• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ACS] [HOW TO] Root, Flash Roms/Kernels/Themes, CWM, and update! (48 videos) 6/27/11

Hey qbking77. Although I haven't taken the plunge and rooted my phone yet I just wanted to thank you for all the time you've put into all the video's and great work you've done to help the community.

I am a new Android/Smartphone user as of Aug 12, 2011 and my first phone was the Samsung Epic 4G. I came from the Samsung Instinct which was a total nightmare and have no idea why I went with Samsung again after that fiasco. I guess once I saw how great the phone looked, felt and just seemed to be perfect for the price I dove in blindly. I've had nothing but problems with this phone since but with the help of forums like this I have been able to get my phone from 30% stable with the help of Sprint Customer Support and tech reps to 70% stable following the advice of folks like yourself.

I'm a Mac person (go ahead, get all your jokes and laughing out of the way) and this is the main reason I haven't rooted my phone. Now that I have seen your video of rooting without a computer I feel more like taking the dive. Now that we're seeing signs of an OTA Gingerbread coming to our phones soon hopefully I am going to wait for that, see how things go and if I can't seem to get beyond the 70% stability wall I am going to root using your method of "Rooting without a computer". I just wanted to thank you in advance for putting all the time and hard work into bringing all of this information in one easy to find are.

As soon as I can get off of temporary disability and get back to the work force I am going to make sure to send a donation your way for your efforts. Thanks again.

Jim

Upvote 0
Well, I decided to give the root way using the simplified without a computer method but when I run the Gingerbreak apk I get some vibrations like it wants to force close but doesn't. At about 4 minutes it says there was some problem and to manually reboot and see if Superuser is installed. I've done this about 6 times now even redownloaded the Gingerbreak apk but it does the same thing each time.

I set mine up to mirror qbking77's set up so I could easily follow him. I just can't seem to get past the first app. I guess its better that it won't root than to be stuck somewhere that my phone would not be usable. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any info. I am running my stock Epic 4G with Froyo 2.2.1. I've shut off and uninstalled all virus protection and anything else that seems like it would affect it.

Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm going the without a computer route is because I only have Mac's and they are running OS X 10.4 and I haven't found any methods that seem to work with people using less than 10.5. I'm a total noob and don't want to mess my phone up so I was looking for the easiest way to root my phone.

Also, if I eventually get it to work what would be the best ROM to put on my phone. Should I stick with EC05, Gingerbread and whatever else needs to be done after rooting. I guess I'm looking for stability, speed and hopefully better battery life. Wifi is also very important to me so I need to make sure Wifi won't be an issue. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Upvote 0
I seriously appreciate all of qbking77's hard work. He's provided a great service for those wanting to root but having a tough time with only written instructions.

I've tried the "rooting without a computer" and followed his video's exactly but for some reason it doesn't work as it does in the video. I have tried at least 20 times and I keep getting this message:

"Not sure what happened here. Either the exploit failed or the
reboot failed. Please reboot manually and see if you have
superuser."

I'm using the same phone, (Epic 4G on Froyo 2.2.1). Never been rooted. I have removed all anti-virus type apps and anything I thought would get in the way of the rooting process. Aside from doing a hard reset I have tried all that I can think of. Being new to the Android world I don't know a lot about rooting but I did learn a lot about the phone and Android since I have spent over 2 months of tweaking and experimenting using methods from contributors on forums like this to get it working better.

I have been able to find a lot of apps that say they can root the phone without using a PC which I don't have, (Mac OS X running 10.4.11) but so far none of them have worked. Is there anyone out there that has a working "rooting without a computer" or at least a way of rooting my phone using a Mac running OS X 10.4.11. I am so tired of waiting for Gingerbread and not even sure they'll be giving it to us for a long time if at all now.

I was wondering if the moderators would be willing to allow a section for rooting and flashing for Mac users. I find it hard to believe that there aren't a lot of people out there with only Macs that would like to root their phones. I have tried to do searches but they keep throwing out a ton of posts but none seem to answer how to successfully root without a computer or with a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm on disability right now and cannot afford to purchase a PC just so I can root my phone or pay $150+ to update my OS X to 10.5 and that doesn't even guarantee I will be able to do it successfully. I'm pulling my hair out trying to root my phone. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Upvote 0
OK, so I'm new to sprint and to Samsung phones. I was forced into switching because of a bad break up with my now ex-fiance. Long and short...she was and is the account holder of the Verizon account so I left it with her. Anyways I've had HTC phones with Verizon and I love them. I have this Samsung Epic or should I say the Galaxy S? No real idea which phone is which to be honest. Anyways I have downloaded the drivers on my laptop and they are good. I downloaded the root package that has everything I need in it and I have followed all the steps so far but I can't seem to root. Under the root package file that I downloaded, when I run the command dos screen it tells me the phone is not connected. Now I don't even have the cord for my phone, at least not yet. And by the way as many times as I have tried to watch the how to videos I can't. This POS laptop has no sound for some reason. I'm still new to rooting so I'm not into writing the script myself. So if guys and gals could please help me out here that would be awesome. I'll be checking this thread every 20 minutes.

Upvote 0
Hey...nevermind. I just kept hitting enter on the dos prompt screen and it eventually went into the right thing and I'm rooted. Now I'm going to flash my first rom. I think I'm going to try the newest urban regeneration if I can find it. I have found the download link for the original. Might try Emerald Envy if I can't find the new one of regeneration. Thanks again for any help that was going to be given.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm back yet again. I went to reboot my phone and while it is rooted it is stuck on the samsung screen. I've tried to get into recovery mode and haven't had any luck. I can get into the download mode to use with Odin but I don't know how to put the files I need in Odin to put on my phone. Is there a link or post about that already? Otherwise I think I may have at the very lease soft bricked my phone. Kind of freaked out right now....:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones