1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Activate Google Now (Siri equivalent)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jcal0820, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jcal0820

jcal0820 Newbie

I recently got a new Galaxy S5, with service through Verizon... One feature I want to use is the Google (Now?) function that allows it to operate like Siri in iOS, whereby you depress & hold the bottom home button to activate voice command. How do you configure that in Settings?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Moved to S5 forum. :)

3. Pep

Pep Android Enthusiast

I think you could using Nova Launcher and change the home button to what ever you want.

Pep

4. bhl62

bhl62 Member

Press and hold brings up Google Now (equivalent of saying 'OK Google' on the home page that has the Search widget visible).

Double press brings up SVoice (equivalent of saying 'Hi Galaxy' - but I've had mixed results with that).

If you want to be able to use 'OK Google' when the phone is locked, go into Google Now settings and train it to recognize your voice. Then you can push the power button to bring it out of standby, say OK Google, wait for the double beep and ask your question. I can make it work while on my hip-holster and you get voice responses to direct questions (like 'what's the time'), which can be useful while driving.

There's a list of common Google Now commands floating around on the internet (with the expected set of Easter eggs). Here's one: List of Google Now voice commands

5. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

Can someone tell me how to get this back? I was messing with settings today and changed what the home button does so it doesn't bring up google now or S voice and I can't for the life of me figure out how to reset it back to that. Mary

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews