• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help About the 2.1 Update

Znupi

Lurker
May 11, 2010
First of all, I just got a Spica yesterday and I'm glad to join this forum! :)

I bought my phone from Vodafone here in Romania (middle-eastern Europe). I have installed NPS 1.5 (the one leaked from Samsung, as older versions weren't able to detect my device without crashing.. plus, this one seems to work on Win7) but unfortunately it says "There is no upgrade necessary" when checking for updates for my device (or, even better, "Could not connect to server" xD). So, I have a few questions:

1) Is this update official? Sources I find on the Internet seem to indicate contrary versions of the answer to this question.
2) If it's official but not available in my country yet -- anything I can do besides wait or root?
3) Am I not getting the update because my phone was bought from Vodafone and thus the update would remove the network lock so they're not giving it to me at all? If yes, could I go to Vodafone and ask them to update my phone?
4) Anything else I should know? I don't want to root my device or at least leave that as my last option.

The next session is for people like me who are trying to see if there's an update available for their Spica:
1) Download NPS 1.5 from here: http://box23.org/pub/7500/tools/NPS/New_PC_Studio_Install_1.5.0.AC4.exe (if link doesn't work just search for "NPS 1.5" or "New PC Studio 1.5" on google)
2) On your phone, go to Settings -> About phone -> Additional settings and UNCHECK (if checked) "Mass storage only". Took me a good few hours to figure this out and I haven't seen it written anywhere!! Only by doing this will NPS recognize your device as more than just an external storage device.
3) Connect your phone to your PC. Wait. Wait. Wait. "GT-i5700" should appear at some point in NPS. Click "Update Phone" (at the bottom right) and see what happens.

Hi mate. I am from Romania too. Speaking in english so i don't violate any forum rules. I've installed 1.5 too after long googling it works fine but doesnt do anything except upgrading, and the upgrade is not oficial yet for us, thus unavailable.

I don't think has anything to do with Vodafone, just not available in our country, yet.

Also download Android Manager it's a good tool to install, uninstall applications and transfer agenda and sms to and from the PC (something that the NPS should've been able to do but it won't).

if you need my yahoo id to chat give me a private message.

Upvote 0
Just as a heads up, the guys from Samsung support (Romania) have responded to an email I sent them. Here's the Google Translate version of it:
Code:
Sir,
Android version 2.1 is in testing and we hope it will be
available as soon as users in Romania. Each
user of this phone will be able to do one update by
using Samsung PC Studio software. Samsung will put Romania
samsungmobile.ro site section updates the phone procedure.

If this update does not meet your requirements will be possible
downgrade to previous version, but this will need to
Contact a service. Samsung service sites list can be found on:
http://www.samsungmobile.ro/supports/findingService/serviceCenter.do

Sincerely,
Samsung Team

It would seem all hope is not lost (I figured it would be since the update has been released about two months ago in other countries) and that they might still push an update at some point for the Spica.

If they don't release it in the next month (until after I finish my exams at college) I'm going to flash to 2.1 no matter what. Until then, I'll wait.

Original email:
Code:
Stimate domn,
Versiunea de Android 2.1 este in teste si speram ca aceasta sa fie
disponibila cat mai curand pentru utilizatorii din Romania. Fiecare
utilizator al acestui telefon va putea sa isi faca singur update prin
intermediul programului Samsung PC Studio. Samsung Romania va pune pe
site-ul samsungmobile.ro la sectiunea acestui telefon procedura de update.

In cazul in care acest update nu satisface cerintele dvs. se va putea face
downgrade la versiunea anterioara, dar pentru aceasta va trebui sa va
adresati unui service. Lista cu service-urile Samsung o gasiti pe:
http://www.samsungmobile.ro/supports/findingService/serviceCenter.do

Cu stima,
Echipa Samsung

Upvote 0
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
I have a problem with the phone. Both with 1.5 firmware and 2.1: I cannot use wifi to connect to the internet. I've tried several access points, with and without security. I can connect to them but i cannot access the internet through them.
Do you guys have any ideas about what could be wrong?

Upvote 0
I installed I5700EXXJE1, but rolled back to I5700EXXJD4 because of some glitches.

In I5700EXXJE1 you have you setup your providers APN settings.

Menu
Settings
Wireless & Networks
Mobile Networks
Access Point Names
Your Provider

Enter the APN settings for you provider.

You can also, if needed, hard code your WiFi settings.

Menu
Settings
Wireless & Networks
Wi-Fi Settings
Menu
Advanced
Use Static IP [x]

From here you'll have to set your IP address, gateway, and DNS server info.

Upvote 0
Yup. Filled in all fields and now it doesn't even connect to the network anymore. I've checked with an app to see the network info when it's connected with the static ip option off and everything seems fine, the IP, the gateway, the DNS settings...
I''m beginning to think it's compatibility issue, between the router and the phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah... the problem is with my router, it's not compatible with the phone. Anyway, i'll fix it eventually.
I have another question. Apparently Samsung released an official 2.1 update for my country. However, NPS/Kies doesn't allow me to update. Could it be because my phone has an unofficial 2.1 update? Do i have to downgrade it first? :)

Upvote 0
My version is I5700EXXJE1, the latest i could find. It works pretty well, except for the WiFi issue and a strange problem with my carrier's info service/public relations number - it sort of hangs up on me saying something like it's not available at the moment.
I am pretty pleased with the current firmware i have installed, the only reason why i would like to try the official update is that maybe it's better optimized for my country's/carrier GSM/3g network. :)
Anyway, Samsung's support is pretty lackluster and their software has many compatibility issues. Not really user friendly. :)

Upvote 0
My version is I5700EXXJE1, the latest i could find. It works pretty well, except for the WiFi issue and a strange problem with my carrier's info service/public relations number - it sort of hangs up on me saying something like it's not available at the moment.
I am pretty pleased with the current firmware i have installed, the only reason why i would like to try the official update is that maybe it's better optimized for my country's/carrier GSM/3g network. :)
Anyway, Samsung's support is pretty lackluster and their software has many compatibility issues. Not really user friendly. :)
I had too many issues with JE1, rolled back 1 to JD4. Not had a problem since.

You can check and/or edit your providers country's/carrier GSM/3g settings yourself. They're called APN (Access Point Names) settings

Menu
Wifi & Networks
Mobile Networks
Access Point Names
Your Provider

You can check with your providers website that they are all accurate, filled in and uptodate.

Upvote 0
Dude, i'm not a total noob. :) I know what an APN is and i have no problems with mobile internet settings, they work fine. My problem is with one of the carrier's "hotline", a special number (*222) for support issues (bills, services, etc). It doesn't work for me and my carrier's response was that there is an issue with the phone.
Anyway, what problems did you encounter with JE1?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones