1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support About to factory reset - best way to re-install?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pinmac1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Due to lack of available ROM (now down to 21Mb) I am about to factory reset my unrooted Desire and re-install my apps. I have backed up my settings and programs in every program I can think of including MyBackupPro, Appsaver, GoLauncherEx.

When it comes to reinstalling, I want to get as many programs back on for as little space as possible. I will run the Apps2SD trick first. Should I then reinstall using one of the backup programs or would it be more efficient to install manually via download from the Market? This would obviously be more of a pain but don't mind that if it was worth it.

Also, I appear to be losing ROM memory every time I install/uninstall a program although I delete cache and dat before uninstall. Is there a good Apps management program I could use to monitor installation and ensure that all traces of programs are uninstalled?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Any thoughts before I take the plunge please?

3. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Since you are not rooted, there is not much that can go wrong.
    MyBackupPro can handle all your data backup/restore.
    Regarding the apps, you might loose the Market links if you use MyBackupPro. Check that first.
    You may also consider Appbrain - sync your apps before factory reset and sync again after reset to re-install them. You will have to re-install your apps one by one.

You might want to wait for the official Desire update to Gingerbread. This should allow you to move a bit more data to SD card. The internal storage goes down also because of apps data (no only cache). This is visible easily for example in browser.

The ultimate solution of memory shortage is the way of rooting.

4. Pinmac1

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Thanks, Usta. I realise that rooting is the best way to go but I don't feel brave enough yet. I had thought of waiting for Gingerbread but it could be a while yet (Virgin Mobile, UK) and I'm running out of room by the day.

Still not sure why my ROM memory goes dow if I install and then uninstall an app as I always make sure that I go in to Manage Applications and delete data and also use Quick Cache Cleaner to clear cache regularly.

Not looking forward to reinstalling but last time I did it I did get more space so I guess I need to do it.

Tags: