• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help About the security updates

reko

Lurker
Sep 4, 2017
There are monthly security updates for my phone listed in here https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html
I did contact to the manufacturer, but they said that they dont make any updates, Google does and i need to contact them.
How can i contact to Google and ask about the updates? Last update was over year ago when i got the Android 6.0. After that there havent be any security updates or anything.

-reko

For devices that were sold unlocked the manufacturer distributes the update.

It's certainly important to know what device and whether it was originally sold as an unlocked device or through a carrier.

From what I've read the real problem is carrier devices that are used on other carriers, but since I've not used a carrier phone since the turn of the century I'm slightly hazy on carrier devices ;)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Hi there,
I have unlocked LG G4. All phones in here are unlocked, they cant even sell locked phones.
I did ask this from LG support and they told me that they arent responsible of any security updates and i need to ask those directly from Google. They dont have any information about any security updates.

Still from that link above... "LG security updates will include all the security patches released by Google and patches for LG-specific security issues. LG recommends all users update their devices to the latest SW."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Google will not provide any updates for the G4: that is an LG phone, LG implement all updates to its software, including any security updates to the OS. Google only distribute updates directly to Nexus and Pixel devices: for others they provide the updates to the manufacturers, but it's up to the manufacturers to implement these for their devices and distribute them. Security updates are no different from other updates in this respect.

In other words, LG Support either lied to you or do not know what they are talking about.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
:facepalm:

How can they actually believe that Google distribute binary patches to software that they have adapted to their hardware? This has to be a low-level customer service rep making stuff up when they don't have a good answer.

The real answer is probably that the G4 is more than 2 years old and they are no longer supporting it, despite what that website says. But that would not be a good answer...

Upvote 0
:facepalm:
<br>
<br> How can they actually believe that Google distribute binary patches to software that they have adapted to their hardware? This has to be a low-level customer service rep making stuff up when they don't have a good answer.
<br>
<br> The real answer is probably that the G4 is more than 2 years old and they are no longer supporting it, despite what that website says. But that would not be a good answer...

That would suck for LG. I mean I heard that the S5 is still receiving security updates.

Upvote 0
That would suck for LG. I mean I heard that the S5 is still receiving security updates.
Yes, phone is 2 years old. Last security update was year ago. So they did support it only one year if that is true and they dont give updates anymore.
They are purpose to release Nougat later this year, because people did demand it. So it could be that i get Nougat when others are already using Oreo.

Upvote 0
My suggestion to you..if you can manually update your Google play store and Google play services..it'll give you several errors..keep playing with it stubbornly until it doesn't give you errors any more and will connect to the play store via internet when you open the store..then you should go into your installed apps inside of it..then you should see the updates available..I saw them in my unlocked 4 year old phone..
Chanchan is right..we are getting them even though of it's status

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a question..what is "a security update"..I keep asking Google what is that..it does not give a direct answer..it just says that some phones receive "software updates"..and bla bla bla..but that isn't what I've asked it..I'm very curious about the key word "security"..please..and what's the benefit of those versus keep your phone as it is..

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I think of security updates as patches--mostly security-related, of course--that close holes on vulnerabilities for which they've prioritized as needing fixed and pushed-out -- usually limited to those devices that they're still pushing updates out to, of course.

You're not likely to see "bonus" fixes or features for things that are not really security related (and by "security", I mean things that could leave your device open/vulnerable to being compromised (data lost or stolen, etc.).

Upvote 0
Do you remember the "dirty cow" exploit that was talked about over this past year? It was/is an exploit in Linux (the base operating system that Android uses) that allows normal, user programs to potentially do or change things that they normally wouldn't (or shouldn't) be allowed to do.

That particular exploit (flaw, opening, vulnerability) has been around for a very long time and Google (and others) have been pushing-out fixes that closes that particular "loophole".

This fix comes in the form of a patch file that gets downloaded and installed on your device--updating or replacing specific files to install the specified changes. I suppose there are some security patches pushed-out with other fixes, but the monthly security patches that Google sends-out, should just be security fix related.

Not all devices will get (or has gotten) the patch for this particular exploit (for various reasons) or even for other exploits.

Anyway, not installing a security patch leaves you less secure since there would be apps or programs that could, without your knowledge or consent, exploit a security hole/vulnerability and do bad things.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones