• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jeaucamom

Feb 27, 2011
I Am thinking about getting my son an acer Iconia for his bday, but he has to be able to tether internet to it with his phone. Anybody know how? We tried in best buy using wifi tether, every device in the store picked it up except the iconia and the xoom. While ur here, does anyone know of the acers usb can hook up to a printer.

Certainly the Iconia can tether via wireless to a phone, I do via my Galaxy S. Switch on access point on your and wireless on the Iconia, should connect.

As far as I understand I would not think the printer will work, pretty sure you would need specific device drivers for your specific printer, Iconia's USB port is pretty much for storage devices. Would be happy to be proved wrong on this one.

Pete

Upvote 0
Certainly the Iconia can tether via wireless to a phone, I do via my Galaxy S. Switch on access point on your and wireless on the Iconia, should connect.

As far as I understand I would not think the printer will work, pretty sure you would need specific device drivers for your specific printer, Iconia's USB port is pretty much for storage devices. Would be happy to be proved wrong on this one.

Pete

Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for. Also, how do you swith on acess point? I have eris.

Upvote 0
I tether to my HTC EVO all the time with my A500. My EVO is rooted though, and it is running Cyanogen Mod 7, so tethering is super simple with it. You just go to the wireless settings on the phone and activate the tethering and portable hotspot, and then go to the tethering settings and get the access code.

Then just enter the code into the Acer when it tries to establish a connection with the phone and it should link right up. You will only have to do this once, after that it will link automatically if the A500 senses the activated phone hotspot.

Tethering can drain the phones battery, so if i am tethering for an extended period I just use the wall or car charger.

Upvote 0
I tether to my HTC EVO all the time with my A500. My EVO is rooted though, and it is running Cyanogen Mod 7, so tethering is super simple with it. You just go to the wireless settings on the phone and activate the tethering and portable hotspot, and then go to the tethering settings and get the access code.

Then just enter the code into the Acer when it tries to establish a connection with the phone and it should link right up. You will only have to do this once, after that it will link automatically if the A500 senses the activated phone hotspot.

Tethering can drain the phones battery, so if i am tethering for an extended period I just use the wall or car charger.

With the A500 you can just connect the phone to the USB port and it will charge the phone.

Pete

Upvote 0
tHANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. MY SONS PHONE IS ROOTED AS WELL, AND WE FOUND OUT THAT HIS (ERIS) IS THE ONLY PHONE NOT CAPABLE OF TETHERING TO THE ACER. ALSO, DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY WAY OF GETTING A DOCUMENT TO PRINT FROM THE THING? WE THOUGHT WE WOULD JUST PUT THE DOCUMENT ONTO A USB MEMORY STICK THEN PUT THAT INTO THE PRINTER, BUT WE FOUND OUT THAT THE PRINTER DOESN'T PRINT DOCUMENTS THAT WAY, JUST PHOTOS. SO IS THERE ANY WAY OF PRINTING DOCUMENTS OFF THIS THING AT ALL, IF ANYONE KNOWS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, HE WOULD BE GETTING IT UNDER THE SRTICT CONDITION THAT HE WOULD AT LEAST BE ABLE TO DO HOMEWORK ON IT IF HE WANTED TO. tHANKS FOR READING, ALL IDEAS WOULD HELP.

sUSANNA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones