• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Accepted an Android Update...I think?? What happened??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hi Everyone...

Interesting situation last night...my EVO LTE is rooted and I'm running the Viper4G ROM. After some changes to my phone and settings, I decided to create a nand backup and did so last night. After the backup was complete, I rebooted the phone and went to brush my teeth knowing that it would take a few minutes.

I returned to the phone to see the message "Android Updating....XXX out of XXX complete" (or something like that) :eek::eek::eek:!! There was NO WAY to stop it (as the process was like at 320 out of 355 when I picked up the phone) so it finished and rebooted.

I checked the phone afterwards and it appear that I am STILL rooted...I booted into the bootloader and saw that my phone was still "Tampered" and "Unlocked." Seems that my hboot was still at 1.19.0000 too.

So my question is, after creating a typical nand backup and rebooting and coming back to the phone and seeing this "Android Updating..." message almost complete, WHAT WAS UPDATED ON MY PHONE?? Was this just a normal process after the nand backup (but one that I have NEVER seen before)?? In the past with my old EVO I have had to ACCEPT (or decline) an OTA so was this an OTA?? Where can I look to see if "everything is OK"??

THANKS!!

Hi Everyone...

Interesting situation last night...my EVO LTE is rooted and I'm running the Viper4G ROM. After some changes to my phone and settings, I decided to create a nand backup and did so last night. After the backup was complete, I rebooted the phone and went to brush my teeth knowing that it would take a few minutes.

I returned to the phone to see the message "Android Updating....XXX out of XXX complete" (or something like that) :eek::eek::eek:!! There was NO WAY to stop it (as the process was like at 320 out of 355 when I picked up the phone) so it finished and rebooted.

I checked the phone afterwards and it appear that I am STILL rooted...I booted into the bootloader and saw that my phone was still "Tampered" and "Unlocked." Seems that my hboot was still at 1.19.0000 too.

So my question is, after creating a typical nand backup and rebooting and coming back to the phone and seeing this "Android Updating..." message almost complete, WHAT WAS UPDATED ON MY PHONE?? Was this just a normal process after the nand backup (but one that I have NEVER seen before)?? In the past with my old EVO I have had to ACCEPT (or decline) an OTA so was this an OTA?? Where can I look to see if "everything is OK"??

THANKS!!
this is not an ota......when i was on the mean rom it would do that as well. not sure what was updated. it usually does that when you clear caches and reboot......so your good to go.

Upvote 0
All its doing is rebuilding dalvik cache and maybe zipaligning the apps?

Its done it on every ics and above Rom when you clean caches. As far as I know its not actually upgrading anything

It does it to every app you have.

Makes sense...and by the "thanks" from the two familiar faces below without any additional comments, you're probably right! :D It is just that with the few nand backups I have done since rooting the new phone only a couple weeks ago, I never noticed the "Android Update" progress and it REALLY looked like some sort of OTA/upgrade or something.

Based upon what you said, and the fact that my phone seems to be operating as it was before, I think I'm fine. I'll keep an eye next time I do a nand backup and reboot...thanks!!

Upvote 0
It did that back on the og EVO when you flashed an ics Rom. Scared the poo out of me the first time too, so I know how ya feel :p

Yep, first time I saw it on the OG, I about freaked too, was sure I had somehow taken an OTA and hosed myself. :p

I have seen that on these Mean roms I flash too. You are good over there.

That's interesting...never noticed on my old EVO. I'll look again during my next backup...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones