1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Accessories for the HTC Droid Eris

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shante1012, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Birdog

Birdog Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    USA
    I found a freakin Body Glove Case!! Finally found it on eBay after looking high and low all over the internet with nobody offering it so I figured it didn't exist. But then I found [​IMG]this guy's eBay store and emailed him to see if he was for real. Sure 'nuff, he said he's got it in his hand and promptly sent it away upon my purchase. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here. Needless to say I'm pumped!

Advertisement

2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    Please tell me that after a couple of hours of drying time that the water underneath drys. Right now I can barely read the display, even though I squeegeed like hell!!

3. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    It might take a full 24 hours but the water/solution will evaporate.

4. Needsdecaf

None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    It's been about t24 hours, but it's not all gone, yet. But definitely better than last night.

5. DcSports

DcSports Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    How much of the soap did you use in the water solution... when i applied mine it had a few streaks, but everything was still visible. It does take a few days for the adhesive to dry, mine took about 2 days for all the streaks to disappear.

6. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY

Just use a lens cloth, and wipe VERY THOROUGLY.

When applying the protectant plastic, do it VERY quickly. even very very small pieces of lint and dust in the air will get trapped between the screen and the plastic, and you WILL have bubbles in this case.

7. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY

You guys need to look on Amazon.com.

I got this exact case (black) for $2.99, and I also got a car charger AND home charger both for a total $1.86. All with shipping, I paid about $12 for all of these things.

All perfect.

8. lyricalpursuit

None

Nov 5, 2009
    Naples, FL
    Check out this site. Hundreds of skins to choose from that come with matching backgrounds. Invisibledefenders.com

9. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Member
    None

Nov 12, 2009
  10. bjf88

bjf88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Does anyone have any pictures of their Eris with a screen protector and/or full body protector on? I'm a little worried about the fit and if it will cover those tiny gaps where the screen ends and the body of the phone begins. I always seem to be fishing dust out of there. Won't water get in there? And in the speaker?

I ordered phantom skinz just for my screen, but now that I think about it... it's glass. Shouldn't that be really hard to scratch? I would think anything "plastic" like a screen protector would scratch much more than the glass screen. But I guess that is what the self-healing is for?

11. Needsdecaf

None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    I've had the Phantom Skinz on since Saturday. Here's my take on it.

I like it. I don't love it, but I like it a lot. I should have prefaced that by saying the best phone to me is a naked phone. But I think it's a great cover.

To answer the question above: I used very little soap. I used a large (large) mixing bowl with only a drop of Johnson's baby soap. I tried to shake the water off and did a pretty decent job of squeegeeing it out. At this point in time there is VERY LITTLE residue left. I think if I had to do it again, I'd be able to do it perfectly.

The skin is slightly slick to the touch, so it gets rid of the "soft touch" feel to the back of the phone. There is slight "orange peel" effect on the back of the phone where it's black. However there is NO distortion whatsoever on the screen. There is also no to very little loss of sensitivity on the touch screen.

I elected not to put on the side and top strips. I wanted to make sure I could pop the battery cover off. I'm not too worried about it, as there is very little of the phone not covered, and if it gets scratched in that area, so be it. The fit of the pieces is very good. It offers quite a bit of coverage.

The only other downside is that the edges are a bit sharp. Not a big deal by any means, but it's just a little thing I will have to get used to.

The product is a vinyl film, and it adds a couple of mils of thickness that you can feel with your finger, but doesn't at all impact the feel of the phone. It still seems as small and compact as ever!

The film is self healing. I deliberately made a scratch across the back with my fingernail, and 24 hours later, it's gone.

Overall, I definitely recommend this product.

12. Haywire

Haywire Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Does anyone know of a car dock that will work for eris? I've seen the one that works for the motorola but I dont know if it will work on the eris or not..

13. kraze0g

kraze0g Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Chicago, IL
  14. Greg1234

Greg1234 Lurker
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    Others were noting the MOTA855HOC1 was a great holster/shell combo. I went to the VZ store today and found that item was for Motorola Droid (one thing is the back shell cut-out for speaker is bottom of droid vs where the Eris speaker is). Store did have equivalent for Eris (VZW6200HOC) for $30. SAME item except cut-out for Eris speaker and fits like a glove! Thanks to the forum for steering me towards this great accessory!

Now what's the recommendation for car mount for Eris?

15. DcSports

DcSports Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    soo... just tested out the smk blk case from ebay tonight, and that thing deff. did its job. Accidentally dropped my phone from about 3 ft up and its safe and sound. If anyone is on the fence about having a case, i would highly recommend getting one its just amazing on how much protection it provides. :rolleyes:

16. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    I agree....for the price the smoke black case is nice. It doesn't add much bulk, doesn't attract pocket lint and does a great job of protecting the phone against scratches and modest drops. Only knock I have on it is it interferes with the keyboard a touch in portrait mode for the letters on the extreme left and right sides and it makes adjusting the volume difficult. I'm considering taking an xacto knife and cutting out the volume keys.

17. Willard

Willard Newbie
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    I'll agree on the volume control being harder to press but its not that bad. The one i have does not touch the touch screen at all so i never ran into a problem with the keyboard. But i did drop mine on the ground and there was a rock there, luckily it only hit the back and not the screen.

18. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    I have the same one as you and mine doesn't touch the screen but it does get in the way of the Q, P, and somewhat for the A and the L with the keyboard in portrait mode but the protection it offers with little added bulk far outweighs these issues. Maybe i have fat thumbs? :D

19. kinakomochi

kinakomochi Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Props on this case. Slick enough to slide in and out of pocket no-fuss; grippy enough to hold securely. Still flexible in 40 degF weather (took out of mailbox and installed on Eris right away). Fit is very, very good, and better than expectations of a $10 product.

Prior poster said could see Google script through it on battery cover, and with my smoked one, he's correct. Material makes the phone MUCH easier to hold, at least for me, with nearly zero noticeable pocket bulk.

There are flaws, but not enough to regret this purchase. One is that the edges nearest the glass screen sides obstruct your fingertips a little, at the very edge... and the covered volume rocker needs a firm push to change setting (though the case has a formed area to ape the rocker, it doesn't make it easy to use). Shipping took four business days -- two longer than the prior poster who recommended it. Then again -- it was Xmas season (USPS over the Siskiyous... nah, gonna be late). :p

No buyer's remorse, not for $10. If it needs to come off, one second, then one to install again. I like it. ;)

20. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Pro Desk Driver
    Myrtle Beach SC
    I second all of that. I've had mine for a few weeks and I see no reason to buy a different case.

21. W4LLY

W4LLY Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    NYC
  22. W4LLY

W4LLY Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    NYC
  23. trau

trau Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2009

This case is really nice. At work I take the clip piece of it and put it clip side down on my desk, then use it as a landscape-style cradle while I listen to music. Phone ends up sitting at a perfect 45-degree angle.

24. cmccmc

cmccmc Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    This is the stand I made from packing material from a laptop. I cut my thumb on the first one and got it bloody, so I made this one. I like how cushy it is. It is like a nice lounge chair for my Eris

25. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I made this charging stand this morning. It was for my old Palm Treo until I gutted it and modified a USB cable to fit. Works well, but still needs some minor adjustments.

[​IMG]