1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support About memoery for the Note

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hajimeabc, May 7, 2012.

1. hajimeabc

hajimeabc Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Hello. Locally, I can only buy a Note with 16GB RAM. There is no 32GB version. My questions are:

- The memory cards are divided into classes. What class would be fast enough? Do I need to choose Class 10 memory? I plan to use the device to take HD videos sometimes.

- Somebody mentioned that it is better to get the 32GB version than the 16GB with 16GB external memory. The reason is that even Class 10 memory cards are slow compared with the internal memory. In real world use, is the speed difference noticeable? For example, if you play back a HD video stored in a memory card, do you see a lag? If you take HD video, will the device be able to record everything if it is instructed to store the video in the external memory?

- At Samsung showroom, the staff said that the maximum allowable memory is 16GB+32GB. I asked if the limitation of 48GB is due to the OS, the device or the availability of larger capacity memory card. The staff said that it is due to the device. He said that if I insert a memory card of higher capacity than 32GB, I can still use only 48GB. Somebody on the net said that in real world test, the maximum allowable memory size is determined by the availability of larger external memory card. So, if a X GB memory card were available, than the device would be able to handle 16+X GB. Any experience?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2012
    Male
    DevOps Engineer
    Germany
    No personal experience other than the fact that I am typing this on a 32gb Note (which I did need to buy on E-Bay). That said, other forum users have reported being able to use the full 64gb of Sandisk microSD cards.

The only noticeable difference between having an SD card insterted or not would be the increase in power consumption. I personally have a 16gb class 6 inserted and see no real difference in performance although I am sure that a class 10 would be quicker when transferring large amounts of data. My HD videos play just fine off this card but (probably) take longer to sync from the PC. It could be that the software based (MTP) transfer is actually the bottleneck.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
    Eric Ritchie.

hajimeabc likes this.
  3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Class 4 is perfectly sufficient for all purposes in the phone, but it is slower when you transfer stuff to the phone from a PC. For most users that's only an issue once, when they load their music collection onto the card, so paying more for higher classes isn't really worth the price differential. For users who regularly change up the content on their SD card a higher class card may be worthwhile.

I can confirm 64GB cards work fine in the Note, been using one in mine for about 6 months now.

ScandaLeX and hajimeabc like this.
  4. salla43

salla43 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    yeah, been using a sandisk 64gb since i got it before xmas. No problems whatsoever. Ive had it up to 63gb full of music and stuff.

hajimeabc likes this.
  5. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2011
    Same here with the 64gb SD card. 80gb phone ftw! Touringhaggis above could even have a 96gb phone :)

hajimeabc likes this.
  6. Max Revson

Max Revson Newbie
    None

May 6, 2012
    The Little Red Dot
    Speaking of which, if any of 'yalls out there are on a custom ICS ROM, when inserting a 64GB SD card for the first time, you'll be prompted via status bar to format the card. Don't be a fumbling fool like me and search in desperation all over the shop for a way to format the card. :eek:

I thought I'd borked the card when I tried to format in NTFS on my lappie and finagle the phone to recognise it (which of course, it merrily didn't!:argh:), which then led to countless hours slow-formatting the card in exFAT, FAT32, super-obesePHAT (yes, I made that up in sheer frustration) and even attempts to calculate clusters and attempt CWM format.

All that had to be done was to pull down the notification bar, click on the report of an empty card and follow the prompts to format it. :saint:

7. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You get the same prompt on GB if it isn't Fat32 formatted. I didn't get the prompt on my custom ICS ROM since it was already formatted correctly.

Good to see that the S3 will support exFAT natively :)

Max Revson likes this.
  8. Max Revson

Max Revson Newbie
    None

May 6, 2012
    The Little Red Dot
    I hope NTFS or exFAT support would become widespread soon on the Note... perhaps wishful thinking on my part.