• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Acclaim keeps shutting off!

ali79shine

Aug 17, 2010
My Samsung Acclaim keeps shutting off on me, I have to then pull the battery to turn it back on! ANNOYING! US Cellular wants me to bring it in for a new one- however apps won't transfer over to the new phone- This is gonna drive me nuts!

It has shut off for about the last 3 out of 5 days. Battery life is fine, fully charged. Unsure as to why it keeps shutting off. And I can't just turn it back on I have to pull the battery.

Anyone else have this problem?:mad:

I was having this problem for a few days. I'd throw it in my pocket for a while, pull it out to check on something and it would be off. None off the buttons would be responsive, which like the original poster, I had to remove the back and take the battery out, replace the battery then turn the unit on.

Its not like this thing boots up fast either ;(. I ended up resetting my phone, and that seemed to work, but since then I've rooted it and, and I am now running a custom Rom. I haven't had the problem in 3+ days. :D

Upvote 0
Same problem with my Android. I got a call from US Cellular last night, they said I could pick up my phone this morning. They didn't end up sending it out for repair. I have a feeling they just reset like previous poster did. I'll let you know how I make out. I was in serious withdrawal without my phone for a few days. And not happy they said it might be 4-6 weeks for the repair. I only had the phone 20 days, I think they should have given me a new one....

Upvote 0
I'm on my 2nd Acclaim with the same problem as other posters. I love this phone, so what a bummer. It had been just eating the battery up when it was in my pocket or on the table. I'd come back and the phone would be very hot and the battery totally dead. The last time, it was unresponsive and I was able to get back in service by removing the battery and putting it back; the charge was saved. That's much better than having to re-charge it right after I just finished charging it, without having used the phone at all. Great phone, but this is a BIG problem that US Cellular and Samsung need to correct. I agree, this is a recall situation.

Upvote 0
Same issue here. I'm on my second Acclaim and both have had this issue. I've been browsing forums and it doesn't seem to be just Acclaims that this is affecting. I've seen a few complaints about this with the Hero as well. It seems to happen with mine shortly after ending a phone call. It's like it goes into "sleep" mode and nothing wakes it up.

Upvote 0
Maybe it is an app causing the problem. My phone has done this once but that was after I was using Astro file viewer. Maybe its a software protection on the phone causing the phone to reboot. A lot of the software on the market access different parts of the phone software so that might be an issue. Im new to this android phone that is i used to have a htc ppc6800 unlocked and running different version of windows because of uscc inability to push an update. This new phone has been wonders a whole different world so maybe its a market app or just everyone is so excited that uscc has android phones and we are all enjoying the unlimited internet and the 70,000+ apps market and thats the cause of the reboot is bad software.

Upvote 0
I've had the acclaim since USCell released it and have had this issue and many more such as...
1. Phone will not allow you to answer an incoming call bc the screen won't come alive.
2. Green screen on camera/barcode reader forcing a reboot to fix.
3. Sluggish performance overall, lots of forced close issues.

Finally I got fed up enough to take it to USC and they had me take it to the techs. After an hour the answer I got was that this phone is a low end android phone with very little memory available for apps. He said that 20MB free memory was not enough and was causing all of the problems. I asked about the HTC Desire, saying that I would pay the extra to upgrade since I've had the Acclaim for less than two months, but he said the Desire has the same memory issues, but a slightly faster processor. The final recommendation was to root it or find a way to remove the bloatware that USC installs.

After removing some apps and trying to keep at least 30-40MB free, the phone does seem to run faster but I will have to wait and see if the reboot/green screen issues return. Those seem more like hardware issues to me.

Upvote 0
Totally frustrating- I finally went in and they gave me a new one. But if it does this again I'm going to get real frustrated! I love the phone- wished it worked the way I wanted it to. My friend took his back due to the same problems, they gave him the Desire, I'm interested to see how this works for him.

Upvote 0
Wait, what, the Acclaim's been rooted? I must look into this!

Ali79, rooting means getting root. Root is to a Linux system (which Android is) what Administrator is to a Windows system. In Android you run as a limited user, which is a Good Thing for your phone.

When you have root, you can uninstall crap like CityID, MySpace, Twidroid, and all the useless crap that comes with the phone. You can also get custom builds of Android, you can get an ad blocker, you can get FroYo (Android 2.2 -- the Acclaim comes with Eclair/2.1) early... and you open your phone up to a world of security vulnerabilities that can exploit root. Don't do it! unless you know what you're doing.

Upvote 0
Wait, what, the Acclaim's been rooted? I must look into this!

Ali79, rooting means getting root. Root is to a Linux system (which Android is) what Administrator is to a Windows system. In Android you run as a limited user, which is a Good Thing for your phone.

When you have root, you can uninstall crap like CityID, MySpace, Twidroid, and all the useless crap that comes with the phone. You can also get custom builds of Android, you can get an ad blocker, you can get FroYo (Android 2.2 -- the Acclaim comes with Eclair/2.1) early... and you open your phone up to a world of security vulnerabilities that can exploit root. Don't do it! unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks DR- I am not that advanced! But I would love to get rid of the STUPID apps like CityID, Myspace, etc. I was able to a least hid them with the LP you told me about- That was awesome! Thanks

Upvote 0
when i was at us cellular getting my Desire the sales guy was telling me about how the acclaim was nothing but trouble and they keep coming back.... maybe look into switching to a desire if you havent had it for a month you can return it and get a better phone

There lies the problem, I've had it for like 43 days, and have switch to a NEW Acclaim last Friday(they gave it to me since I was only at like 38 days). I'm sure they won't give me a new one!

Upvote 0
I had this happen once on my phone. At the time, it was loaded with applications, and very little free space. I believe that what Crober reported may be quite right.

In the computer world, operating systems like Windows or Linux have swap file space. I have to wonder what phones do in this area, and if they aren't making some use of the open application software space. Like Crober, I noted a marked increase in performance when I don't load the phone down with tons of apps. The phone performs like it should, and it doesn't shut down on me.

Just a thought. For folks who are having this problem, you might try performing a Factory Data Reset (go to Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset) and then run with just minimal 3rd party applications for a week or two to see if the issue clears up.

Another thought is this. Developer Joe creates application "X". He tests it extensively using the simulator in the Android SDK. It works great. Meanwhile, developer Mike does likewise with app "Y", and his application works fantastic as well. They both set their apps up in the Marketplace. Along comes Tom with his shiny new Android phone, likes what he sees, and downloads both "X" and "Y". His phone starts acting up, performance is lousy, and he's at his wit's end. Unfortunately, Joe and Mike's applications, although they each separately work just fine, when combined together on the same phone, butt heads.

I've experienced this first hand working as a Systems Administrator for over a decade, and it would not surprise me to find it an issue with Android.

Upvote 0
Got my second acclaim on Wednesday and it shut down three times over the weekend. Missed a text from my son because of it and he had to wait outside for me for 1/2 hour. Called US cellular tech support this morning. THey claim I am the only one that has this problem, they are not getting calls regarding this problem! My luck to have two bad phones I guess. Basically tech support told me to get rid of all my downloaded applications from Android and try that. So they give you $20.00 to use at the Android market, but suggest you don't use it. I should have just got a blackberry I guess. We'll see what happens.................

Upvote 0
One big issue seems to be using a different launcher other than the stock one. Even with a ton of free memory, the phone was incredibly slow and buggy while running LauncherPro. I did not have as many issues with Zeam, but I've since gone back to the stock launcher and everything is behaving much better.

Upvote 0
After taking off all apps just checked my phone and sure enough it had shut down. I'm really irked that tech is claiming that I am the only call the have received about this problem. I find that really hard to believe. First phone got factory reset and that still had the problem. So I just happened to get two bad phones what are the odds. I guess I will be calling again tomorrow. They said they could put be in another Android for a "deal"! I am frustrated to no end.

Upvote 0
i had problems with launcher pro too. i uninstalled it and tried adw i think its called. but then i went back to launcher pro. i found that in the launcher settings that you can manage some of the memory and cache settings on the launcher to be lighter and i checked the box for the droid hack under general settings. these changes made significant improvement to the point that i dont notice a different in behavior in launcher vs the stock. not sure which of those settings was the one that did it or if it was a mix of all of them but this may help anyone else who wants to use launcherpro but was having problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones