• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing app data files?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I run a program called Boinc on Windows and Android. It stores files on Windows in c:\programdata\boinc. I assume in Android it will be in Android\data, but on the phone that appears empty, even with show hidden files. When I connect to a Windows PC with a USB cable, I can see folders underneath that for every app on the phone, but they're all empty, which I know is a lie. How do I see these files? I need to change the config file in this app.

I run a program called Boinc on Windows and Android. It stores files on Windows in c:\programdata\boinc. I assume in Android it will be in Android\data, but on the phone that appears empty, even with show hidden files. When I connect to a Windows PC with a USB cable, I can see folders underneath that for every app on the phone, but they're all empty, which I know is a lie. How do I see these files? I need to change the config file in this app.

I think this is why govt law enforcement and other TLAs don't really like mobile devices, such as Android and iOS. Because the data is securely encrypted, and is not easily accessible to them, unlike it is on Windows systems

Upvote 0
    While I like the government not seeing my files, I strongly dislike not being able to see my OWN STUFF! So if I install Boinc on a Mac, I can't get to the configuration file? I fail to see how that works, since most of the configuration is done in a text file. The GUI only has basic functions. For anyone who's used Boinc, on a Mac I wouldn't be able to set project specific stuff like, well every single thing in this list: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration

It would appear this is incorrect, Macs aren't as bad as Android, on a Mac the file is accessible by the user in "/Library/Application Support/Boinc Data" - see http://dev.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=3373&nowrap=true

So back to Android, their security features are out of control. Version 7 was good enough. After that everything went wrong. I can't run half the science projects I want to anymore. I'm going to write a com plaint to Google. Are they the ones in charge of Android core programming? Surely there could be an option for me to securely unlock the phone to make it properly accessible? Or is that called rooting?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    It is called rooting, but it is not secure at all. rooting cracks the phone's security allowing you to have read and write access to the OS which is not secure.

I am not familiar with Boinc. what kind of files are you trying to access? If they are data files and they are not something that you have saved or created in the app, then most likely those are under the app's data files which are encrypted as @Dannydet and @mikedt suggested.

Upvote 0
    It is called rooting, but it is not secure at all. rooting cracks the phone's security allowing you to have read and write access to the OS which is not secure.
    I don't care, it lets me do what I want with my own property. When security gets in the way of the owner, it's wrong.

I am not familiar with Boinc. what kind of files are you trying to access? If they are data files and they are not something that you have saved or created in the app, then most likely those are under the app's data files which are encrypted as @Dannydet and @mikedt suggested.
    They're just the config files. This is an example:

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>genefer15</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.01</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

That tells the scheduler program to use half a graphics card and bugger all CPU for each genefer15 task. So two tasks will run per graphics card, and no CPU cores will be set aside for them. Editing that text file is the only way to tell it this. I cannot do this on Android because Google has over the top OCD security. I never had security problems on Android 7, why have they added this crap? It's like they hired a security guy to fix the wide open rubbish Android 4, then just let him keep on going.

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    The built in file browser located in Settings->Storage should be able to access Android/Data,
    That program just crashes. I was using the thing called "files" on the desktop, but it's limited.

I didn't spot this and tried the next one.

If that doesn't work this app says it can access the folder:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.folderv.file
    This seems to work, and when it can't get in somewhere, it lets me give it permission.

Based on a user review this file browser apparently can also:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones