• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

According to VZWSupport's Twitter Page, we are supposed to have live wallpapers.

Just in case nobody realised it, the people that do Twitter for Verizon aren't techs and are most likely marketing interns. They only know what the little piece of paper in front of them tells them. If that piece of paper said that the Eris allows you direct communication with God, that is what they would tell you.

Upvote 0
Just in case nobody realised it, the people that do Twitter for Verizon aren't techs and are most likely marketing interns. They only know what the little piece of paper in front of them tells them. If that piece of paper said that the Eris allows you direct communication with God, that is what they would tell you.

Wait... WHAT?!?!
Are you saying that for people who get/got the OTA... we will not be able to access android forums on our phones to read your posts? :mad:

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
VZW did fine on the update. They put a bunch of features in there that serve us well. They failed in that they didn't care enough to get what is supposed to be there correct in their release literature. That is a major fail on their part and though some people believe that we should give thanks to God Almighty for getting 2.1 on the Eris, I am majorly disappointed.

Upvote 0
There is no way the Eris is going to run live wallpapers. It would cripple the phone. The CPU does not have anywhere near the FPU capabilities to run them.

Ran live wallpaper on my Eris when I had VanillaDroid. The phone wasn't crippled at all. The live wallpaper paused when it had to show menu animations and stuff, but it ran just as fast as a static wallpaper. It just pauses in the background so it doesn't eat CPU cycles. Some of the more complex wallpapers had FPS issues, no doubt, but saying there is no way it can run live wallpapers is completely wrong, if it has been done.

Upvote 0
Ran live wallpaper on my Eris when I had VanillaDroid. The phone wasn't crippled at all. The live wallpaper paused when it had to show menu animations and stuff, but it ran just as fast as a static wallpaper. It just pauses in the background so it doesn't eat CPU cycles. Some of the more complex wallpapers had FPS issues, no doubt, but saying there is no way it can run live wallpapers is completely wrong, if it has been done.

Live wallpapers slows down my Droid Incredible slightly, so it would definitely slow down an Eris. The Eris just simply can't handle some of this new stuff with it's last gen processor and RAM. Heck it couldn't even keep up with my typing.

Upvote 0
Dont get me wrong, Im sure it can run some cheesy animated backgrounds but live wallpapers you have confirmed is a no-go. Not only that but since the CPU is maxed out while running them you can say bye bye to your battery. Its just not going to work and this was the reason live wallpapers was removed from the 2.1 upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones