1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

About resize - Custom mtd.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by togger161, Dec 24, 2011.

1. togger161

togger161 Android Enthusiast

OK, after installing loads of apps and games I am again running low on space again, having moved all I can to SD. Now down to 22mb of internal space left. So I feel the time has come to consider repartitioning/sizing the memory, especially seeing as I like AOSP roms - currently on Cyanogen 7.1. Done lots of reading and am a little confused. Seems like there are 2 methods.

So, my current situation is this.
    Phone is rooted and s-off.
    Using AlphaRev 1.8 hboot.

I have read in several posts about clockworkmod 2.5.0.7 being the last official version of and the most stable, so I downloaded the img file for this, along with the stock HTC splashscreen, and have flashed both to the phone using Fastboot Commander v1.51.

Phone is working fine - boots OK and clockworkmod 2.5.0.7 is installed.

Where I am confused is one method says I need to create a txt file with the partition sizes in it Link but the Alpharev site says just to download the hboot with the correct img file for the sizes you want Link

So to avoid turning my desire into an expensive paperweight, have I understood this correctly, and if so which method is the way to go? I was planning on changing from bravo stock to bravo sense, keeping the 40mb cache and moving 70mb of system ram across to data partition (the thought being that as roms develop and grow I would avoid the need to do this again for some time as AOSP roms such as Cyanogen should still fit comfortably in the 180mb system partition - I think 145mb is suggested in the tables)

Anyone fancy holding my hand through this - getting twitchy now I'm S-off. ;)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

It's all in my root memory faq. Custom mtd and alpharev hboots are 2 different things

Hboot is easier

togger161 likes this.
  3. togger161

But used to achieve the same thing? - you just get a little more control creating the text file method (can define the partition sizes exactly as you want them.) I also read about the issues with market and small cache etc. Also play a few games so don't want to drop cache below 40mb as it is currently.

So provided the custom hboot gives me what I'm after then this is the simplest way forward for me.

Will give this a try later whilst before the alcohol sets in.

4. SUroot

Well I remember people saying to me that cache was used for games but I can tell you conclusively my games (including more intensive ones like need for speed shift) took NO hit on performance what so ever when I had 3 MB cache, so I believe this to be false.

Downloads can be fixed using scripts or even editing the boot.img so that's no big deal. That 40MB cache partition is pure wasted, dead space

5. togger161

Seems to have gone well, and my 28mb free is now up to 98mb free. Only issue I had was there was no option to boot into recovery, so I decided to power down the phone and and reboot the hboot to get recovery so I could complete stage 6 "Boot recovery, wipe everything and restore"

Anyway, I goofed (nothing new there) and the phone rebooted. Everything works. As I said I now have 98mb internal memory free.

My question - should I still carry out stage 6 and wipe everything? All is working but I fear there is a reason for this to be done and worried I will encounter problems in the near future.

OK, just to be safe I've done a full wipe and reflashed rom and software. All is working well.

6. togger161

I'm not as clever as you - I wouldn't know where to begin.

BTH I have been tempted to try your Rom - it gets good reviews. I've had issues with 2 other AOSP roms in the past though. With Redux I had pictures and videos taken with the camera disappear then junk turn up in the lost.dir folder that turned out to be them. On Oxygen the GPS kept dropping out, then getting a fix, then dropping out, continually, so Sat Nav was unusable.

So far none of these issues on Cyanogen.

7. SUroot

Those issues do not exist in dgb as yet

8. togger161

@SUroot.
    I've followed your development work on your rom for some time and I am considering giving it a try. It always gets good reviews from users over at XDA. Cyanogen is running fine for me at the moment though.

Thank you for your help with repartitioning my memory. Reading the guides helps, but not 100%. Sometimes things become clearer when you actually go through it and do it yourself. I did get a bit mixed up between hboot, recovery and fastboot but in the end it was fairly straight forward and has given the phone a new lease of life. In fact I've been asked to do the same to another desire in the new year.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews