• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Acer updates: Anybody heard anything?

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
I can not get a peep out of Acer, besides scripted silly responses like "the A500 should be used in the room the router is for best signal". No indication of updates when there are at least "three" common ones (this is a summary from another post, with an addition):

1. Device wakes out of sleep mode, regardless of if wifi is on/off, or what apps are active. This drains the battery far more than sleep mode should (of course).

1 a. Sometimes when the A500 does come out of sleep mode unprovoked, the A500 locks up and stays on- draining the battery (of course) and requires a power down and restart.

2. The A500 will sometimes shut off on its own and seems to perhaps be related to the "waking up" issue.

3. The wifi loses connection and then regains (rinse and repeat) in low signal bar areas.

I REALLY like the A500, but can not keep it unless I am sure the issues will be addressed. The wifi issue is not as bad as the waking-up problem. I am on my second A500 and same issues with both units (though the wifi may be a little better- placebo?)

The A500 is sadly becoming bittersweet for me, but all it would take to make it sweet is better communication from Acer.

Did I say I REALLY like the A500? I hope Acer publishes some information ASAP, so I can keep this A500 and not deal with the current issues. Sleep mode seems to be the main issue.

Devil's Advocate says:

Are the issues besides the wifi really a Honeycomb issue and the Trans and Xoom encounter the sleep and lock up issues as well? I know Honeycomb does have freeze issues.

My second A500 is now waking out of sleep mode and not going back to sleep when it does. It seems to have insomnia now. The "wake up", issue is definitely worse in the past few days.

I can put the A500 back to sleep, but within minutes, it pops back up. Does not matter if wifi is on or off and if after a fresh restart or not. It just does what it does.

Seems to be no common app causing the issue, so I stick with my lower level polling theory. The issue has become intolerable and I will reluctantly have to return it, unless I have a tech epiphany, or Acer acknowledges the problems and gives an idea of an update. Two day window for me.

Added:

Hawk, if the issue is lower level, 3.1 will not help. Acer needs to acknowledge the problem, since I see no reports of the same issue on the Trans or Xoom, so this appears 100% Acer and 0% HC. My current theory is it has something to do with USB host polling.

Barring a discovery I have with the current waking issue, I will return the A500 and see if 3.1 fixes it. My return window will not bridge a "June" update. Ironic this is, considering I have been a mainly positive advocate for the A500.

Upvote 0
My second A500 now constantly wakes out of sleep mode and will not go back into sleep mode unless the power button is pressed. Time out has not changed and I even went back to stock set-up. Does it with or without wifi, plugged in or not, fresh restart- no difference.

I had it unplugged and it came on, stayed on and ate a chunk of battery sitting there with the display on. My A500 now stays in wake mode more than sleep- if left unattended.

Deleted my internal space, reset the device (again) and returning to Best Buy tomorrow. Will see what 3.1 does to improve things next month. Bummer, but I am NOT going through installing everything again and setting up to go through it all again.

Acer needs to fix the problems or lose customers.

Upvote 0
My second A500 now constantly wakes out of sleep mode and will not go back into sleep mode unless the power button is pressed. Time out has not changed and I even went back to stock set-up. Does it with or without wifi, plugged in or not, fresh restart- no difference.

I had it unplugged and it came on, stayed on and ate a chunk of battery sitting there with the display on. My A500 now stays in wake mode more than sleep- if left unattended.

Deleted my internal space, reset the device (again) and returning to Best Buy tomorrow. Will see what 3.1 does to improve things next month. Bummer, but I am NOT going through installing everything again and setting up to go through it all again.

Acer needs to fix the problems or lose customers.

Well they lost you pretty quick rush. So now that I have read your posts everywhere you have taken the angry man route with it. You harp on the minor things then wash rinse and repeat it on all the other forums you are on. What this does is plant seeds of discord everywhere you go. End result is lost sales for Acer. You work for the competition I take it, either that or you get picky over the toilet seat being down when you need to use it. Enough with the Iconia bashing Rush. Point is taken, you had some issues, you posted about the same issues hundreds and hundreds of times. Now why don't you go retire to some other forum. You remind me of that Star Trek episode where the red light invaded the ship and fed off of hate and anger lol.

Upvote 0
Well they lost you pretty quick rush. So now that I have read your posts everywhere you have taken the angry man route with it. You harp on the minor things then wash rinse and repeat it on all the other forums you are on. What this does is plant seeds of discord everywhere you go. End result is lost sales for Acer. You work for the competition I take it, either that or you get picky over the toilet seat being down when you need to use it. Enough with the Iconia bashing Rush. Point is taken, you had some issues, you posted about the same issues hundreds and hundreds of times. Now why don't you go retire to some other forum. You remind me of that Star Trek episode where the red light invaded the ship and fed off of hate and anger lol.

It lost me in relation to the return window. $470 is too much of a gamble unless I know it will be fixed. Best Buy was out today, or I would have third one now...... :eek:

Seems there are some bad units, since lots of folks have zero issues. Beginning to wonder if there is a firmware date correlation. Should have checked them before returning.

Upvote 0
It lost me in relation to the return window. $470 is too much of a gamble unless I know it will be fixed. Best Buy was out today, or I would have third one now...... :eek:

Seems there are some bad units, since lots of folks have zero issues. Beginning to wonder if there is a firmware date correlation. Should have checked them before returning.

Hi,

I must say... I bought my Iconia Tab A500 early April 2011.
I have never experience any problems with it.

No problems with Wifi, Wifi Tethering, GPS, Battery drain, Sleep/Wake etc...

Installed Flash 3.0 and Rooted, deleted bloatware, added NTFS support, enabled Exchange Active Sync, enable AD-Hoc Support late April 2011 - still no issues.
OTA system update and Re-Rooted the tablet today - still no issues...

Currently exploring how to use a USB Mobile 3G Wifi dongle with the tablet.
For a mid range cost tablet, it has done better than the iPad2 hands down (sold my jailbroken iPad2 - user environment was too claustrophobic).

Judging by the posts in this forum thus far... I'd guess 851 of you guys are using the Acer Tablet and less than 20% are complaining about it.

Some advice for you folks out there who want to buy a tablet to use with a keyboard or mouse (yes, YOU... PC/laptop umbilical cord syndrome sufferers) - you are not ready to cut the umbilical cord, you are better off using Windows 7 PC/Laptop.

cheers :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I must say... I bought my Iconia Tab A500 early April 2011.
I have never experience any problems with it.

No problems with Wifi, Wifi Tethering, GPS, Battery drain, Sleep/Wake etc...

Installed Flash 3.0 and Rooted, deleted bloatware, added NTFS support, enabled Exchange Active Sync, enable AD-Hoc Support late April 2011 - still no issues.
OTA system update and Re-Rooted the tablet today - still no issues...

Currently exploring how to use a USB Mobile 3G Wifi dongle with the tablet.
For a mid range cost tablet, it has done better than the iPad2 hands down (sold my jailbroken iPad2 - user environment was too claustrophobic).

Judging by the posts in this forum thus far... I'd guess 851 of you guys are using the Acer Tablet and less than 20% are complaining about it.

Some advice for you folks out there who want to buy a tablet to use with a keyboard or mouse (yes, YOU... PC/laptop umbilical cord syndrome sufferers) - you are not ready to cut the umbilical cord, you are better off using Windows 7 PC/Laptop.

cheers :)

My bad luck may be buying from the same place. Maybe they were from the same lot number and next to each other in production and burn in.

Upvote 0
Mine does the same. But if I had to guess I'd say it's a wifi issue. In the presence of certain wifi routers it will wake on it's own, yet in the presence of others, not so much.
I have a memory of being able to turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi and still have the airplane mode stay on. This seemed to help a bit. But now, once that airplane mode goes on, the wifi goes off. Once the wifi goes on, the airplane mode goes off. I wouldn't care, except without airplane mode the cell standy routine really eats the battery.
I have tried installing the downloadable update I got a notice for (136mb, version 4.010.38) but it says my tablet is incompatible. (1.139.05_com_GEN1, android 3.01). I had been told this would fix the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones