• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About to order the AT&T Nexus One, anything I should watch out for (former 3Gs user)

Just joined the forum!

I used to be a G1 owner, but I hated it, and switch to AT&T for the 3G/3Gs

But I have been in love with the n1 and had to wait until the AT&T version came out, so I just sold my 3Gs just enough for me to get the N1 unlocked

So are there anything I should expect thats bad / good

I havent heard much of the AT&T version of the N1, Im wondering if any new problems came up

Like 3G signal going in and out like the Tmobile version

btw, how fast is shipping? I live in California btw, so if I order Friday night which is now, I should get it Monday?

One thing is that you have to call AT&T and give them your IMEI number because I had problems sending/receiving MMS messages. I called them up and told them I no longer had the iPhone and asked me what was my IMEI number, they then told me to reboot the phone and MMS messaging was perfect again.

3G signal is as good or better then my 3GS and of course is a lot faster (1GHZ Processor ftw). You will most likely get it on Tuesday though.

Upvote 0
I am also switching from a 3GS to N1, as much as I like to have control over stuff I have no idea why on earth I picked both the 3G and 3GS as my phones. What a silly mistake. Now only if Google would ship it. I ordered on 03/24 and they haven't charged my card or shipped it out.
Man that sucks. I called them when I got impatient and they said they actually have three days to process the order before it's considered an issue. If it has not shipped by Monday morning I would call them. Heck I would probably call today if I ordered on Wed and still no shipping info. Hope it works out and congrats on the new device(when it arrives).

Upvote 0
Man that sucks. I called them when I got impatient and they said they actually have three days to process the order before it's considered an issue. If it has not shipped by Monday morning I would call them. Heck I would probably call today if I ordered on Wed and still no shipping info. Hope it works out and congrats on the new device(when it arrives).

Thanks, I might call tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to all of the things that this phone can do; downclocking depending on what the phone's state is to conserve battery life completely blows my mind.

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses guys, what data plan are you guys using for the nexus one, im looking to get 3G speeds, not the medianet stuff

also, former iphone users, is there anything you miss?
i did not contact att at all for my swap.. i pulled my 3gs sim and put it right into my nexus one. I had exported my address book and imported it to gmail so as soon as i synced up all my contacts were there in seconds!

as for things i miss... there are a FEW things that i will miss off my jailbroken device. I had a few apps like qtweeter (where you drag down from the top and post a facebook or twitter status in seconds), and i will miss getting my appstore apps from install0us and not having to pay for them ;)

other than that though... i can do everything on my stock nexus that i was using my jailbroken 3gs to do.

Upvote 0
i just got my N1 yesterday and ive been using the iphone for a very long time, i had the iphone 2g and 3g both Jailbroken with all the apps you can get from cydia and appstore. I enjoy the N1 but the reception part kind of annoys me. At home i would get atleast 2 bars with ATT and now on my N1(ATT) i get No bars at all.. so i would say the reception sucks.. thats the only thing i have a problem with. The battery life... i fully charged it and left the house at 11 and used the phone and tried to use it as much as i can to see how long the power would last.. i would say thats its not bad, by 6:30 pm i had about 19% left.. so thats alright.. what else..? pretty much the N1 is a good phone i have no regrets switching from a fully loaded iphone 3g.. only reception! and the screen!! i forgot about that.. i cant see jack shit in the sun LOL

Upvote 0
thanks for the responses guys, what data plan are you guys using for the nexus one, im looking to get 3G speeds, not the medianet stuff

also, former iphone users, is there anything you miss?

As a 2 year user of iPhones before getting the Nexus One, the only feature I can honestly say I miss is being able to control the music player from the lock screen. And the iPhone Calendar app is better than anything I've found available for Android.

There are about 2 dozen gripes I had with the iPhone that Android addresses - like naming playlists and custom notification alert sounds.

Upvote 0
As a 2 year user of iPhones before getting the Nexus One, the only feature I can honestly say I miss is being able to control the music player from the lock screen. And the iPhone Calendar app is better than anything I've found available for Android.

There are about 2 dozen gripes I had with the iPhone that Android addresses - like naming playlists and custom notification alert sounds.

the HTC Desire ROM addresses these - well, the Calendar might be a personal pref, but I find the HTC Calendar to be better than the stock Nexus one...

AND.... with the Desire ROM - you DO have the music player controls on the lock screen... it is truly awesome! :D

4497897290_38b5b4fabd.jpg

Upvote 0
it's starting to get to me a bit... it's a bit sluggish... not initially, but it just doesn't seem to manage background apps as well as the stock Nexus ROM.... having to constantly use ATK to kill stuff... getting really annoying...

will see what iphone OS 4.0 brings to the table on 4/8... i may have to "go back"... (not to AT&T though... that, never!... JB + T-Mo)...

Upvote 0
it's starting to get to me a bit... it's a bit sluggish... not initially, but it just doesn't seem to manage background apps as well as the stock Nexus ROM.... having to constantly use ATK to kill stuff... getting really annoying...

will see what iphone OS 4.0 brings to the table on 4/8... i may have to "go back"... (not to AT&T though... that, never!... JB + T-Mo)...

Wont you miss 3g? I would... try a different rom!
The keyboard is my only gripe about the nexus one. It's a lot harder to type on than on the iPhone. And sometimes when I go to hit the spacebar on the keyboard, I accidentally hit the menu/home button. But everything else about the phone is AWESOME. I love it. :)

HTC touch keyboard may help with this. No root required.

How did you sell your iPhone for that much? Was it the 3gs version? It seems like the going rate for the iPhone 3G is only like $300.

International bidders seem to be driving up the prices of jb /unlocked 3gs on eBay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones