• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Acer Iconia won't connect to wifi during setup

Paul T

Lurker
Mar 17, 2011
I bought the Iconia tab last night, charged it all night, and was excited to try it out this morning.

I turned it on, started going through the initial setup, and when it got to signing in with my Google account, it of course told me I was not connected to a network. So I set up my home wifi connection, put in the correct password, etc, and honeycomb recognizes it and shows an excellent signal. Perfect. But when I hit "connect", nothing happens. No matter what I try, it won't connect, or even give me an error. The "settings" button doesn't register, nor can I hit "next." I tried hitting "back" and signing in, thinking maybe it just didn't tell me it was connected... but nothing.

Any hints???

hi,

I don't know if this will help. I just read from XDA Developer's website that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 doen't support channels 12-13

I think its a Honeycomb 3.0 issue. So for routers working on channels 1-11 is ok. But routers set on channel 12 or 13 you will not be able to connect to wifi.

cheers :)

p/s I have my router set to channel 9 a while back because my Xperia X8 cannot connect to wifi channels 11-13.

Upvote 0
I am on my laptop, on the web, using the router to type this.

I have tried and tried to get on using the Acer A500 Iconic and it will Not connect.

I have been to McDonalds since this happened and DID connect there. So the thing works.

It says the network I want to connect to exist, but it just sits there and does Nothing.

I have reset the tablet to the original factory condition and nothing. I cannot connect to the home router, but can connect at places like McDonalds.

Upvote 0
Same problem here..I have a WesTell router. my Iphone and labtop has Excellent signal strength...but not my tablet. Any solutions?

I have a westell router too and I had the same problem with anything connecting wirelessly to it. If it's the model 7500 version they apparently shipped some with bad wireless stuff. So try customer service, and if they can't fix it, tell them you heard about the 7500 series having a wireless problem and they should send you a new one. It worked for me.

Upvote 0
I'm able to connect to my wireless modem/router at home when I try to connect to my cell phone which will share up to 5 devices it says there is a excellent connection but web page won't displayAny ideas anybody?

You may need to set DNS manually. In Wifi settings, tap the additional menus button and it should show "advanced". In the advanced settiings you can set the DNS (you should check with your data service provider for DNS settings).

DNS translates a name to an IP address eg google.com = 8.8.8.8.

...or I could be completely wrong, it's just an idea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones