• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About time to say goodbye to the Droid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it could save me money, but I dont want to risk bricking the phone and having nothing
(talking about rooting and waiting)

ummmm I am unaware of a droid being bricked.....i considered getting the x but will wait...my droid rocks with bbv.4 with all the goodies....xmas time brings out the even newer and better models and as I said "My Droid Rocks!!!!!!!!):cool:

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
Ok I must be the only one that does not root my phones.
No, there are two of us that don't root their Droid.

I love the Droid but my wishes have been answered with the Droid X and not having to carry around that useless (to me) keyboard. I'm eligible for $100 NE2 tomorrow and will be ordering the "X" and selling my Droid.

Upvote 0
IMHO .... there is not a phone currantly being offerd that justifies the upgrade. A rooted overclocked Droid running a custom rom out performs most devices out there. I even recomend the original Droid to friends and family cuz dollar for dollar it has turned into a good deal that will be a great phone and still has a long life ahead.
One of the attractions of the Droid to me was it is a phone that can keep me happy for my 2yr agreement

I do like the looks of the D2 tho and the bigger screens coming out. But another big plus for the original Droid is the community we have and that wont be going away soon. My next phone must provide me with this as well

Im going to stick with my droid until a phone with a dual core processor comes out i like my droid and its ability to load custom roms and with the manufacturers locking down the bootloaders I am not going to upgrade to a phone that is locked down hopefully they do not all lock down the bootloaders.

Upvote 0
[/QUOTE]

ok the droid x is a nice phone no doubt. however there are a couple things holding me back from upgrading. for one i am already rooted. i can clock my droid past the processor speeds of even the rooted x. plus the screen is always the biggest drain on my battery life. i worry that the larger screen equates to larger drain on my battery. besides, its a phone, how big do you really need it to be anyway? when i upgrade it will be for a phone that i cannot currently outpace on processors, which i think will be sooner rather than later. i bet there will be a two gig phone in less than a year from now.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah the X has a too large of a screen for me to, thats why I want the droid 2.

Upvote 0

ok the droid x is a nice phone no doubt. however there are a couple things holding me back from upgrading. for one i am already rooted. i can clock my droid past the processor speeds of even the rooted x. plus the screen is always the biggest drain on my battery life. i worry that the larger screen equates to larger drain on my battery. besides, its a phone, how big do you really need it to be anyway? when i upgrade it will be for a phone that i cannot currently outpace on processors, which i think will be sooner rather than later. i bet there will be a two gig phone in less than a year from now.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah the X has a too large of a screen for me to, thats why I want the droid 2.[/QUOTE]

Then again droid two is to similar to the droid one except it has a locked boot loader. But in your case since you won't root its the one I would go with if I HAD to upgrade lol

Upvote 0
My guess is companys will continue to lock phones down. I cant really blam them, If I were them I wouldn't want people hacking my software either.

Why? What does it matter? The vast majority of users will use stock software. The minority that want to root or use custom roms still pay for the stock software the same as those don't. They still get their money either way no difference.

Wouldn't you be at the very least a little miffed if your car company of choice started shipping cars modified to only work with a certain brand of spark plugs, air filters, etc., parts that don't work as well and cost more? You might find yourself looking at other manufacturers for your next purchase. In this analogy at least the car company has a clear, though misguided, motivation. But in the phones, money isn't the issue. They just lock it down keeping you from making any choices and using roms that can far surpass what they pre install.

Upvote 0
The locked bootloaders make sense, it seems that they are doing it to prevent people from rooting their phones,then screwing the phone up and calling and saying there is something wrong with the phone and getting another phone, I'm sure this is costing them tons of money. Where as it probably costs very little to lock it down and preventing this all together. All they are concerned about is making money, and if they can prevent people from modding and potentially screwing up their phone you can bet they are going to do it.

Upvote 0
The cheaper and more effective solution is to root your current Droid and wait for something that's a more significant upgrade. Overclock it to D2 speeds (it can handle them easily), use custom ROM's, have full WiFi tethering, themes and whatever else you want. Spending all of that money on another Droid with a little more memory isn't really a wise idea, but that's just my opinion.

I know you mentioned that you haven't/don't root, but in this case it's saving you money and giving you the same solutions.

This is the best post in here. The droid 2 is aesthetically the same thing, so you're not gaining anything there. If you root your droid and start having fun with customization, you won't even think twice about NOT upgrading.

Upvote 0
The locked bootloaders make sense, it seems that they are doing it to prevent people from rooting their phones,then screwing the phone up and calling and saying there is something wrong with the phone and getting another phone, I'm sure this is costing them tons of money. Where as it probably costs very little to lock it down and preventing this all together. All they are concerned about is making money, and if they can prevent people from modding and potentially screwing up their phone you can bet they are going to do it.

I disagree with your reasoning on why they lock the phones. I'm willing to bet that they get more phones dropped in the toilet/lake/etc than they do bricked devices as the result of a root.

Moto and VZW (or any carrier) don't really want you to upgrade your software. It's great for PR, but terrible for the wireless providers and handset makers. They think that you will be less likely to buy a new handset and renew your contract as long as you are upgrading your software and getting new features. They want to make more money (the one thing you got right hahaha) so they want to reserve the right to cut you off and force you to upgrade to get the new features (ahem wireless hot spot that the Droid "doesn't have the hardware to do").

But the thing is, only a fraction of device owners will exploit their devices full potential (via rooting and installing custom software) and hold out on upgrading. As this thread has pointed out, many are willing to upgrade anyway so it doesn't make sense for them to lock the phones and make it difficult for those of us who do want to dork around with it.

Upvote 0
Why? What does it matter? The vast majority of users will use stock software. The minority that want to root or use custom roms still pay for the stock software the same as those don't. They still get their money either way no difference.

Wouldn't you be at the very least a little miffed if your car company of choice started shipping cars modified to only work with a certain brand of spark plugs, air filters, etc., parts that don't work as well and cost more? You might find yourself looking at other manufacturers for your next purchase. In this analogy at least the car company has a clear, though misguided, motivation. But in the phones, money isn't the issue. They just lock it down keeping you from making any choices and using roms that can far surpass what they pre install.

that makes no sense, Cars are modified in a competely different way they then a phone is.

Upvote 0
I posted this problem in another forum, and there is a very nice person trying to help there, but I thought maybe I would try here too.

I have a Moto Droid; and I have two problems with it.

1. Cannot search my calendar.
2. I have a daily reminder on my PC gmail and it was on my phone too and working fine for several weeks/months. All of a sudden, it no longer shows on my phone and I dont get the reminders. It is still on my PC Gmail.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones