1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Acer Iconia A500/Toshiba Thrive/Asus Transformer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pfs2978, Aug 22, 2011.

1. pfs2978

pfs2978 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Good evening all,

I am looking for users experiences with these devices. These devices are all about the same price range. Hardware wise as far as I can tell are about the same and I believe they are all up to the same version of Android.

1. I am looking for one that is not overly heavy but built well, something that would be comfortable to hold and use as an ereader (google books)

2. Display is my other thing, I want something that will handle video playback very well (althought I dont think netflix is out for any of them yet)

3. I dont expeect bose level speakers but would also like one that sounds decent for music play back.

4. As long as it has a USB connection for keyboard/mouse/usb thumb drive/external drive thats really the only connector I care about. All others are just icing on the cake.

I will be using this primarily for school.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

P

Advertisement

2. chaosking121

chaosking121 Lurker
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    Judging by no. 4 the Transformer is out because it doesnt have a USB port build it, although it has two in the keyboard dock. However, from your other needs spending $150 on the dock just to get the USB port (which i've read doesnt even work right yet) doesnt make a lot of sense. Both the iconia and thrive have full USB ports with host support, allowing you to connect almost anything :)

About number 3, the Acer definitely has the best speakers. Hands down. But, in terms of resolution, which to me is more important than viewing angles, all 3 are equal as well as being of the same size. My statement stems from my owning of an iPod Touch 4th Gen, which has the same resolution as the iPhone 4 but poor viewing angles. In all my time with the device this has never bothered me, therefore i doubt it would bother me much on the tablet, however this is just my opinion.

Number 2, the asus has the best display but i dont think thats what your asking. All being honeycomb tablets and based on the Tegra2 SoC they will all handle pretty much any video you throw at it (maybe not all 1080p, but i cant confirm).

Number 1, the Asus is bar none, the lightest and thinnest of the group, with both the thrive and the iconia being very similar in weight and thickness. I dont consider them that heavy but its something to consider.

Personally, I'm getting one of these next month for my birthday and I believe i will go with the Iconia 16 GB. From the time i saw it on Amazon it caught my eye and although the Transformer has a better screen and is lighter the lack of a USB port kills it in my opinion. Considering i share your needs (with the exception of no. 3 and the added need to root easily) i would recommend this device. However, it's up to you. All comes down to price and the need of the USB port and/or keyboard dock.

Good luck on your purchase! :)

Btw, joined this forum just to answer this question! haha

3. pfs2978

pfs2978 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks for the very detailed response, it is all very helpful info. I think at this point i have narrowed it down to the Thrive or the A500. Now I guess the next stop is to find one local so I can play with both and see if the heftyness of the Thrive will make a difference.

Thank you, and welcome to the forum :)

Paul

4. pfs2978

pfs2978 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    One other thought came up, what are the GPS chips in these devices, do any of them have a GPS unit that doe snt also need a cell connection to work ?

5. chaosking121

chaosking121 Lurker
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    All three have gps but to load map data that you haven't cached or isnt stored on the device it will require a data connection. In my country (not from the US) GPS navigation is horrid so i don't really know much about it other than that. however to answer your question specifically : Yes, all three have GPS units that will find your location without a data connection, but without this data connection that location data is pretty much useless unless you have cached map data. imo, the gps is more for apps like foursquare or 'nearby' searches on twitter and the like than a fully fledged navigation device.

6. pfs2978

pfs2978 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks CK :) I had been questioning it because I read in 2 random google searches that the Toshiba Thrive had a different gps chip/radio that would allow gps functions without a cell signal. Something like a-gps. I was trying to find the 2 articles I read but cant at the moment. Thanks for claryfing :)

7. chaosking121

chaosking121 Lurker
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    sorry to bring back an old thread, but just an update, i ordered the Acer Iconia Tab A500 off of amazon for $372.96 US and it just arrived at my skybox today (to ship to my country). Did you chose a tablet yet? I probably wont get the tablet until my birthday (parents bought it with their credit card) so i may post a short review then.

8. mgil82

mgil82 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm deciding between Iconia an Asus tablets, I'm in pro for the Iconia because of the USB port, I already have an old Archos 10.1 and I can't imagine a tablet without USB ports, but my doubt is about the LCD screen on the iconia vs the LED screen of the Asus? what about it?
    The screen of my archos tablet has a TFT LCD and it really sucks!!! the viewing angle is very limited and and the light reflecting over the screen. Is there a relevant difference about the screen between the Asus and Iconia tablets?