• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ace Hack Kit Questions

GStarPaw

Jan 20, 2012
OK I'm bored of waiting and orangehelpers on twitter have today confirmed no known update schedule for branded handsets... so I need to de-brand. Dont need unlock or root just the normal unmolested htc firmware.

I have always done orange updates so current version is Android 2.3.3 Sense 2.1, software 2.50.61.3;

I'm aware of lots or differing ways of doing things, lots of download options and something called goldcard. Would someone be so good as to offer simple instruction as to the best and reliable way to achieve my aim. I'm not a techy and am worried about breaking things so an easy step by step with links to current software versions to use would be truly helpful.
In anticipation, Ian

Hi, Sorry to kinda hijack this thread... I was going to start a new thread but it seemed pointless having duplicates since I'm in the same boat and this post sums up word for word what I'd like to do.

I have a few questions which I hope people don't mind answering?

1) I understand from reading about the Advanced Ace Hack Kit that this is the easiest method of rooting my handset. Is there an alternative method to this that doesn't include Busybox? (I'd like to keep the phone as stock as possible)

2) I'd like to flash the handset with an RUU, just for starters... Am I right in saying that this release (RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.3_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.15_M3_release_155032_signed.exe) is the same software version as my currently installed Orange branded rom but with the exception of it being a generic HTC rom? If so... Will this work on my device?

apologies again for jumping on the back of this thread.

Gavin

Hi, Sorry to kinda hijack this thread... I was going to start a new thread but it seemed pointless having duplicates since I'm in the same boat and this post sums up word for word what I'd like to do.

I have a few questions which I hope people don't mind answering?

No need to apologise, welcome to AF! :)

1) I understand from reading about the Advanced Ace Hack Kit that this is the easiest method of rooting my handset. Is there an alternative method to this that doesn't include Busybox? (I'd like to keep the phone as stock as possible)

When you say stock as possible, do you mean you're just looking for root access? You don't want to install a custom ROM or anything fancy like that?

2) I'd like to flash the handset with an RUU, just for starters... Am I right in saying that this release (RUU_Ace_HTC_WWE_1.32.405.3_Radio_12.28b.60.140e_26.03.02.15_M3_release_155032_signed.exe) is the same software version as my currently installed Orange branded rom but with the exception of it being a generic HTC rom? If so... Will this work on my device?

apologies again for jumping on the back of this thread.

Gavin

I'm not sure an unbranded RUU would work on a branded handset? I'm about 70% sure that using a goldcard and an unbranded RUU would work, but can't find conclusive evidence either way.

Upvote 0
No need to apologise, welcome to AF! :)

Thanks! :)

When you say stock as possible, do you mean you're just looking for root access? You don't want to install a custom ROM or anything fancy like that?

Kinda... I'm still learning the ropes and would like to just flash a generic HTC rom (RUU) for now and pick it up as I go along.

The idea is to flash the same version of software that I have now (2.3.3) but the HTC version rather than the Orange version, and then allowing the OTA update to update to the latest HTC release.

I understand that I need to root the device before I can do this and from what I've read so far, it seems that the Advanced Ace Hack Kit is the man for the job.
But... I noticed from the screenshots that the AAHK does the following as part of the 'one click root' S-Off, Sim Unlock, SuperCID, Root & BusyBox... It's the Busybox bit that I don't want, I assume the rest are compulsory??

I'm not sure an unbranded RUU would work on a branded handset? I'm about 70% sure that using a goldcard and an unbranded RUU would work, but can't find conclusive evidence either way.

Can this be achieved using the AAHK or an alternative without BusyBox?

Upvote 0
As this is sort of veering off course, would you mind me moving our conversation and giving you your own thread?

Yeah, all that stuff is mandatory, from my knowledge of the hack kit (it's been a while since I rooted and I had to do it manually), it needs all those things to make the process work. A lot of root apps need Busybox to work, Titanium Backup being one of them.

Busybox doesn't actually appear in the app drawer, it just sits silently doing its own thing in the background when needed, so there's no real harm in it being there.

Once the Hack Kit is run, it's relatively easy to install a ROM, so there's no harm in going for it, there are plenty that look like stock.

Upvote 0
Not at all... :) That makes sense.

Okay, so the hack kit doesn't seem all that bad afterall. I'll give it a go at the weekend when I've got the time to sit down and do it properly.
Just out of interest... What is involved in rooting manually?

Am I right in saying that once I have run the hack kit, I will be able to flash a rom by means of RUU?
If so... Is there anything else I need to be aware of when doing this?

Many thanks for your help so far!

Upvote 0
No problem, moved! :)

You flash a ROM a tool called clockwork (it's installed by the hack Kit), but it's a relatively simple process. On a very basic level, you put the ROM zip file on your SD Card, boot into clockwork, select install ZIP from SD Card and it will install stuff for you. There is a little more to it than that, but not much and we have guides etc you can read dependant on each ROM.

There's a summary of how you used to have to root and install a custom ROM here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/354749-how-root-install-custom-rom-desire-hd.html

There are further links in that if you want to take a peek at some of the commands you needed to type etc, what took about 2 hours before hand now takes less than a quarter of the time!

Upvote 0
I'm also an Orange branded DHD user that's Sense 2.1. I'm slightly nervous about rooting my phone as I'm sure my insurance will be void if I do. Curious about it though. Anyone know if it would affect an insurance policy on the phone?

Yeah, rooting will void the warranty, not sure about the insurance though. If you lose the phone, drop it in water or it's stolen etc, that's obviously not root related so it would depend on what the insurance company are like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones