• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Acclaim keeps shutting off!

I am having this issue as well. I will use my phone, then set it down to go do something. Then later come back to do something on it and it will be off. And i can only get it back on by removing the battery. I like the phone. I would just like some of th extra features the Desire has such as the cpu, and camera. But i dont have the extra money now. Also, i called USCC about this issue, and they said that i would have to bring it to them and they want to send it into Samsung to fix. Which might take 6-8 weeks. Which that is waaaay to long, the reason why i havent done anything about it yet.... im sorta stuck right now....

Upvote 0
I've had this issue with 2 Accalims now. After talking to tech support, I reset the phone to the factory default (Under Setttings/Privacy), then one by one installed apps and so far it's not gone unresponsive yet. I also noticed in the manual that it says you can do a reset for an un-responsive phone by pushing the Up Ringer Volume, camera and power buttons. Has anyone tried this to see if this at least eliminates the need for pulling the battery?

Upvote 0
As I mentioned above, there are generally two reasons why a computer (and your phone is a computer in small form factor) becomes unresponsive or shuts itself down. One is lack of space. Too many applications loaded, or too much running can cause this. The other is an application that has gone rogue, or is not acting as designed.

As ankmcderm noted, performing a Factory Data Reset (found under Settings > Privacy) will usually correct this issue. Just remember to not then go back and reload all the stuff you had on the phone previously.

Note that most Android applications are developed on a PC, using an Android emulator that is part of the Android SDK (Software Development Kit). This means two things. First, Application 'X' may not work well with your phone's hardware. Also, Application 'X' may work well, but may conflict with Application 'Y'. This holds true for both computers and phones, and I have seen it a number of times in my 15+ year IT career.

So, my advice is twofold. Don't load your phone to its limits with applications. Give it some breathing room. Also, load an application and give it some time to see if it causes problems before loading something else. Usually, the last app you loaded before the problem began is the culprit.

Keep in mind the Acclaim was designed as an entry level Android phone, and as such, doesn't have the capabilities of say, the Nexus One or Samsung Galaxy S.

Upvote 0
My phone has no dowloads on it, deleted them all. I don't run the GPS, per advice of US Cellular Customer Service. It has been master reset twice. This is the second Acclaim and it still shuts off randomly.... Shutting off the GPS seemed to help a little. The suggestion by customer service was that the phone was working too hard to get location and therfore was shutting the phone off. So I have an android that can't download any apps and the gps doesn't work!! But according to US Cellular I am the only one with this problem............

Upvote 0
My boyfriend and I both got the acclaim on Sept. 30 (thursday is the day, date may be off)...

In the last month, he has several (albeit spread out) instances of phone → off → power button doesn't work → battery removed/replaced → phone turns on with power button...

In that time, mine had shut off two or three times, but I was able to turn it back on with the power button.

However, in the last 24 hours, it has shut off 4 times (once over night, thankfully, I thought ahead to this issue and had my old phone alarms on so I didn't miss classes) where I need to remove the battery to turn it back on.

Before deleting apps (I had installed a bunch the night before the eventful day of power-offs), I had just over 30 mb free on the phone. I deleted all apps but a few (parking memory app...since it was free, temporarily, and i didn't want to have to pay to reinstall)...left on 2 or 3 new games. Had around 70 mb free on the phone after that. Still powered down another time after that.

Last night's over-night power down was weird...I had over 90% batt power before going to bad (I have watched this before, and use about 20% over night if not touching it and not plugged in) and somehow my battery drained to 0%...when I woke up to old-phone-alarm, I found my acclaim was off, so I removed the battery to find it hot, put it back in, plugged it in, and turned it on...the difference here is that all 3 times it powered down during the day, the battery levels were fine.

I love this phone, and especially the physical keyboard, but depending on how a visit with uscc goes in the next few days, I may have to reach into my already nearly-empty-college-bank-account and dish out another 150 for the galaxy s...

does anyone have any other suggestions otherwise?

Upvote 0
I don't think that deleting the apps alone will resolve the problem. You are probably going to have to perform a Factory Data Reset. Something seems to remain when apps are deleted with Android, at least that has been my experience.

A computer (and make no mistake, this phone is a computer) shuts down on its own for only a couple reasons. It runs out of memory, or its CPU (processor) becomes overloaded. In the case of these phones, I believe that it may be the latter. A rogue application begins eating processor cycles and finally the phone can't take anymore, throws up its hands, and shuts down.

A Factory Data Reset is really not all that hard to perform. You'll want to make certain that all of your contacts are backed up, either through GMAIL or My Contacts Backup. You will need your GMAIL account info (email address and password), plus account info for any other email addresses you have on the phone. You may want to list out the applications you've installed. I did this using the text editor on my computer.

Your data (media files and documents) is not stored on the phone itself. It is stored on the memory card, which is not touched during a factory reset.

Once this is accomplished, you will go to Settings > Privacy and tap on Factory Data Reset. You will be queued twice on "do you really want to do this" and then the phone will be wiped and reset to default settings. The phone's basic programming will not be messed with.

Once the phone comes back up, log into your GMAIL account, using the GMAIL application (white envelope, big red "M"). Next, recover your contacts, either through logging into your GMAIL account or through running My Contacts Backup. If you forgot your MCB password, there is a link at http://mycontactsbackup.uscellular.com to send it to your phone in a text message. After logging into GMAIL and getting your contacts back, I generally direct folks to a few settings that will help your GPS to function better. The can be found under Location & Security, Accounts & Sync, and Privacy, under Settings. Under the first two, make sure the top two boxes are checked, and under Privacy, make sure Use My Location is also checked. Next, go to your browser, navigate to Google, and there tap on Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the resulting page and tap on the "Yes" radio button for "Allow use of device location?" Select Save and you will be returned to the Google page. Tap on your Home key to get back to your main screen.

Next, set up any other mail accounts. If you are setting up a Yahoo account (this includes AT&T Yahoo variants) I strongly recommend using the Yahoo Mail application found in the Android Market instead of the phone's Email applet. I also recommend using the Hot Email app for Hotmail accounts.

Finally, take it easy with the third party apps.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. I am on my second phone in 3 months. I have taken it back 3 times. Here is what they did. First visit, the tech guy said that one of the apps I downloaded was affecting the phone. So I took off ALL the apps. (there went my $20 in free apps). That did not work. Second visit, the tech guy messed with some settings. I didn't even make it home from the store and the phone had shut off. Didn't work. Third visit, the tech said the battery was bad? really? it held a charge just fine and I argued that his determination was silly. So, in went another battery. The phone shut off 2 hours later. Didn't work. So now, I guess I have to go back and demand ANOTHER phone. AND, I am going to have them throw in a new hard case. I broke the last 2 becasue I had to keep taking them off to remove the battery cover and battery to turn the stupid phone back on.

I use this phone the majority of the time for work. It is VERY frustrating to have to try to take the case, rear cover and battery out, while driving, and then waiting for the phone to boot up everytime you want to make a stupid call.

Upvote 0
Like a couple people mentioned, I noticed this problem after installing LauncherPro. I love the launcher, so I'm going to try and mess around with the memory usage settings before I trash it. It was set to High (I think by default) and I just changed it to Light. I'll monitor it for a few days and see if things improve.

BTW, for those of you who restore and need to reinstall all of your apps, download AppBrain before you restore and it will sync all of your apps. When you log back into AppBran after the restore, it will automatically bring back all of the apps you had installed.

Upvote 0
I've been running Launcher Pro on my phone for the past couple of months without issue, so I don't think it is the core problem.

That said, I just installed Froyo from the link below, and my phone's performance has seemed to improve. It took a while for Samsung to get this out, so hopefully, it will correct some of the issues we've seen.

Link to Froyo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones