• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About to root my droid, a few questions first

ADos

Oct 20, 2010
Hi all, new to the forums here and i apologize if this gets asked alot. I'm planning on rooting my droid soon and im wondering what i should do to my phone pre-root. I have the droid 1 with essentially nothing on it i would mind loosing except a few contacts. should i backup everything to my SD card? and once it's rooted and i download a ROM and dont like it, do i just download another one or should i delete the first one? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi all, new to the forums here and i apologize if this gets asked alot. I'm planning on rooting my droid soon and im wondering what i should do to my phone pre-root. I have the droid 1 with essentially nothing on it i would mind loosing except a few contacts. should i backup everything to my SD card? and once it's rooted and i download a ROM and dont like it, do i just download another one or should i delete the first one? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Your contacts are backed up in the cloud by Google, so once you log in on the other side of ROMming they will all restore. As soon as you root and get a custom recovery image on your Droid, MAKE A BACKUP so you have something to fall back on. THEN you can WIPE and install a custom ROM, overclock, theme, etc. Remember to backup, backup, backup! :)

Upvote 0
yep, you don't really need to do anything before you root. if you are planning on installing a custom ROM, that's when the backups begin. rooting will also allow you to download great backup apps like TitaniumBackUp and ROM Manger. Titanium will not only save your apps, but the information (settings, high scores, etc.) for them as well. ROM Manager is great making complete image backups, it will install a new recovery mode and allow you to name your backups whatever you like. once you start messing around with multiple ROMs, that is extremely useful. if i ever get stuck in a bootloop, i know i can just load my trusty "StockFroyo" backup and start over.

Upvote 0
so i pretty much root it then make a copy of what my phone has now just rooted? and also once i download a ROM and i dont like it do i just download another or do i have to delete the old one? i try and keep my droid and such as clutter free as possible haha. and also can anyone please link a guide for rooting on 2.2? simpler version the better haha

Upvote 0
so i pretty much root it then make a copy of what my phone has now just rooted? and also once i download a ROM and i dont like it do i just download another or do i have to delete the old one?

YES. Backup the phone's known good state as early in the process as you can. That way if you get stuck in a bootloop while loading a ROM you have a fallback position and can return the phone to the state it's in now. Depending on which recovery you use (I suggest ClockworkMod), you shouldn't have to rename ROMs so keeping them organized will be easy. Since a ROM is the phone's operating system, you can't delete one for the other. If you don't like a ROM (or your Droid doesn't like it), then do a wipe and install another one. The new ROM will overwrite the old one.

Good luck and happy ROMming! :D

Upvote 0
Alright so i think im just psyching myself out here but i dont wanna do anything to potentially ruin the phone. could anyone show me where to find a guide to do this? i see one that requires alot of work and one that is an app, so im a bit confused haha.

use SoupOrRoot,

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...olution-droid-thread-d-d-latest-v2-0-4-a.html

there are 5 very easy steps to follow in that thread. it honestly took me longer to get my USB cable from my bedroom than it did to root the phone.

Upvote 0
Neither did any of us... the first time we did it. Do it once and you'll be an expert.

Find a good ROM you like. I would suggest Bugless Beast 0.5 or Ultimate Droid 1.0.0 for you. They're stable and fast, though UD1 has more customizations. Download it to your PC and then mount your Droid via USB cable. Move the ROM to the root of your SD card and then unmount it.

AFTER YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR PHONE in recovery (x+power), wipe the phone and install ROM from SD card... then reboot. ROM goodness!

Upvote 0
hmm so i did what it said, it went through the steps but when i reset my phone theres no superuser anywhere like it says there should be. my phone isnt mounted either

Some people have reported having to run it 3-4 times to get the root to stick, although it worked on the first shot for me. Can't hurt to run it a couple more times on your phone and see what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones