• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Acer A500 Battery

Baluka

Lurker
May 6, 2011
I purchased my Acer A500 on April 29th and as soon as I got it home I plugged it in and started playing with it. I downloaded several apps including one for working with the files especially in move files from a USB drive to the the micro sd card I purchased for the A500.
I also downloaded so apps that I purchased from the apps store and ran into the same error as others experienced but learned quickly the back button trick to go on into to purchase or even look at various apps. It's funny that it only errors out on apps for purchase never on any of the free apps. :)
I also copied several movies and some music to test everything out and liked how it all was working. I charged it up for over four hours and the battery charge was showing 100% so I unplugged it from the (too short):( power cable and took it for a test drive so to speak.
Everything was fin and I ran the battery down below 80% and called it a night. The new day I continued playing with tablet and ran it down to under 60% charge and decided to recharge it back up and plugged it back in.
It was at 56% charge and several hours later it was still at 56% and I thought it might be the charger so I tried for the next day to get it to charge, if I unplug it the battery continued to drop and I then discovered that so long as I keep it plugged in the battery level stayed the same, as soon as I uplugged it and used it for few the battery level started dropping again. (not the power charger)
I finally had to admit that the problem was I had a defective battery.:mad:
I wanted to exchange it at Best Buy but none of the stores in the area had any in stock and none of them were getting any more in.
The customer (no service) at the store told me I had to bring in back within 14 or they woud not take it back and that they could do nothing to get me a replacement and I would just have to bring it in for a refund.:thinking:
I purchased it because I was going to be away from home for two weeks and wanted to have it to use.
I called customer service online and they arranged for me to return the defective one to a local store and arranged to ship a new one to me. I returned the defective one a few hours later and within 24 hours received an email that the new one was being shipped.
How hard would it have been to give me that kind of service in the store? The guy that worked with me on the phone was fantastic and was great to work with. :) I think from now on I will avoid the retail stores and now i remember why I stopped shopping at that store. :mad:
By the way I sent an email to Acer and it has been 5 days and no response from them.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones