently.

Upvote 0
I assume you just copied the folders to your phone, which is fine. But while there are a few Android music apps that identify albums by folder, most rely on "tags", metadata within the file which identifies (amongst other things) which artist, which album, which track within the album. So what I'd do is look at a few of the files and check that the tags are correct. You can probably do that just by selecting a file in your music player and using the menu to inspect the tags, but it's probably simpler to use the computer. However, I've barely ever used Windows Media Player, so can't say how good it is at that (though if it doesn't let you view and edit the metadata/tags then it is a complete PoS - even iTunes on a PC lets you do that easily).

You could just use a music player that uses folders for its album organisation (I think Mort player was one, if that still exists), but it will restrict your choice of music apps significantly. So I'd start by checking the tags and, if they are not correct, fixing them (editing by hand if there are a small number of tracks, re-ripping with something that will do this properly if there are a lot).

Of course you could just try a different player, such as PowerAmp, and see whether it can work out the albums from the files you have - if it can that would be the quickest solution :).

As for headphones, I'm wary of making recommendations without knowing what you look for in the sound signature and what you consider "not too expensive". If you are on a tight budget you will almost certainly be able to get better quality with a wire (provided the phone's DAC and amp are up to scratch) than with bluetooth: all of the extra components in a set of BT phones cost money, so if wired and wireless are the same price then the wireless pair are likely to be lower quality to reach the same price (unless you are just paying for a brand name on one of them).

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones