1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

About the Nexus 4 warranty

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sdahe, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

Hello guys,

I got a Nexus 4 from Ebay and I would like to know how the warranty works. I've been using the Nexus for 3 days now and I have notice a really poor battery performance. Maybe the battery is not working fine.. I dont know.. Maybe is normal... I dont know.

About the warranty... If I send the Nexus to Google.. Would they return it to me or they will send it to the original buyer?... I want to make sure since I got this from Ebay.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast

Stuff like web browsing and playing games kills the battery in like 4-5 hours unfortunately.

3. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Yup its under Google's Warrenty for 1 year. Just give them a call and explain the issue and they'll get you out a replacement within about 10 days. They do put a hold on your card though until they receive the defective unit back...

4. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast

Getting the phone anywhere other than from Google voids the warranty. Read the booklet. You have to be the original owner with proof of purchase

5. mawil1013

mawil1013 Lurker

The best approach is to contact support yourself, this is a public forum, everything in public forums needs to be verified. Just contact support yourself. What would be helpful would be a copy of the original owners bill of sale, especially to prove it's not a stolen unit and to prove the original date of sale which has to directly deal with warranty determination. That said, once you give them the numbers on the phone, Customer Service should be able to 'see' the date of original purchase.

Something you can do yourself ahead of time, shut down all running apps and apps especially that may be running in the back ground, constantly sending/receiving data. Recharge your unit, only use it for phone, minor web, no streaming! no app downloads, observe battery for 2 days.

From what I've read, with common usage, phone, text and web browsing, the phone should make it thru the day and evening. If your playing music, video, Facebook, Twitter auto checking every 30 minutes, etc.., then no, not many phones will last the day.

Good Luck! (PS: My wife and I married in PR in 2009 and she is NewRican, her mother and father were born/raised in PR!)

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

You'd have to give us specifics about your battery performance before we can say if it's "normal" or appears to have something wrong.

After the 15 day return period has expired, all warranty claims for the Nexus 4 are handled by LG, who makes the phone. Nateap87 is correct, the booklet states that proof of purchase is required and the warranty is not transferable from the original owner.

But, as mawil1013 suggests, it's best to contact them and explain the situation. Many manufacturers will support devices outside of the printed warranty, especially if there is a known manufacturing issue effecting the devices. They'd be within the terms of the warranty to say "no" but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

7. Sdahe

Sdahe Well-Known Member

Thanks guys....

So if I buy a Nexus to give it as a gift... That person cant have it fix because is no the original buyer?... Thats not good

8. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

That does not sound right to me at all...

I'm pretty sure there's a 1 year Manufactors Warrenty. Regardless of who the original owner is.

9. lunatic59

I would think a Nexus bought and given as a gift, the recipient would be considered the original owner.

Thats likes this.
  10. acp

acp Android Expert

I got my replacement today the original one was overheating a lot around the top of the phone; unfortunately, this one has the exact same problem. The big difference is the screen color settings, the replacement is definitely calibrated to have warmer colors, all of the colors look more saturated.

11. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

How do whites look, white or more yellow?

12. acp

acp Android Expert

The original phone's whites looked more white or possibly even slightly blue compared to the replacement which looks a bit yellow.

I like the color temperature a little bit more with the replacement.

However, I'm sure willing to bet that a lot of these phones get warm or hot near the top of the phone. Also, I'm pretty confident that if you turn your phone to landscape while reading something with a white background you will notice around the warm part at the top of the screen there is a slight bluish color or darker color where the phone gets warm.

I was hoping this was unique to my original phone, but apparently not. I think the odds of this exact same issue on 2 random phones is very small, so I'm sure this is widespread.

13. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

I just received a replacement from Google and the new one is wayyyyyyyyy warmer as far as color temp goes. I'm contemplating dealing with my originals crappy and warm battery and bright white screen or the new ones very warm tones.

14. acp

acp Android Expert

I don't even notice the warmer color anymore

15. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

After using it for the last 24hrs or so I'd have to agree, my eyes have just gotten used to it! Only way I'd really be able to tell is if I have an iPhone 5 or something similar right next to it. Other then that I think it'll be fine as my daily driver.

16. acp

acp Android Expert

Crap just realized the replacement has two gouges in the shiny metal around the edge.

17. lunatic59

Is it a refurb?

18. acp

acp Android Expert

Lol I was actually going to put that in my last post that I think it's a refurb. Isn't there a way to check that in an info menu?

19. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Did it come sealed in the Nexus Box?

20. acp

acp Android Expert

Yes, but the screen protector was dirty this tine , the original one everything was spotless. It could just be a coincidence.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews