• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help about to buy s20 ULTRA AGAIN and must know if auto focus is still dead

notableuser

Aug 29, 2019
In the west
I RAN to 11 pro max because Ultra 3 days in no fix after preorder; Else buying the s20 plus
sure hope to see here at least it hesitates or hunts once and not all day or if when using promode it doesnt do the same.
remember I owned it once before.
loved all but auto focus
AND IF the plus is near a note 10 plus side I will get instead.

Last edited:
I've gotten software updates but none of them have mentioned updates to the camera update (Snapdragon). Others have gotten camera updates (Exynos) (most notably @ironass).

You can definitely "fix" the autofocus problem using Pro Mode if you plan on focusing manually but I wouldn't really call that a fix. Just... the absence of autofocus instead of the obnoxiously hunting. But then you're missing a feature that comes standard on even the worst Android phones on the market.

The problem happens much more often at close range so I've been keeping my distance and zooming more often.

Upvote 0
I've gotten software updates but none of them have mentioned updates to the camera update (Snapdragon). Others have gotten camera updates (Exynos) (most notably @ironass).

You can definitely "fix" the autofocus problem using Pro Mode if you plan on focusing manually but I wouldn't really call that a fix. Just... the absence of autofocus instead of the obnoxiously hunting. But then you're missing a feature that comes standard on even the worst Android phones on the market.

The problem happens much more often at close range so I've been keeping my distance and zooming more often.
seems i might advert the disaster altogether and go the plus as I had ultra before.I cant stand tiny screens. IF the plus is near the note 10 plus screen then I will pay that thamn be a fool twice with the ULTRA

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-214153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-214153_Chrome.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 736
  • Screenshot_20200501-214214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-214214_Chrome.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 696
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I RAN to 11 pro max because Ultra 3 days in no fix after preorder; Else buying the s20 plus
sure hope to see here at least it hesitates or hunts once and not all day or if when using promode it doesnt do the same.
loved all but auto focus

That's a Vivo phone. A nice phone to use, but Vivo and Oppo(same company) can be quite poor for updates and support.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
loved all but auto focus
Nope. Not yet fixed. Don't think it can be fixed by software. Wait for the Note 20 cuz Sammy might use Snapdragon across the board and dump Exynos once and for all and they'll do something with the focus hunting issue plaguing the S20 Ultras.

Upvote 0
Nope. Not yet fixed. Don't think it can be fixed by software. Wait for the Note 20 cuz Sammy might use Snapdragon across the board and dump Exynos once and for all and they'll do something with the focus hunting issue plaguing the S20 Ultras.

Not likely to happen. Seen as Exynos is Samsung's own silicon, and Qualcomm Snapdragon was bought in for the three countries that still require CDMA network compatibly, which are China(China Telecom), Japan(NTT DoCoMo), and US(Sprint and Verizon). Anywhere else, it's Exynos.

So is it Snapdragon or Exynos Note 20 that has this apparent focussing problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze and ironass
Upvote 0
Not likely to happen. Seen as Exynos is Samsung's own silicon, and Qualcomm Snapdragon was bought in for the three countries that still require CDMA network compatibly, which are China(China Telecom), Japan(NTT DoCoMo), and US(Sprint and Verizon). Anywhere else, it's Exynos.

So is it Snapdragon or Exynos Note 20 that has this apparent focussing problem?
In that case, I am divorcing Samsung unless all new phones get the same treatment.

Upvote 0
loved all but auto focus

There may not be a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra model later this year DUE TO S20 ULTRA FIASCO. READ HERE https://www.sammobile.com/news/there-may-not-be-galaxy-note-20-ultra-this-year/

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
loved all but auto focus
FINALLY,HELLISH WAIT OVER IN COVID 19 USA. JUNE VZW LOCKED UPDATE FIXED ALL CAMERA ISSUES

Upvote 0
loved all but auto focus
done/

Upvote 0
Did they ever update the camera software to fix the focus issue on the S20 Ultra or is the Note 20 Ultra the better phone to get for cameras?

Check the comparisons between S21 and S20 Ultra. I've seen this before where manufacturers focus on specs to market, taking one step forward on camera specs and 2 steps back on image processing.

https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-gal...a-review-dual-tele-with-room-for-improvement/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones