1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support accidentally wiped my system

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by idiotwhowipedhissystem, Apr 7, 2016.

1. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    OK so let me start off by saying i'm an idiot and i don't know anything about custom ROMS flashing stuff and rooting.

so i have an htc one m8, i recently unrooted it because i wanted to updated then found out i couldn't because i have a custom recovery(TWRP) now, i just downloaded the new reddit app, and when i opened it it just crashes and everytime i tried to open it it did the same thing. so i went to google for help...

and discovered this link:https://www.reddit.com/r/cyanogenmo...wont_open_unfortunately_app_name_has_stopped/

so i did what the user saidReboot into recovery, wipe /system NOT FACTORY RESET, just /system and dalvik cache.

BUT i did not flash a ROM into my phone when i rebooted it so now its just stuck in the green HTC logo and i have no idea what to do.. i'm assuming you need to know my computer. since i'm not back home i only have my laptop with me and i have a mac :(

also i'm assuming all data is probably lost, but i don't really care about that now, i just wanna fix my phone

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Your data is not lost, there is just no system to boot into.

FIRST!!! Go into TWRP and make a backup of just the data partition. Do this by selecting backup, then check the check Box for only data.

Also, to be double safe, take the backup you made and copy it to your computer as a backup. TWRP will allow you to connect to a PC and transfer files, so stay in TWRP after the backup.

You shouldn't lose data on internal storage or SD card just from flashing a ROM but it's best to be safe.

You need to flash a ROM and for now I'd flash the exact same ROM. Other than your custom settings, you may find that you still have everything after you flash and boot up. This is the way it should be. If you want everything to be exactly as it was or if anything is missing, go back into TWRP and restore the data backup that you made.

badcatz, scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  3. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    hi! thanks for the quick reply, my phone right now is stuck(?) in the boot up screen, how whould i get it from there to TWRP? thanks again!

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Hold volume down + power. When the phone starts the reboot sequence, let go of the power button and continue to hold volume down.

When you reach the bootloader screen,press volume down until recovery is hilighted, then press the power button to select it.

If you can't see the recovery option, first select either hboot or fastboot. I think it's hboot, but it's been a few years since I've looked at an HTC bootloader.

scary alien likes this.
  5. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    so i tried it with the volume up button because down wasn't doing anything and it just reboots, it doesn't go into the custom recovery, is there another way to boot into twrp?

Mikestony likes this.
  6. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Also, just some advice. Any time you flash a ROM make a backup in TWRP after you get everything set up. Backup system, data & boot. This way you always have something to fall back on.

Also, I like to make a new backup right before I make any system changes. Then if anything goes wrong, I can just restore my phone to exactly how it was before I messed with things and try again.

Making backups is rooting 101. ;)

scary alien likes this.
  7. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    so what do i do now? since it is still stuck in the boot screen

8. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Try again but hold the volume button first.

If that doesn't work, try holding the volume button first again but never let go of either button.

If that doesn't work hold just the power button until you see the screen change then immediately let go and press and hold volume down.

I've never had a problem getting to the bootloader while stuck in a bootloop, but it can sometimes be a little trickier.

You may also be able to plug the phone into the computer you used when rooting and use the command: adb reboot bootloader

It's possible it won't work, but I've used it in bootloop in the past with success.

9. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    nevermind.. somehow i got it into the custom recovery! thanks!

scary alien and Brian706 like this.
  10. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    yes the latter is what i did, and i've successfully backed the data up into the SD card. so do you mind telling me how to flash my stock ROM? btw thank you so much for your help i thought i was doomed!

scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  11. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I'm going to be away for about an hour, but will check back in.

If you want to hold tight I'll get back to you about returning to stock. In the meantime, if you still have your ROM on the SD card, you could flash it again to get booted up.

12. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    i have to download it right? and then just install the zip file from TWRP?

Brian706 likes this.
  13. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    ok thank you so much!

14. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Yes, pretty much. If there is a flashable stock rom available. I would probably recommend a full wipe going from cm to stock (system, data, cache, dalvik/art) but it's up to you. If you decide not to wipe everything (except internal storage) and you run into any weird issues, you may want to try again with a full wipe.

Mikestony and scary alien like this.
  15. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

What carrier are you on, and did you just have a completely stock ROM on there? If yes to the stock ROM can you remember what software version you were on? If you can't remember we will just need to check what firmware you have on the phone (which is easy done) so I can point you to the right place. I'm kind of hoping you're not with Verizon though, as I haven't managed to track down a stock TWRP backup (I'm in UK so not as familiar with where to look for US carrier stuff).

Edit : this should be easy to fix, just might take a few steps to do so. By the way, just so you know I have an M8.

#15 saltire, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Hadron and scary alien like this.
  16. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    ok so i haven't updated in a while so i have no idea what software version i am on, i don't have a carrier, it's just a international version i guess? but i think i wanna update to 6.0 because the update prompt that pops up is quite annoying so should i jsut flash the newest ROM?

17. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    if i wipe everything, that doesn't include my SD card right? because my back up and everything is on there. also what does a stock ROM file look like, i wanna check if i have it on my SD card

18. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    well can you please tell me if i can just flash the newest version of the firmware instead of the same version?

19. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You can flash the newest version as long as (a) you can find one that's newer than the phone already had and (b) you can find one for your particular "customer id" (i.e. the region and carrier, if any, it was originally sold through). If you did no buy through a carrier and you think it's "just international" then that's probably a "WWE" phone (WorldWide English). If you want to be certain put it into fastboot mode, attach it to a computer and use the command "fastboot getvar all" and look for the "cidnum" - I'm assuming you already have fastboot set up if you have unlocked the boot loader and installed TWRP. The hboot screen will have information on it which should allow us to identify the firmware version already installed.

Flashing the stock firmware shouldn't affect the SD card, but pop it out first if you want to be certain. Note that your backup will be no use until/unless you re-root (the only things that can extract data from a TWRP backup are TWRP itself and Titanium Backup, which requires root).

The official firmware update is a windows .exe called a ROM Upgrade Utility, so you won't have that on your SD card. There is a way of extracting a zip from that which can be applied by the bootloader, but you can't do that without knowing (it has to have a particular name, which varies between models, and it's contents are quite different from a custom ROM zip).

20. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

OK, if you have an international version then that makes life a lot easier. But there are still some things we need to check first, to match up a ROM to your firmware. If by SD card you mean the external physical micro SD card in the tray slot, nothing we do will wipe that. In short, no you can't just flash firmware and not on HTCs as they have an extra security layer built in (what's known as s-on, but that's for later). Travelling now but will get back to you tomorrow.

21. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    so where do i input this command? in the terminal?

22. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    im in the hboot screen and i see stuff about the radio, open dsp, OS-(blank) and emmc-boot

so what do i need to tell you, or do i need to do something else like check smartSD or image CRC or SHOW BARCODE

23. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    How did you unlock the bootloader without using fastboot?

It's a program you install on your computer and run it from there (from the command line). You can find more information about it here.

24. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The HBOOT version itself will help (for people familiar with the M8). The radio version also helps.

25. idiotwhowipedhissystem

None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    i honestly don't remember, i might have rooted it on my pc which is not with me at the moment, im using a mac right now...