• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

accessing files via USB mount

cdginther

Lurker
Apr 7, 2011
Hello - I just got a new Samsung Galaxy S and am trying to transfer SMS messages from my old iPhone. I'm at the point where I need to transfer the xml file onto the Galaxy, but when I mount via USB all I see is the following folders:
Android
DCIM
external_sd
LOST.DIR

The instructions I'm using (iPhone SMS to Android Converter) say to create the folder SMSBackupRestore on your SD card, then copy the downloaded XML into that folder. Launch SMS Backup & Restore and tap on "Restore", select the XML file you just copied over and voil

I just went though the same process with my new Inspire. I believe you have to have the phone disconnected from the computer when you preform the restore or the backup.

Try creating a backup on your phone while it's unplugged from your computer, then plug it in and you should see a folder that it created called SMSBackupRestore. Drop your .xml file in there. Unplug it from your computer, then try the restore and see if that works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones