• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AC Adapter 1 Amp or 500 mAmp

ChTidio

Feb 11, 2011
I have a generic AC adapter (from a different phone) that I want to use as an extra - one at home one at the office. The output is 5 V, as expected, but the output current is 500 mA, instead on 1 A (1000 mA) on the one that came with the phone.

Would I harm the phone if I used the 500 mA AC adapter with it?

It shouldn't hurt anything but will take twice as long to charge.

If you buy the micro-usb travel charger(the one without the USB slot that plugs directly into the wall and folds up when finished) directly from Sprint for the EVO Shift it only has an 850mah output. So, even the travel charger directly from Sprint isn't rated the same as the HTC charger that comes with the phone. It just takes longer to charge if the output is lower.

I use a charger from my old Sanyo SCP-3810 that is rated 800mah and it works great.

Upvote 0
ok so i have a question. I have tons of spare use/mini usb cables lieing around and read a thread on here about some one using a mini to micro adapter and just get a usb car charger. I concern is the hole 5v/1a thing. how do I find out if the cables will put out the juice i need, or does it have nothing to do with the cable just the plug in part and source?

Upvote 0
It shouldn't hurt anything but will take twice as long to charge.

If you buy the micro-usb travel charger(the one without the USB slot that plugs directly into the wall and folds up when finished) directly from Sprint for the EVO Shift it only has an 850mah output. So, even the travel charger directly from Sprint isn't rated the same as the HTC charger that comes with the phone. It just takes longer to charge if the output is lower.

I use a charger from my old Sanyo SCP-3810 that is rated 800mah and it works great.

query: If a phone comes with, say, a 700 mah charger, will using a 1 amp charger damage the phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones