1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Abouttime app, is big boss man watching?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Dremer03, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Dremer03

Dremer03 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    My work has started using the time clock app Abouttime Time Attendance - Portable Time Clock - Mobile Time Clock - Employee Tracking | AboutTime. Most people have it installed on there work iphones provided to them. I turned down the phone and opted to put the app on my personal Galaxy Rugby Pro.

If you know anything about the app it is supposed to keep track of location data when you punch in and out on the clock. What I am really worried about is active tracking. I dont need my boss knowing where I am 24 hours a day, which he used to do using Xora, on our old Motorola flip phones. Is the Abouttime app capable of activating my phones GPS or triangulating where I am via cell signal at any other time than when I punch in and out?

How do I block the tracking part of the app?

I dont need big boss man watching me while I am on my personal time, with my personal phone. I installed the app for my convenience so I wont have to keep track on paper where I am working day to day, and so I dont have to mail or deliver a time card.

Sorry for the partially long topic. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I would ask my employer to explain the app to me. Is it only collecting location data when you punch in/out or is it continuously? Surely other employees would have the same legitimate privacy concerns and any app worth its salt will provide a satisfactory means to address those concerns.

I'm thinking there's a there's a small chance the app uses something other than location to clock in and out (nfc? wifi?). That's easy for you to check whether the app has location permission.

Assuming it does have location permission, then use permission manager to revoke the programs permission to access your location when you leave work. There are lots of very good permission managers for recent versions of Android, not as many for older phones. (For older phone you might look at location spoofing intead.) But even with permission manager, you're going to have to go in and toggle the app's location permission every day both before and after work... a mild PITA.

3. Dremer03

Dremer03 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    What if I clocked in and killed the app in the app manager? If it's not shown as a running app, can it do any thing like tracking?

I did download fakeGPS to spoof my gps location. It does appear to work, Google maps, Facebook, and even the pizza Hut app were fooled by it.

4. Dremer03

Dremer03 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    When I open the abouttime app, then hit home and go into app manager it does not appear as a running app. So does that mean since it is not running, I can't be tracked?

5. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    The fact that it's not running continuously is encouraging, but not conclusive. When I look at my programs that use power in gsam, some I have not launched and they also do not show up in my running apps....they wake upon their own periodically to do "something" and then go back to sleep.

The permission manager app that I use (permission manager by infolife) on my 4.3 l phone can tell me when a permission was last used...that would let you know if the app is collecting location data after you close it and leave work. Is that app compatible with your phone?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.permission

funkylogik likes this.
  6. Dremer03

Dremer03 Lurker
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    Doesn't look like it is available to me.