1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root About to attempt to root for first time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sharksfan7, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I've had my Inspire for just over a week now and have been reading through this forum as well as a few others trying to learn as much as I can about rooting. I'll most likely use the hack kit and I've read and reread the effen manual trying to make sense of it. I think I'm at a point where I just need to do it to fully understand the process. But I'd like to know if there are any points during the rooting process where I need to be particularly careful. Any landmines that I need to watch out for, errors I need to avoid making or risk permanently bricking my phone? I read through the "Inspire 4G, rooting - Front to back" sticky and that makes it sound like it's pretty straightforward. But there are several replies from people that have run into problems and there haven't been any responses offering a solution. I can't afford to buy a new one if it all goes south.

Also, in a few threads where people have run into trouble, one suggested course of action is to "RUU it". I'm not exactly sure how that works. Can I use the Gingerbread ROM Update I got off of the HTC site for this purpose? Would I just run it as I would if I were just updating the phone to GB? Would this get the phone back running as it was before starting this process?

Advertisement

2. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    The people that run into problems are usually the people that aren't doing it right. I've rooted 2 inspires, ran into a problem with the 2nd one but I realized that it was because I didn't have the latest version of the Ace Hack Kit

Just make sure you are following the directions correctly and everything should be fine.

3. sharksfan7

None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the reply, MmmmBeeeeer. I'll make sure to download the latest version of the Ace Hack Kit...I would really like to hear what other kinds of things people are doing wrong.

4. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    The first time I did it, when I got to step 3 of the ace hack kit the phone locked up on me and the screen went black, with a picture of my phone and a red exclamation point...after freaking out I ended up going back to step 2 and doing it again, and it went smoothly after that.

If you get stuck, click this link and someone in the chat should be able to help you, it is the chat for the Ace Hack Kit

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

sharksfan7 likes this.
  5. sharksfan7

None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome! Thanks for that link. From what I'm reading, most problems that arise are recoverable. I'm just really worried about permanently bricking my phone. While I'm pretty good at following directions, there's always seems to be some little detail that slips by. Fingers crossed that this will go smoothly.

6. MmmmBeeeeer

MmmmBeeeeer Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    The odds of you bricking it are pretty slim, you'll be fine.

sharksfan7 likes this.