• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Acid Audio Engine

mrrom

Android Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks!
I was Literally JUST about to go searching for this before stopping in.
I hate the audio on this phone

**update VERY IMPORTANT**

after flashing both zips (mod first, then add on) wipe dalvik cache in "advanced" option.

UPON REBOOT YOU WILL GET TO "ANDROID UPGRADING" SCREEN AND REBOOT UP TO SIX TIMES!
DO NOT PULL YOUR BATTERY OR PLUG YOUR PHONE INTO A CHARGER OR YOU MAY GET STUCK.
let the system do it's thing, it can take up to ten minutes but it works wonderfully.

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0
I'm ocd about stuff so here's what I Did...

Backedup rom twice.
Installed acid mod
Wiped dalvik
Had two reboots
Installed addon
Wiped dalvik
Had one reboot

Restored rom
Installed acid
Wiped dalvik
Installed addon
Wiped dalvik
Had four reboots

Restored rom
Installed acid
Installed addon
Wiped dalvik
Had six reboots

Each method worked equally fine as far as I could tell with five minutes of testing between reboots on two different phones

Upvote 0
I just noticed when I try to change the equalizer to Noozxoide, a message pops up saying MusicFX has stopped working.

Also, I used Spotify to play my music. Could that also be a reason it does not work?

read instructions. read them again, then re=read them. Also known as RTFM.
When you disable the buikt-in fx and DTS then it works. At least on mine. Running Darkside Bound latest release (Thanks, KllCmd!) with NO problems, NO spontaneous reboots and now awesome sound!

Upvote 0
I just noticed when I try to change the equalizer to Noozxoide, a message pops up saying MusicFX has stopped working.

Also, I used Spotify to play my music. Could that also be a reason it does not work?

Heres the deal bro, Do like the man says and disable dts sound, select the new music eq under music settings. Then under built in......thats the eq and mods for the speaker. Line in is the eq for the headphone/line out jack. Wireless... well I mean you can figure that one out right? Bluetooth speaker bars and the like. Also, when using music players you may need to select the eq to use in app. One last thing to note, when using the built in speaker, remember to switch the dolby toggle EVERY time! It defaults to headphones otherwise.

Now if it doesn't work for you after that it is one of two things....spotify may not work with it, or the setup may be beyond you. If it is the later I would recommend visiting the original thread and maybe an F.A.Q. thread. Please note I do not say this to be an asshat. Just some good old advice that really works. ;)

Now for everyone else who may be wondering (as I was), you CAN disable/freeze/uninstall the nooz player. It is completely unnecessary, unless you like the whole windows media center look. For me, it was ugly and non intuitive. Otherwise though, this mod is tits. Big ol sexy tits.

:D

Upvote 0
The sound mod is great, but skip the add-on. It's a rip-off version of Zune that can't read playlists and worst of all you can't turn off without rebooting the phone.It looks pretty but overheats the phone. Use Power Amp. Don't use power amps built-in eq, tick Music FX on the tone settings page. As long as you have followed directions for enabling Noozy in the phone's SETTINGS:SOUND:MUSIC FX page you are good to go.

Upvote 0
The sound mod is great, but skip the add-on. It's a rip-off version of Zune that can't read playlists and worst of all you can't turn off without rebooting the phone.It looks pretty but overheats the phone. Use Power Amp. Don't use power amps built-in eq, tick Music FX on the tone settings page. As long as you have followed directions for enabling Noozy in the phone's SETTINGS:SOUND:MUSIC FX page you are good to go.

Can you explain what apps are in the add on? I installed both and don't feel like restoring (done some work on it since my backup), so if you had a list I could begin manually uninstalling/freezing to make an uninstall guide (if its even tricky).

Upvote 0
Can you explain what apps are in the add on? I installed both and don't feel like restoring (done some work on it since my backup), so if you had a list I could begin manually uninstalling/freezing to make an uninstall guide (if its even tricky).

Noozy player is the add-on. according to original thread at XDA do a nandroid 1st, because uninstall is done by restoring your nandroid bckup...... so I just froze Noozy w/ TiBu for now so I got big sexy hairy pecs with PowerAmp (personal preferences :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
someone should do a youtube vid for reference sound quality of before and after using the phone speaker and bluetooth.
im using the stock music player with dsp and through headphones it sounds pretty much as good as it can get.
the phone speaker, well it sounds exactly like what it is...a phone speaker. not even the best phone speaker in the world with the best audio plugins sounds any good.
I mix on milion dollar sound systems everyday for a living...so i pretty much gawk at anything like beats or other "audio enhancing" softwares

Upvote 0
someone should do a youtube vid for reference sound quality of before and after using the phone speaker and bluetooth.
im using the stock music player with dsp and through headphones it sounds pretty much as good as it can get.
the phone speaker, well it sounds exactly like what it is...a phone speaker. not even the best phone speaker in the world with the best audio plugins sounds any good.
I mix on milion dollar sound systems everyday for a living...so i pretty much gawk at anything like beats or other "audio enhancing" softwares

Boneface I used to work soundboards for the local radio stations here, so I have a good ear. This mod will spank that shit into a decent sound. Then the eq and enhancements make it a whole new device soundwise. This mod is absolutely worth it. Do it, you will thank us later. Swear bro. Also, you could do your own before/After video! lol

Upvote 0
Boneface I used to work soundboards for the local radio stations here, so I have a good ear. This mod will spank that shit into a decent sound. Then the eq and enhancements make it a whole new device soundwise. This mod is absolutely worth it. Do it, you will thank us later. Swear bro. Also, you could do your own before/After video! lol

makin vids isnt my thing, and ill stick with dsp since its used in the acid mod anyway lol

Upvote 0
I'm a musician and spend a good amount of time tinkering with sound.
One of my original complaints with the phone was that the audio sounded crunched and slightly muffled. Meaning the range was extremely compressed and lows tended to blot out the mids.
After acid mod I can listen to my recordings and others at higher volumes without audio crunch and lows are nice and clear compared to before.

Upvote 0
idk, i spent the last few days going over these "sound mods" while making updates to stock76.
what i want to know is, does any of these actually sound any different than just using the stock music player and using dsp manager with DTS turned off?
at any rate, all these mods are are just hacked up files from other apps. eq and compression settings from this and that. which is whatever. dsp manager with only the eq enabled still owns it for me.
You also gotta think about the cans your using. i prefer a flat response. headphones with a boosted or cut frequency range just dont cut it for me.

*edit..like i say, it just comes down to a good multiband eq, as mentioned in the video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cdbn_pmxFic

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones