• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activate Eris on new line?

nomarsgirl

Android Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2010
Red Sox Nation
Hello! My new phone will arrive today. My daughter and I both got our Eris phones at Christmas 2009 with the BOGO offer. Physically, mine is in much better condition than hers. Teenagers rough on phones? Who would have thought?

Anyway, she'll probably get a new phone soon, but for the time being, I was planning on activating my Eris on her number. I'm currently rooted and running Condemned. Since her phone has always been stock, I plan to flash XTRSense before I give it to her. (Thought about Flashback to unroot, but she probably won't know the difference).

Anyway, once I wipe the phone and flash the ROM, how do I activate it with her number? I know she will sign in with her Google credentials to get her apps and contacts back. I just don't know about the phone number. Do we have to call Verizon?

You don't have to call Verizon - you can activate a particular phone on a particular line using your online My Verizon account on verizonwireless.com, then dial *228 and option 1 to activate it, but I think its easier to call Verizon and have them walk you through it.

(800) 922-0204 or call *611 from your new phone.

xtrSENSE is a good idea, in my opinion.

Reactions: nomarsgirl
Upvote 0
Well, she doesn't want to have to set her phone up again, so I think she's just going to keep her Eris for now until it completely falls apart, no longer works, or she gets a new phone.

I was hoping she would like my Nexus since they are now a penny. She wanted to like it, but it doesn't fit in her pocket. I think she is holding out for the new iPhone to see if that results in a major price drop for the current model. She's not an Android disciple. I think she will be happier with an Apple product.

Upvote 0
Well, she doesn't want to have to set her phone up again, so I think she's just going to keep her Eris for now until it completely falls apart, no longer works, or she gets a new phone.

I was hoping she would like my Nexus since they are now a penny. She wanted to like it, but it doesn't fit in her pocket. I think she is holding out for the new iPhone to see if that results in a major price drop for the current model. She's not an Android disciple. I think she will be happier with an Apple product.

You might be able to root hers, perform a NAND backup, and restore it on the newer phone. I'm not 100% sure but ask around, it might do a bit of good.

Upvote 0
You might be able to root hers, perform a NAND backup, and restore it on the newer phone. I'm not 100% sure but ask around, it might do a bit of good.

That's a great idea. I'll ask around in the root section. We were going to swap the SD cards anyway so she'll have her pictures and stuff. Then she wouldn't even need to run a custom ROM. I'd make the NAND of her stock ROM just as you normally do immediately after rooting the phone.

I think you have to change something in the file name of the backup to restore it on a different phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help everyone. Switch completed. The hardest part was convincing her that it made sense to switch phones since hers was missing the volume rockers, the back cover didn't fit, the microphone was broken and the YouTube app and stock browser had disappeared. Didn't bother trying to restore a nand of her old phone onto the new one. She decided she didn't mind setting it up again. I don't think she had ever done a full factory reset on the old phone and it was full of junk she doesn't use.

I did flash xtrSENSE on it. She was less than thrilled that her phone is rooted, but she'll get over it. She thought mine was really slow before (when I was running Condemned). I hope this will be as fast or faster than her old stock phone.

A phone always feels brand new after it has been wiped. Now this phone should last for her until she figures out what she wants for a new phone. And I will want my Eris back when she replaces it. I'm gonna miss the little guy.

Upvote 0

Yes, this would work. It is a bit complicated - with Amon_RA Recovery, Nandroid backups are stored in a specific subfolder under the /Nandroid folder (it is HTCXXetc., where "XXetc." is an internal identifier for that piece of hardware.) So, you'd have needed to root and back up her phone, find out the HTC number of your phone, copy that backup folder to the SD card on your phone, and the Nandroid Restore would work fine.

Pretty slick, but it appears that it was unnecessary in this case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones