• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing contacts blindly?!

badbert

Lurker
Dec 20, 2011
I have a rooted droid incredible. I dropped it in water but retrieved it almost immediately. I yanked the battery out, and disassembled it. Packed it in rice and let it sit. I unpacked it a few days later. Cleaned it out and blowed it dry. I installed the battery and turned it on. A vibration and then the familiar DROID! It works, it even receives calls. But the screen is entirely black. So I took it back apart, and sure enough... I had cut the ribbon for the LCD. I ordered a replacement (samsung version) from Amazon. It arrived loosely packed in thin bubblewrap. I immediately noticed it was used. The flexcable had kinks in it. It worked but the screen was almost legible. Washed out white with multicolored lines flashing, and moving it around changed the colors... So I sent it back. It will take weeks for a replacement. So I purchased a LG Beacon. Now the problem. I had all of my contacts synced to google, I can not sync them from there. I can not see the screen, to backup my contacts on the Incredible. Is there any program that runs on your PC that lets you see the screen on your PC? Any other suggestions? Where is the best place to purchase a new screen for my Incredible? Thank you all for your help!

The easiest way by far is to login to your google account, go into gmail, go into contacts, select the ones you want, and select the more button and export as vCard format (for importing into Apple Address Book or another application).

This is the same way your phone would export them to your sdcard.

If you insist on getting them off your phone, the only way I know to view the screen is through the android SDK.

To take a screen shot:

-Download the SDK from here: Android SDK | Android Developers and
-Once SDK is downloaded, run "SDKSetup.exe" and install platform 2.1 and
the drivers if necessary. If you've already downloaded HTC Sync, you
should have the drivers. If not, go here: HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads
-Enable USB debugging on your phone:
menu>settings>applications>development>check USB debugging
-After you have downloaded the SDK and HTC Sync, navigate to the tools folder of the SDK, right-click on the "ddms.bat" file and send to desktop as a shortcut. When you click on it from the desktop, the debug monitor will open.
-In the new window that opens you should see your device listed. Select it
and then click device>screen capture.

You now have a pic of your screen.

To refresh the current image click "refresh" in the window that pops up. It won't be real-time and you'll still have to guess where things are relatively on the screen....

Reactions: badbert
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones