• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Here we go. Seems to be a very small limit on this site for pic size, so apologies on the size.

Attachments

• Dsc00551.jpg
    Dsc00551.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Dsc00550.jpg
    Dsc00550.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Dsc00552.jpg
    Dsc00552.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Dsc00553.jpg
    Dsc00553.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Ok I've now had a go with the USB.

I copied over the user guide which is a PDF to my SD card on my camera. I then used my USB card reader to copy these items over to the Iconia Tab. I used that Astro File Manager - there may be other ways but that's all I know so far - I'm an Android newbie!

Anyway can open the PDF fine with the preinstalled Docs To Go and the pics all opened fine, despite being huge in size.

I really think the USB host is the big selling point of this device, yet Acer don't seem to make enough noises about it.

Upvote 0
Here's a very quick vid showing the stock browser, apologies bot not the greatest quality video!

Oh and the keyboard isn't the standard one it's Tablet Keyboard, really meant to be used with thumbs but can't do that and hold the camera hence the one finger typing approach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVzEEVKQ60&feature=youtu.be

Edit: DOh just realised I filmed that in QVGA mode instead of 1080p may try another later!

Upvote 0
Here's a very quick vid showing the stock browser, apologies bot not the greatest quality video!

Oh and the keyboard isn't the standard one it's Tablet Keyboard, really meant to be used with thumbs but can't do that and hold the camera hence the one finger typing approach!

YouTube - Acer A500 standard browser vid

Edit: DOh just realised I filmed that in QVGA mode instead of 1080p may try another later!

Thanks man, appreciate it.
Have you experienced FC's while using the browser?
How does it handle videos, can it play mkv files from a usb stick?
If you hold the a500 the other way in landscape mode (the acer logo upside down) or in portrait mode does it become slower and kind of choppy? (over at xda forums, the xoom seems to have this problem..not sure if it is widespread)

Upvote 0
I've started using Tablet KEyboard too. It's excellent. If you get the paid for version you get arrow keys which will be very useful. I'll upload a vid too in a bit.

Haven't tried videos, I mainly bought it to browse the net on. I will try some of my WMVs and MP4s though.

I mainly use it in Landscape mode. I did try Potrait to read the user guide on it, which was fine.

It's fairly heavy, but no worse than the iPad 1. Thing is even the lighter tablets would be too heavy after short use, so they are really designed to rest on your leg or lap.

Upvote 0
I've been using this tablet the last couple of days and I'm thoroughly impressed. Screen, speakers, build quality. Not to mention ports available and competitive price.

Just curious, I can't setup exchange email with the stock email client? It only gave pop and imap options?

I'm trialing Touchdown in the mean time but surely Honeycomb supports exchange?

Upvote 0
Got my A500 at Best Buy in the U.S. today. I went there to pre-purchase and the guy said they already had them arrive on the truck this morning. Sold me one right there.

Still playing around with the apps and games tonight and getting the first battery charge. So far, it's quite nice. This is my first tablet, so I've got nothing to compare.

Upvote 0
I want this, but it doesn't seem the dev community support will be there.

It seems all the XDA devs are focusing on the Asus Transformer.
Yeah I really don't understand why there is so much love in the Android community for the Transformer and so little for the A500. Spec wise, the tablets are very similar. It seems that dockable keyboard for the Transformer makes it the winner.

Upvote 0
Got an invite to the SwiftKey vip forum today so as of this morning my. A500 is now running SwiftKey tablet beta. :)

It's very nice indeed and easy to use, I'm impressed, think I'll stick with this.

Did you try Thumb Keyboard? I think it's the best keyboard for the Iconia. There's also a beta of the upcoming version at thumb4beta.blogspot.com . Great on honeycomb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones