1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

About wireless charging and its downside

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PrinceOfDorne, Apr 29, 2020.

1. PrinceOfDorne

PrinceOfDorne Well-Known Member

I have a Samsung fast wireless charger. Even if I disabled fast charging on my device, my phone still gets relatively hot even after it gets past 80%. It's different with wired charging. The temperature of my phone is normal even when it's charging super fast. So, is wireless charging detrimental to battery health VS wired charging?

ironass likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Inductive charging is less efficient than charging via a cable, so some degree of extra heat generation is to be expected (because wasted energy always ends up as heat).

Any statement on effects on battery health would have to be specific to this model, and I'm not in a position to judge that.

ocnbrze, ironass and mikedt like this.
  3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Haven't noticed anything crazy, but the samsung wireless charger has fan/cooler doesn't it? That *should* help.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

my phone does get warm during charging on my fast charger from samsung. but it is nothing to get too alarmed about. any kind of heat is not good for the battery over the long haul. so yes it can be detrimental, but that is later on down the line. you will not see any immediate damage. but you will notice the battery life will decrease over time. for me this is nothing to worry about because by the time i notice the battery life deteriorate, i will have a new phone. i usually get a new phone every 2-3 years.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  5. olbriar

olbriar  

I'm on my third phone using inductive charging. I did not experience battery problems with any of the three phones. All three will felt warm while charging. My smartwatch also gets warm while charging in it's cradle. I'm not in the least concerned.

NightAngel79 and ocnbrze like this.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra release date was February 14th, 2020. Features and Specs include a 6.9" inch screen, 108MP camera, 8/16GB RAM, Exynos 990 processor, and 5000mAh battery.

February 14th, 2020
Release Date
Reviews