1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Access Droid that won't unlock without erasing it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phoenix1822, Jan 13, 2019.

1. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

I have an old Motorola Droid 1 (A855) that I wanted to turn on and check the contents of. The problem is a majority of the display doesn't work and I cannot unlock it. Is there a way to plug the phone into a computer and manually import data on it or some kind of emulator that I can use to manually manipulate the display?
    I don't know if there was any kind of encryption that is on the phone that prevents data from being retrieved unless it's unlocked. Picture attached of how far the unlock slider will go. Any help is appreciated.

When I plug it into the computer it says "USB Debugging Connected"

PS - I am on a Mac (but have an old PC running windows 7 somewhere), and disk utility does not see the phone, but the system report does: https://imgur.com/download/BJJrc33

PPS - I tried using Vysor and Apowermirror to try to access it and neither can connect to it.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

unimat traffic likes this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by lunatic59, Jan 13, 2019 (1 points)
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If you had debugging enabled you could access it with adb commands, but otherwise, with a defective screen, I don't think there's much you can do, unfortunately.

4. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

Hey lunatic59, I believe debugging is enabled (is that what this means?):

5. lunatic59

Cool. Then you'll need adb minimal at least to access the phone and the drivers for the phone.

You can get that here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Unplug your phone from your pc, install adb and the universal drivers, reboot the PC and then plug in the phone. It should find them and in the Windows Device Manager you should see a new listing for "Android Phone". The definitive test would be to open up a command prompt, change to the folder where you installed adb and type
    Code (Text):
    1. adb devices
    If your phone is recognized then you will see a serial number for connected device.

Because this phone is so old, you might need to track down an older version of adb for it to work. There's no telling, until you try.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

Awesome thank you so much, do you know if there is any way to do this on a Mac?

7. lunatic59

Milo Willamson likes this.
  8. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

lunatic59 likes this.
  9. lunatic59

Do you know what you are looking for? Your basic linux file commands will work if you open an adb shell.

Try something like:
    Code (Text):
    1.  adb shell
    2. ls /sdcard
    Then you'd use adb pull [source path] [destination path] something like
    Code (Text):
    1.  adb pull /sdcard/DCIM/camera/photo.jpg c:\users\[yourname]\Desktop\prehistoricphone\photo.jpg
    You can review the file commands and adb options here http://adbshell.com/

10. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

:mad:
    also:
    $ adb root

adb: permission denied

11. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

12. phoenix1822

phoenix1822 Lurker

UPDATE:

I got the stupid thing to unlock, should I root it so i can get the data off it?

13. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

You shouldn't need to, but you should be running adb commands as root/administrator.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews